Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCS... what tcs...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 05:19 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Default RE: TCS... what tcs...

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the fact that you should NEVER have the TCS on when running on the drag strip? It KILLS your times.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:50 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

+1 I was wondering that myself.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:52 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the fact that you should NEVER have the TCS on when running on the drag strip? It KILLS your times.
I guess it's because it's such a remedial point that nobody thought it necessary. We nowknow that there isn't anything so basic that it doesn't need reiteration from time to time [8D]
Old 07-21-2007, 09:42 AM
47Magic
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oshkoshbajawsh

i have mine off except in snow, ice, and rain. so... off when its dry.
You drive in the snow??? WOW! There is no chance in hell my rear tires are making contact with frozen water.

As far as the TCS... You should keep it on all of the time, except when you want to do some real performance driving (drift, race, burnout, etc).
Old 07-21-2007, 10:35 AM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

i posted a similar topic with almost the exact same subject line a couple months back.

my wife was ragging on meinthe carand whilestopped ata stop sign waiting to merge onto a highway from a country road i hit the gas prettyhard and totally got sideways. shut the wife up but kind of caught me by surprise, too.

simple fact is that you can easily outdrive the TCS on these cars.

don't rely on it.

ORIGINAL: Justice

What a great system. Cuts the fuel when I went from 2nd to 3rd on the drag strip, screwing up a run that could have gotten me into the high 13's for my 3rd ever run. Yet it pretty much lets me go ALL over the road when I hit the gas a bit too enthusiastically after going trough a puddle tonight.

And before that, on the same day, I nearly get hit by a scion I didn't see while pulling out of the parking lot. Cars parked everywhere, thought it was free... but it was not. The scion had to break, and it was hardly a dangerous situation. Unless I had pulled out a fraction of a second later. I raise my hand saying sorry while gunning it to get out of the way. Perfect tyre roasting drift. The reason I know this is I looked back in the mirrorand saw the smoke raise up from the ground. But again, with TCS on. What is up with this? Is mine BROKE or something?!

And I had this BIG *** rock hit the front bumper + light as it bounced off into other traffic. Minor scratches, buff-able I think, but it made my day a little worse. Could have injured myself, could have busted up the car... and this semi flies that rock at me and scores a direct hit. Not a good day for me... not a good day at all...
Old 07-21-2007, 11:10 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: howarmat

TCS has nothing to do with MPG........its simply prevents the tires from spinning but cutting throttle.....if the tire are spinning at the same rate it wont kick in as often.
Bingo. Tires spinning at the same rate. TCS cant see traction loss
when they both be a spinnin the same RPMs. Nice post.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

+100

newbie mistake there dude!!!!! never race with the TCS on...... the whole point of th system is to stop wheel spin!!!
Old 07-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

I guess it's because it's such a remedial point that nobody thought it necessary. We nowknow that there isn't anything so basic that it doesn't need reiteration from time to time [8D]
Apparently not. Did you read the first line of the first post?[8D]
Old 07-21-2007, 10:08 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I'm not trying to be an *** here... but seriously.. people need to learn how to drive. You don't by a rear wheel drive car with a live axle and not know how to handle it... TCS or not... and if you don't know to turn the TCS off at the track.. you need some more practice.. because the track is no place for TCS..

Again.. not trying to push buttons.. but seriously. You GT guys have a 300HP car and sound like biatches sometimes. 15 seconds in a GT? I would love to race you with my little 6er. It would be a big ego booster for me.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:08 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

I am so confused by this post.

Traction control prevents wheel spin, what the hell are you doing with it ON while racing?

Obviously you can spin the tires with traction control on, it doesnt completely lock the wheels, it just "helps".

Im still yet to see the point of this post........................