Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting my chin spoiler and have some paint questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 05:47 PM
jbfralix
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Painting my chin spoiler and have some paint questions...

The trick with plastic is to get all mold release agents off. Cervinis stuff always is slick with it. Their instructions are real good though. I can't say enough about prep though. Since their website always has some type of certificate troubles... copied below from link https://www.cervinis.com/Files/File/...ions(2-up).pdf:
1. To remove any mold release contaminants, clean the back of the part
fi rst. Using 2 new clean rags, saturate the fi rst rag with plastic prep cleaner* and begin cleaning. Then use the second rag to remove the prep cleaner. Continuously fold both rags to their clean sides during the process. Use 3 sets of new rags throughout the process. This prevents mold release contaminants from transferring to the painted surface.
2. Repeat step one on the front of the part.
3. Rinse the part with water. Apply a generous amount of Ajax® or sand
fi x* to a red scuff pad* (3M Scotch Brite Brand) and scrub the surface to be
painted THOROUGHLY (especially where the 2-sided tape is installed, on the back side of the part, and all the hard to reach areas). Then rinse with
water and dry. The scrubbed surface should be dull. If any shiny spots show, repeat the process on those areas.
4. Using another set of clean new rags, again clean the surface to be painted with plastic prep cleaner.
5. Spray the surface to be painted with adhesion promoter* including the areas where the 2-sided tape is installed (follow the instructions on the can for application and drying time).
6. Apply 3 to 4 coats of urethane primer* with
flex additive* (follow the instructions on the can for application and drying time).
7. Wet sand primer with 600 grit sandpaper. Be careful not to sand through the primer. If you do, you MUST clean those areas with plastic prep cleaner, apply adhesion promoter and prime. Once the primer has dried, wet sand the areas that were touched up. Your surface is now ready for paint.
* These items can be purchased at any auto body supply store.
Good luck!followed EXACTLY
for
PROPER ADHESION and to prevent fi sh eyes.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Pantera72
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Painting my chin spoiler and have some paint questions...

Thanks guys, I almost have it done already! Another coat of paint tomorrow and she should be good to go.