Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 vs. V8

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: V6 vs. V8

ORIGINAL: 07Windveil

I don't think anyone said theyperformed the same - or even "almost" the same, but it is interesting to see the hard numbers.I did say that I didn't feel much of a difference between the 07 GT vert autoand the07 V6 stick, but I also conceded that it was a "test drive", not a day at the track.The raw performance data is indisputable.At least things have come a long way from the late 80's/early 90's when you had to choose between a 5.0 or a 2.3. The V6 is now in a different category than what "base models" used to be.UK Pony said it all, as long as we love what we got who cares?
Although not made clear by myself, part of my post was meant for those who have posted on other threads about how the V6 was so close or even quicker than the V8 . I'm just pointing out that that is just a bunch of BS. In the real worldof cars1.4 seconds difference 0-60, and 1.5 seconds and 10 MPH in the 1/4 mile isBIG.These are not just a "driver's race"(as the GT driver would need to be asleep to loose the 0-60 or 1/4 race), but reflective of the HP and torque difference of the cars that weigh very close to the same.And, I am not slamming a V6 owner, as people buy what theywant. I amtaking issue withthose that think the performance is "close".

As for the auto versus manual GT comparison, take a look around the web and see what the difference is between the two performance wise. You will see that these are indeed very close .

Old 06-02-2007, 11:12 PM
PaceStang
2nd Gear Member

I disagree with the "insurance" statement. Mine is a V6 and is classified for insurance purposes, as a sports car and I can back that with 3 other insurance companies. Maybe depends on the state but mine is classified "sports car". I'm sure there is a major difference in driving a V6 versus a GT.

This is my 3rd Mustang. 1st was a V8, 2nd was a 4 and now a V6. Personally, I don't go for speed, thats why I chose a V6. I love the appearance of a stang. Ireally don't understand the debate on 6 vs 8 but it is on every forum and at every car show or cruise in. Regardless of cylinders, we are all Mustangs. If you like the appearance of a stang but don't want excessive speed, lower car insurance, and better mpg, go with a V6. Believe me, the V6 Mustang is a heck of a lot faster than any V6 Dodge. Had the dealer tell me himself. Anyway, no debate, big difference btwn 6 and an 8.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Abom
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jets12
The V6 Mustang is not considered a SPORTS CAR. check with all the insurance companies.

This thread is like having THIS conversation....

I ate a very large apple yesterday, but today I ate an orange and the flavors were very very different.

in nutshell we buy, for several reason.

Mine was price first, and speed second. If I could afford the GT model I would buy it. BUT with all the tickets I would have gotten, would make it worse...
My V6 is considered a "sports car". Any 2 door vehicle is considered a "sports car" to insurance companies, irregardless of make, model,hp or anything else.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:20 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Abom

ORIGINAL: jets12
The V6 Mustang is not considered a SPORTS CAR. check with all the insurance companies.

This thread is like having THIS conversation....

I ate a very large apple yesterday, but today I ate an orange and the flavors were very very different.

in nutshell we buy, for several reason.

Mine was price first, and speed second. If I could afford the GT model I would buy it. BUT with all the tickets I would have gotten, would make it worse...
My V6 is considered a "sports car". Any 2 door vehicle is considered a "sports car" to insurance companies, irregardless of make, model,hp or anything else.
I know...my '82 GT was considered a "sports car" and it has less horsepower than my V6.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:04 AM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

No matter what anybody says about the S197 Mustang,Ford stillSELLS more V-6s.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:09 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my first mustang

That maybe true. No dought about it, the lower price is more palitable to some. Some folks just gotta have a steak instead of chopped beef though.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:15 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

Whats up with the SOS on the fender there SDS guy?
thats actually a D for Diego. San Diego Special (SDS)

the camera angle makes the D look like an O i guess.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:42 AM
07Windveil

[blockquote]quote:

I don't think anyone said theyperformed the same - or even "almost" the same, but it is interesting to see the hard numbers.I did say that I didn't feel much of a difference between the 07 GT vert autoand the07 V6 stick, but I also conceded that it was a "test drive", not a day at the track.The raw performance data is indisputable.At least things have come a long way from the late 80's/early 90's when you had to choose between a 5.0 or a 2.3. The V6 is now in a different category than what "base models" used to be.UK Pony said it all, as long as we love what we got who cares?
[/blockquote]
Although not made clear by myself, part of my post was meant for those who have posted on other threads about how the V6 was so close or even quicker than the V8 . I'm just pointing out that that is just a bunch of BS. In the real worldof cars1.4 seconds difference 0-60, and 1.5 seconds and 10 MPH in the 1/4 mile isBIG.These are not just a "driver's race"(as the GT driver would need to be asleep to loose the 0-60 or 1/4 race), but reflective of the HP and torque difference of the cars that weigh very close to the same.And, I am not slamming a V6 owner, as people buy what theywant. I amtaking issue withthose that think the performance is "close".
I'm new on this forum but not new to the hobby. I amalsoa long, long way from being a kid . I understand torque, horsepower, the laws of physics, etc, Scotty. I wastalking about SUBJECTIVE feeling from my own point of view and the conditions I did the test drive. And, if you check, I did make it a point to saythat the numbers didn't lie in REAL test situations. I do not BS anyone, in life or on the internet and I do not post opinions or conclusionsabout anything I do not have experience with (unless Iactually say that I'm guessing).The written (or in this case typed) word is very easy to misunderstand compared to a face to face conversation. Perhaps I am now the one misunderstanding because I am feeling a little unwelcomed. I guess this really is a "debate" thread after all and that is something I do not like to do, so to clearly state: My intent was to convey my astonishment (again, "subjective" - this means my own feelings) about the performance of the V6 not to suggest that there is little difference between the V6 and GT. Obviously the GT is a vastly superior machine, so it is not neccessary to prove that to me. Thanks for the stats and the explanation anyway.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:35 AM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

[blockquote]quote:

[/blockquote]
I'm new on this forum but not new to the hobby. I amalsoa long, long way from being a kid . I understand torque, horsepower, the laws of physics, etc, Scotty. I wastalking about SUBJECTIVE feeling from my own point of view and the conditions I did the test drive. And, if you check, I did make it a point to saythat the numbers didn't lie in REAL test situations. I do not BS anyone, in life or on the internet and I do not post opinions or conclusionsabout anything I do not have experience with (unless Iactually say that I'm guessing).The written (or in this case typed) word is very easy to misunderstand compared to a face to face conversation. Perhaps I am now the one misunderstanding because I am feeling a little unwelcomed. I guess this really is a "debate" thread after all and that is something I do not like to do, so to clearly state: My intent was to convey my astonishment (again, "subjective" - this means my own feelings) about the performance of the V6 not to suggest that there is little difference between the V6 and GT. Obviously the GT is a vastly superior machine, so it is not neccessary to prove that to me. Thanks for the stats and the explanation anyway.
Why you are most welcome
Old 06-03-2007, 08:03 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my first mustang

Your point is? Of course that's true, and Dodge sells more V-6 Chargers than Hemi R/T models too. It's all the illusion of "perceived" performance and the "lot of car for the money" factor. I'm sure if Chevy sold a 300hp S/C V-6 Corvette for $32-35K it would outsell the Z51 and Z06 models combined, people want value and prestige and if you can get a V-6 Mustang for around the same price as a decked out Focus, well, duh! A person would go for the glamorous car 9 out of 10 times. People want their cars to reflect them(at least their tastes) and there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a scoop of vanilla with whip cream and chocolate syrup, because to some it tastes like a hot fudge sundae..........

Quick Reply: V6 vs. V8