Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:59 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Torque Wrench

ORIGINAL: A_J

Starting with the cheapest is the needle guage type - the main bar of the torque wrench flexes, and there's a needle guage on the side that takes the deflection and gives torque readings. These will do in a pinch, but in my experience they aren't terribly accurate and will eventually get out of whack.

Next is the standard clicker type, set the torque value you want, and it will click when you reach it. This is what I use, I use a Craftsman that was somewhere around $80. 3/8" drive tends to be the most versatile. This is what I'd suggest. Good enough to last and be accurate, but not breaking the bank.

The super high-end digital ones are overkill for most of us, I've been using a standard clicker type all my life.

And remember, a torque wrench is not a breaker bar, get a breaker bar if you need one (or a pipe over the handle of a standard ratchet). Using a torque wrench that way isn't good for it.
I have both a clicker style and a bar style...The bar style IS less accurate, but it's what I have for inch/lbs, bought a LOOOONG time ago by my dad when he was working on his '68 Mustang Fastback (back when it was new!). I'd love a digital, but they're REALLY freakin' expensive for what they are.

As for using a pipe over the end of a a ratchet - [sm=nono.gif]. I sheared off the piece that goes into the top of the socket by doing that. Use a breaker bar if you're going to do anything requiring more torque than you can get via Arm-strong power. Yes, it means having another tool, but there are MANY times when having the right tool for the job is a good thing.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:01 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

I hear ya, pipe over ratchet bad... and yes, I've snapped heads off too, both on ratchets and breaker bars. But I've had times where there was no choice... come to think of it, they were all with an air-cooled VWs..hmm
Old 06-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: A_J

I hear ya, pipe over ratchet bad... and yes, I've snapped heads off too, both on ratchets and breaker bars. But I've had times where there was no choice... come to think of it, they were all with an air-cooled VWs..hmm
Hehe...Well, we came close to something like that with a couple of over-torqued & rusted bolts on our '74 Vette. Bolts held the radiator in, and my dad was going to grab a breaker bar & the jack handle (which was large enough to slip over the breaker bar), and then he smiles and says, "Wait! I have a POWER tool that I can use!"

Next thing I know, he's pulling out the air impact wrench and grunting like Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor because it just spun the bolt right outta there.

But back to torque wrenches...If a bolt says to use a certain amount of torque, GET OUT THE TORQUE WRENCH!!! Don't try to do it by feel. I learned that even 25 ft/lbs. is not very much torque, and if I try to do it by feel, I tend to over-torque it...
Old 07-03-2007, 09:10 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WhoMe

After some searching I've decided on a Husky 1/2 wrench sold at Home Depot and a Kobalt breaker bar sold at Lowes. While my first choice were the craftsmen wrenches, after reading a few poor reviews on Sear's own website I've decided agaisnt it. Also while Sear's offers a one year warrenty on thier craftsmen torque wrenches, the Husky wrench and Kobalt breaker bar come with a lifetime warrenty. I cant thank you guys enough..your advice and info have been invaluable.
Well I ended up doing somthing totally different and like most things I researched this one to death. It turns out from what I can tell NO ONE offers a life time warrenty on this type of tool. Guarentee and Warrenty are different. So the lesson there is when shopping for a torque wrench...make sure you buy the highest quality tool you can afford.

Despite that I decided to go with the Husky anyway as the price and specs were to my liking. Problem...the 1/2 inch wrench was out of stock when I went to get it. So I ended up ordering a wrench from a manufacurer called CDI. Apparently CDI manufacurers torque wrenches for a few different brand names including Snap-On. Basically they sell to industrial customers and obviously the brands we are familer with sell to us. Anyway I ordered this... http://www.emaxaction.com/index.asp?...amp;ProdID=415

So in the end I paid more...but got a better tool. Oh and I went with Craftsmen for the breaker bar...couldnt resist some brand loyalty.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:32 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

A good investment is a impact wrench.
Lets you take your wheels off with ease. also a floor jack.
Walmart sells both. I bought a 1/2 inch electric impact and a Jack Roush Floor jack and some jack stands.
The impact torques them to the correct torque for you, My daughter uses it most of the time.
A Torque wrench is not a practical tool for a new comer.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sprzout
But back to torque wrenches...If a bolt says to use a certain amount of torque, GET OUT THE TORQUE WRENCH!!! Don't try to do it by feel. I learned that even 25 ft/lbs. is not very much torque, and if I try to do it by feel, I tend to over-torque it...
+1. I've snapped more than a few bolts clean off thinking "that should be just about righ... *SNAP* Oh #*@#!"
Old 07-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fourth Horseman

ORIGINAL: Sprzout
+1. I've snapped more than a few bolts clean off thinking "that should be just about righ... *SNAP* Oh #*@#!"
And the worst part is, it'll ALWAYS be in the LEAST accessible place to put an EZ Out to it to get the bolt out...