Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem under the hood--->solved!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 03:23 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: problem under the hood

Dude this is potentially a serious issue. I know exactly where you are talking about. If the fluid is just leaking out it may have been overfilled. If STEAM is coming out then the coolant is getting too hot. Keep an eye on your engine temp. Also when the engine is cold check the coolant level in the resevior. You may have boiled off alot of the coolant.you may have a problem with your thermostat. Have you had any work done recently?
Old 05-18-2007, 07:15 PM
SeanoStang
4th Gear Member

so the mech said that during the maintainence last weekend they probably overfilled the radiator, and so now its ok. he said to keep an eye on it and if it happens again, bring'er in. but so far so good. it kinda looks like the coolant is a little low now. maybe a little water.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:17 PM
oshkoshbajawsh
I ♥ Acer

this is not normal go to a different dealer
Old 05-18-2007, 07:42 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SeanoStang

so the mech said that during the maintainence last weekend they probably overfilled the radiator, and so now its ok. he said to keep an eye on it and if it happens again, bring'er in. but so far so good. it kinda looks like the coolant is a little low now. maybe a little water.

If any hot liquid is escaping, there is the potential for steam. It still could just have been too full. Don't add anything to it. Make a little reference line on the side and watch it. If the level stays the same, nothing is wrong. If you have a head leak, it will go down. If you are getting exhaust compression back up through there, you have a crack in a cylinder. Just watch it. Don't freak. Nothing has happened yet to warrant that. It may in the end be serious, but too soon to tell.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:35 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

That's not normal like mentioned, but they could have overfilled it. I would keep an eye on it. I don't think it would be a thermostat problem cause if it was stuck closed, your egine would overheat quickly, if it was stuck open if would be cooler than normal and probably getting crappy mpg and not running on par. After a few days, i would add coolant back to the fill mark, not over, or just under it and keep an eye on it to see how it goes.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:04 AM
SeanoStang
4th Gear Member

yeah im gonna fill it to the mark tomorrow cuz its low for sure

yeah so its not overheating
engine doesnt shake
car runs just as it always had
no dash lights are flashing at me

i guess we'll see
Old 05-19-2007, 04:04 PM
SeanoStang
4th Gear Member

so apparently the problem was just a faulty cap that was holding at 16psi.....so they replaced it and all is good
Old 05-19-2007, 04:21 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I found this thread late...

Anyways, I did a coolant replacement and I had to do it several times to make sure the old was out. Anyways, after the whole process was done I heard a pressurized leaking sound from the resovoir cap... So I went and bought another.

Anyways, thats my story. You need that system to hold its pressure - plain and simple.

Oh, and let me share a discovery with you... When the coolant system loses pressure, and the car continues to run, it will start pouring coolant out of several vents in the system at a high rate. Within minutes you'll be out of coolant. Or even less time. So yes folks, make sure your systems are pressure-leak proof!
Old 05-19-2007, 04:38 PM
SeanoStang
4th Gear Member

yeah they checked the system and the system was good, but the cap wasnt
Old 05-19-2007, 06:02 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Also, if anyone wants to do preventative maintenance... Checker/Shragen/Krugen sells the cap for only $2.49, part #11238

Quick Reply: problem under the hood--->solved!!!