Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCS... what tcs...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: TCS... what tcs...

I have no complaints. As I've posted before, I've burned 2nd and chirped 3rd without hardly trying with it on (totally stock.) Also, I tried to do donuts once on an ice covered lot with it on and could barely break the rear end loose, and Ispun around about 3 times instantaneouslyafter hitting the button to turn it off.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:49 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrSandman

I'm not trying to be an *** here... but seriously.. people need to learn how to drive. You don't by a rear wheel drive car with a live axle and not know how to handle it... TCS or not... and if you don't know to turn the TCS off at the track.. you need some more practice.. because the track is no place for TCS..

Again.. not trying to push buttons.. but seriously. You GT guys have a 300HP car and sound like biatches sometimes. 15 seconds in a GT? I would love to race you with my little 6er. It would be a big ego booster for me.
+1. I never had any TCS crap on my '65, '68 Chevelles and '67 Camaro or my '69 Firebird. We were
always getting sideways, hella fun!! When the tires start spinnin' it's time to man up.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:11 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

I'm not trying to be an *** here... but seriously.. people need to learn how to drive. You don't by a rear wheel drive car with a live axle and not know how to handle it... TCS or not... and if you don't know to turn the TCS off at the track.. you need some more practice.. because the track is no place for TCS..

Again.. not trying to push buttons.. but seriously. You GT guys have a 300HP car and sound like biatches sometimes. 15 seconds in a GT? I would love to race you with my little 6er. It would be a big ego booster for me.
Easy, Sandman, dude forgot/didn't know to turn it off. For all you know, he might be used to racing '60s big blocks and it just never occured to him he would have to disable it.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:10 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Unfortunately, spanking your car wouldn't be much of an ego boost for me.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:42 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Yup, between the 2nd and 3rd run I forgot to turn off TCS. It was just so weird having the car go all over the place with TCS on.
Sure, I enjoy the little sidesteps. But this time I came home from my retail job,my body and mind where not at full capacity,and thushad no intention to go drifting. I fishtailed,saved it, and continued down the road.But it does lead me to believe the TCS really needs to be a little more agressive, because this was insane. If I want to drift like that, I'll turn it off thank you.

But since that wont happen, and I nowknow what's the deal,I adapted my driving style to that. Keep focussed, and don't mash it when you just drove trough a puddle... Every time I drive back from work I am in granny mode... I'll save the"hot" stuff for when I have energy left to fucus harder.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:50 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

Simple
going around turns with it on = spinning tires,
going straight with it on = not spinning tires.
Its the way its worked with me anyways rain or not.
if your tires break loose going around a turn just cutting fuel isnt going to stop your car from going sideways. It will help...
Old 07-22-2007, 11:57 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

If you really want to see if it's working just jack up the back of the car and try to accelerate. Your tires will start to spin then you hear the brakes grab and your revs will start to drop.
i don't think it works like that; i think it just cuts throttle.

the TCS in this car is so archaic. if spin is detected, it cuts power completely until spin stops, lurch, then when spin stops, applies full power again then cuts it back.

its not predictable, and doesn't help in the safety sense. its worthless IMO.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:24 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

I am so confused by this post.

Traction control prevents wheel spin, what the hell are you doing with it ON while racing?

Obviously you can spin the tires with traction control on, it doesnt completely lock the wheels, it just "helps".

Im still yet to see the point of this post........................
Pardon me if this sounds dumb, but I really and truly don't understand why you'd want to spin your tires on the drag strip when you're making a run...I mean, isn't the whole point of running to keep the tires having traction so that you make the fastest pass possible? I don't understand how spinning the tires down the track makes the car go faster, unless there's something more to the TCS system that I haven't a clue about...

Can someone explain to me how the traction control prevents loss of traction?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:53 AM
Phraoz007
1st Gear Member

well if you are a moron and just burn your tires when your starting out you might need a "parent" like TCS to hold back for you so you can get some traction. Try learning to drive stick.... I know, weird right? I roll with my TCS on cruising around, otherwise i'd just fry them all the time.... It helps to know that it slows me down a LITTLE BIT when im feeling reckless.. But when I'm racing or burning out, GOTTTTTA take it off............sexually. LOLOL
Old 07-23-2007, 09:18 AM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

actual, anyone can correct me if i'm wrong, but i've read that a little tire spin at the very start is not bad.

you want to rev your engine to get it higher in the power band and then release (or drop) your clutch. you might geta little tire spin but as long as you don't lose total traction andJUST spin when your tires when theyfinally hookup you'll shoot off faster then w/no spin at all.

having said that, you should rely on your right foot to regulate the amount of tire spin and not TCS.

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

Pardon me if this sounds dumb, but I really and truly don't understand why you'd want to spin your tires on the drag strip when you're making a run...I mean, isn't the whole point of running to keep the tires having traction so that you make the fastest pass possible? I don't understand how spinning the tires down the track makes the car go faster, unless there's something more to the TCS system that I haven't a clue about...

Can someone explain to me how the traction control prevents loss of traction?