Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

False Advertising

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:08 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: False Advertising

man, you know a thread is dumb when 47magic and I are both fighting on the same side!
p.s. should the people who bought 69 COPO Camaros, and the ls1 f-bodies sue because Chevy sandbagged the hp numbers? You know, they weren't expecting THAT much power and now they're ruined for any other car, etc? jeez...
sorry...I'm just edgy today cause my gear install got put off till tomorrow...but I thought everyone on this forum knew that bhp was advertised in commercials, owner's manuals and sales brochures, and rwhp was that number -minus approx 15%...
Old 07-22-2007, 01:14 PM
briboiblu07
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZZmustang

MTAS
That formula is from the 70s, and many improvements have come along which decrease the hp needed to power a trans or a rear end.

rmays06
So you think it's ok for a seller to say they have something and not really have it?
A dozen eggs in a carton should be 12 not 11. And just because they say 12 on the carton , sometimes you have to open it and see 12.
Yes I believe if Ford says there is 300 flywheel horse power then there should be some documentation that says this and verification for what they say. The US government office of Weights and measures should buy a car from the lot and pull the motor and put it on a dyno. If it's 300 hp, tell the world, if it's 280 hp tell the world and make ford fix them all. If Ford puts 300 hp in there engines then that’s great , but if its less, then they should be exact or use the word "about" in front of 300. I don't think that is to much to ask, to get what they say is there and what you pay for.

Ford does have a 300hp engine! They don't advertise 300bhp. So guess what, you are getting what you pay for. Stock Mustangs usually dyno between 260 and 265bhp. So when you factor in the drivetrain losses, you have a 300hp engine! I believe they did fix a problem when they uped the HP in the 4.6 in one of the SN95 model years, when they found out the 260hp they were advertising was incorrect and they did fix it in all the cars that were affected.

Let me guess...you'd like McDonalds to measure the temperature on each pot of coffee it makes and have the real temperature posted on every cup of coffee they sell? That way someone won't turn around and say, "Well it says Caution Hot, but it doesn't say how hot. Since I wasn't aware of the exact temperature of the coffee, I suffered 2nd degree burns on my tongue and throat when I took a big gulp! So, I think I will see if I can sue them."

Someone is reaching to try and make a quick buck!
Old 07-22-2007, 01:17 PM
47Magic
1st Gear Member

Finally! What took you so long... I knew it was just a matter of time before the forum was enlightened by Richie's words of wisdom.

Yeah, silly thread, but ZZmustang saved face (slightly) by provding an interesting article.

All right, back to the garage to pull out n' tint the turn signals...
Old 07-22-2007, 01:23 PM
pirrimarin

THERE IS NOT ONE CAR in the marketplace that will dyno the exact HP amount claimed by the manufacturer. Those are approximate values from test done on a bench dyno (also known as a brake dyno)... there will always be a loss of power through the drivetrain.

You are an idiot and we don't need people like you coming up with bogus lawsuits to make a quick buck or compensate for your insecurities and shortcomings by suing Ford.

Welcome to America buddy, just about EVERYTHING that's advertised nowadays is manipulated that way.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:33 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: briboiblu07

MTAS
That formula is from the 70s, and many improvements have come along which decrease the hp needed to power a trans or a rear end.

rmays06
So you think it's ok for a seller to say they have something and not really have it?
A dozen eggs in a carton should be 12 not 11. And just because they say 12 on the carton , sometimes you have to open it and see 12.
Yes I believe if Ford says there is 300 flywheel horse power then there should be some documentation that says this and verification for what they say. The US government office of Weights and measures should buy a car from the lot and pull the motor and put it on a dyno. If it's 300 hp, tell the world, if it's 280 hp tell the world and make ford fix them all. If Ford puts 300 hp in there engines then that’s great , but if its less, then they should be exact or use the word "about" in front of 300. I don't think that is to much to ask, to get what they say is there and what you pay for.

Ford does have a 300hp engine! They don't advertise 300bhp. So guess what, you are getting what you pay for. Stock Mustangs usually dyno between 260 and 265bhp. So when you factor in the drivetrain losses, you have a 300hp engine! I believe they did fix a problem when they uped the HP in the 4.6 in one of the SN95 model years, when they found out the 260hp they were advertising was incorrect and they did fix it in all the cars that were affected.

Let me guess...you'd like McDonalds to measure the temperature on each pot of coffee it makes and have the real temperature posted on every cup of coffee they sell? That way someone won't turn around and say, "Well it says Caution Hot, but it doesn't say how hot. Since I wasn't aware of the exact temperature of the coffee, I suffered 2nd degree burns on my tongue and throat when I took a big gulp! So, I think I will see if I can sue them."

1. yes ford did that with the early (99 I think)new edge cobras, they recalled them all and hurled a bunch of performance parts and maybe a reflash to bring them up to advertised hp.

2. bhp = crank hp, not rwhp...
Old 07-22-2007, 01:36 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Agree
Old 07-22-2007, 01:50 PM
briboiblu07
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s197richie

ORIGINAL: briboiblu07

MTAS

rmays06

1. yes ford did that with the early (99 I think)new edge cobras, they recalled them all and hurled a bunch of performance parts and maybe a reflash to bring them up to advertised hp.

2. bhp = crank hp, not rwhp...
Your right...sorry, mixed those up.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Local Yokel
2nd Gear Member

So would you sue them if your car made OVER 300hp?
Old 07-22-2007, 02:11 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

Suing ford
06GT4RAD Dick
That 3 rd grade reading comprehension class was a waste, wasn't it. If you think this thread is a freaking joke , they why are you contributing to it? I didn't say anything about filling our court system with more frivolous lawsuits , I said a Class action lawsuit, that would be ONE (1)

briboiblu07
So you say ford has a 300 hp engine, and ford says it, but wear is the proof. You guys just go blindly off into whatever land it is you go, Da, Da, ta Da, Never stopping to think, Hay, If they say it's 300 maybe someone should check, if it is, yea, if it's not then don't say it is, or maybe that concept , of getting what you pay for means little.

pirrimarin
Now up until YOU started calling names this has just been a difference of opinion. You are an idiot and FU.
"Welcome to America buddy, just about EVERYTHING that's advertised nowadays is manipulated that way. "
what a stupid statement. you just made my argument and your to dumb to even know it.

s197richie
What you stated was my point . and Ford already has done it in the past. Like I said 2 or 3 times now, If there hp claim is correct, then tell the world, and if it's not also tell the world and then fix it, just like they did the old cobras.

And to all.
I have no desire to make any money whatsoever , I wouldn't take it if offered,
The point of the whole thing was holding ford accountable for it's hp claims by an independent agency. if they are true, then what’s the harm in confirming?

Old 07-22-2007, 02:15 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

rogan01

Do you realize you agreed with me?
Think about that, before you do it again.

Just kidding,

Quick Reply: False Advertising