Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STEERING WHEEL SHAKE WIth 20S

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:40 PM
offrdmania
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: STEERING WHEEL SHAKE WIth 20S

A true balance would require hammer on weights on the outside and inside lip of the wheel. Most people these days dont want a nasty looking hammered on weight on their nice new shiny wheel so they opt for stick on weights. By doing a stick on weight you arent able to get the weight all the way on the outside of the wheel so the balance isnt going to be exactly as it should. Usually the weight only gets put in the middle of the wheel. This will cause a slight shimmy at higher speeds. Notice that your stock wheels have hammer on weights on the outside and inside lip. They probably dont shake at all...
Old 06-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

If it has been rebalanced and aligned and the wheels are brand new, then you may want to check the steering column. Also if your tires are directional, make sure they are correctly installed.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:30 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

One of the first things I did when I got my 2007 GT with 18s was to take it out on the Freeway to test how the wheel balance was. It is super smooth at all speeds. Very impressive balance work by the folksat Flat Rock! They used clip on weights on the inside wheel edge and stick on behind the spokes.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Gman13
3rd Gear Member

I've gotta go with the bent rim on this one. The shop may not have noticed because they probably were not looking for it. If the wheel is only slightly bent, it may be hard to see unless you are looking for it. You may even have to have them pull the tire off to check it... that's the bad news... the good news is, it should be one of the front tires, so they won't have to pull all 4 tires.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:57 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Lazy wheel balancing is a culprit too. All too often the tech's put the weights in the general area and send them away. Very rarely do they re-check them after the weights are on.

I know all about bent wheels - rumble strips and the factory bullets don't mix. I bent 3 out of 4 - ahh the price of a quick lap
Old 06-04-2007, 11:32 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

if you cant get it back to the shop right away-or if they check out OK- I'd suggest jacking up the car and spin the wheels- if its bent .030 or more, you will be able to see it wobble by eye...the other thing to watch for would be a ply separation or something like that in the tires- if you spin them and a belts broken, you'll see it bigtime. I would have to guess with the ultralow profile tires that damaging the tires when installing would be easy to do. spinning them on the car will also point you in the right direction if somehow an axle flange got bent/machined wrong, oversized bore register on the axle hub, etc...

another thought- have them dual plane balance the things, but dont correct with weights- just see if one may be showing huge dualplane error- if you can narrow it down to the worst one, suggest breaking the beads, rotate the tire 180, reseat and check again.

lastly- whever I mount my tires, I usually line up the valvestem with a letter or something on the tire, and drive a few miles accellerating/stopping hard- Ive seen over 45 degrees slippage on fresh mounted tires- guessing due to the lube/soap whatever they use to put them on...anyway, if they slip the balance is shot- beat on them a little to get them seated, then get them balanced. never noticed one move after a mile or two of driving.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:38 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Well, just b/c the wheels were rebalanced 3 times doesn't mean their balanced. Removing the rotor retaining nuts and using centering rings was a good step.

I went through the same thing on more than one occasion with various cars. More times then not the balance was off, only discovering this by taking it somewhere else. The first thing to do is to take it to a different tire shop and have them rebalance it. You'd be suprised how different the machines test.

If the shop confirms they're balanced to zero, I would ask them if their machine detects "run-out" Run-out is a wheel or tire that is not truly round, but sort of egg shaped. This is different from a bent wheel, rather run out is a defect inmanufacturing. Your local Lexus dealer's machinedetects this, as well as balance in grams. MB dealers should have this too. They will check it for you for a fee of course. It also helps that our wheels have the same lug pattern as Lexus. I had to return 4 American Racing wheels due to excessive run out. They finally accepted them back when I gotprint out from Lexus diagnosing the problem.

There should be no shake whatsoever from properly mounted, centered, and balanced wheels/tires that are free from defects. Anyone that tells you differently is making excuses for something or someone.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:16 PM
jaredgoodwin

I had my Foose 20's balanced three times, no luck. Went to a different shop, now they are perfect. Some people don't know how to balance wheels. Make sure they put a separate weight on the inside lip and outside lip, not just a weight in the middle of the rim.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:33 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

I didnt realize balancing was such an art. Well I must have lucked out...I run 19 inch wheels and everything is smooth.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:48 PM
guydon
2nd Gear Member

I'm thinking rim damage