Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a tune limit speed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 05:18 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Can a tune limit speed?

Buy this GPS tracking system. Set the speed limiter / notification for whatever speed you feel good about. If you exceed, it will alert you on your cell phone immediately......then you can slow down.....

http://www.mymobileguardian.com/

And, you get a dandy GPS tracking device / theft deterrant to boot.....

Old 06-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

It’s called cruise control lol, works just as well at 30 as it does at 110 mph, there are a few good GPS systems that will alert you when you are going over the posted speed limit also if that’s really what you are looking for.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Spdfreak
1st Gear Member

Damn, just buy a Kia.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:11 PM
VanGTCS
2nd Gear Member

The GPS system looks good, but seems better suited to one off notifications rather than constant monitoring. You could end up getting a dozen text messages / emails within a few blocks if you are just barely exceeding the speed limit, then dropping below it a number of times.

And why the hell would I buy a Kia? If you think the only thing a Mustang is good for is driving fast on public roads, then you live a pretty sheltered life. People buy Mustangs for a wide variety of reasons, one of those reasons of course being that they like to drive fast on public roads. Other reasons for buying a Mustang - like the look of the car, want to drive it fast legally (track), sentimental reasons, etc. Some of the responses just make me laugh... Someone wants to drive their car within the limits of the law and some people think that's wrong. Craziness
Old 06-14-2007, 09:08 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: VanGTCS
And why the hell would I buy a Kia? If you think the only thing a Mustang is good for is driving fast on public roads, then you live a pretty sheltered life. People buy Mustangs for a wide variety of reasons, one of those reasons of course being that they like to drive fast on public roads. Other reasons for buying a Mustang - like the look of the car, want to drive it fast legally (track), sentimental reasons, etc. Some of the responses just make me laugh... Someone wants to drive their car within the limits of the law and some people think that's wrong. Craziness
There is nothing wrong with that...but the absolute laziness to want to make it so that car does this for you is ridiculous. If you cant keep it within 2-3 MPH of the speed limit then that is your problem and you shouldn't expect the car to do it for you! What the hell happens if you have to take a detour or something that requires you to get on the highway....you going to pull over and load another tune just so you can to do...WTF would be the reasoning behind it.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:28 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Get a bus pass and leave the driving to us.....................................
Old 06-14-2007, 09:37 PM
VanGTCS
2nd Gear Member

There really isn't a situation where I would have to take a detourand end up on a highway. You probably aren't familiar with Vancouver, BC, but there is only 1 highwayquite a long way away from me(speed limit 80 / 90km/h and the opposite happens - cars are detoured off of it, not the other way around) and1 *sort of* highway where the speed limit is60 km/h. There are far more places where the speed limit is below 50 km/h as opposed to over it.

You could say the same thing for shift lights - why do you need the car to tell you when to shift? If you can't shift within a 50 or 60 RPM range, then that's your problem and you shouldn't need the car to tell you when to do it. Anti-lock brakes - if you can't tell the pedal pressure needed to stop without locking them up, etc., etc..

Cruise control, power windows, power door locks, pulse wipers... all these things were put into cars for the convenience factor. We are too lazy to roll the windows down ourselves, pulse our own wipers, and so on. Why not be too lazy to maintain a maximum speed?

I do use cruise control a fair bit... I guess I will just have to start using it more than I do already. A great invention would be a driver adjustable governor I think. Even put a lockout code on it so speeds can be limited by rental companies, parents, driving instructors, etc.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:39 PM
SDozier

I certainly wouldn't mind the limit on speed when I hand over the 06 GT to my son. First time driver with this kind of car?

SD
Old 06-14-2007, 09:51 PM
VanGTCS
2nd Gear Member

Me? No, my first car 22 years ago was a 73 Charger SE with a 383 and have had various vehicles from there... some powerful, some not so much. I'm just one of those annoying law abiding people.I don't expect that other people should do the same, but I try to live my life that way.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:56 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

I would not drive if my parents put a speed limiter on my car, how gay is that? its not so much that your kid is going to go 140, its the fact that he knows he CAN go 140. why would you need a 600-700 hp super snake gt500? because you can. your son will hate you forever.