Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Projector/HID kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:36 PM
cbo0485

Default Projector/HID kit

Okay, well I have an 05 GT, and I would really like to get an HID kit. However, I would like to get projector lamps and an HID kit, anyone done this and where would you suggest is the best place to buy them from?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:05 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Projector/HID kit

HIDs almost always need projectors because reflectors do not have a cut off line. So people still do it, but I feel bad for oncoming drivers. So you're right, you need projectors.

That being said... All projectors available are from 3rd party jap companies and sort of low quality. On almost all of them you need to seal them with silicone. Some sites, like americanmuscle.com have them insanely overpriced. You should get them for $100 off of Ebay. if you really want them....

HIDs can be had for cheap off of Ebay. i got some for my jaguar for $80 and the system rocked. (The jag had projectors though)

Saleen makes reflector HIDs for like $700 for the pair. You'll need to hunt around. Again, they're reflectors so they're ugly like the stock headlights. Since they're made for HID they won't blind oncoming drivers, but you won't get that nice cool projector look and beam.

I've always wanted HID and projectors for the Mustang but there just aren't quality options available.... I've sort of accepted defeat in this area.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:51 PM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

I have 8k HIDS in the head & fog lights, and they get insanely bright( I only drive with the fogs on before night & on backcountry roads) Get a H13 kit for your headlights. With that being said, there is three types of H13 kits-- a H13 xenon low only. a H13 Hi/lo that uses a xenon low & halogen high, and an H13 Bi-xenon. Needless to say that the price nearly double from one to another(with xenon lows running about $100).

This is my absolute favorite mod.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:53 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

The new 08 Stangs will have an HID option. The aftermarket Ford HID Kits are available but at an insane price (over $500 just for one), so I also accepted defeat for now, until there are available to other sources than Ford.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:06 PM
cbo0485

This is where I was looking. It states on their site that if you order projector lights/HID kid they will confirm that the HID's fit in the Projector's before completing the order.

Could I just go to a Ford dealer and could they fill the projector lights with the silicone? Or is that something I could do on my own(im NOT mechanically inclined in any way)

http://www.mytightride.com/fomuprhe.html
Old 07-05-2007, 08:28 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cbo0485

This is where I was looking. It states on their site that if you order projector lights/HID kid they will confirm that the HID's fit in the Projector's before completing the order.

Could I just go to a Ford dealer and could they fill the projector lights with the silicone? Or is that something I could do on my own(im NOT mechanically inclined in any way)

http://www.mytightride.com/fomuprhe.html
Do it yourself.. All you're doing is putting sometime of automotive silicone sealant along the edges of where the lense meets the body. Using silicone is like using a giant industrial version of glue or something.

As for the guy above who said the '08's have HIDs. Not sure if those HIDs use projectors because the giant reflectors are still there. Its *possible* from the pics I've seen that there are small projectors in front of the reflectors, but its a toss-up... If it is projectors in front of reflectors then I think thats awesome because the stock reflectors look 'strong' and I wouldn't want to lose that when going to projectors.

My dream lighting setup is 3000K HIDs, which are bright bright yellow just like LeMans races and stuff like that, with projectors of course. But with the selection we have, not going to bite just yet....