Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque limiter/s and longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Default Torque limiter/s and longtubes

Does anyone have the torque limiters Riven02 mentions in this https://mustangforums.com/m_1832846/mpage_1/key_/tm.htmthread along with JBA (or other brand) long tubes? After adding Steeda HD motor mounts and seeing how much of a difference it made with vibration and such, I'm seriously considering adding theseto really lock everything down tight.

From the pics, it doesn't look like there would be enough clearance. Since I already have the new engine mounts, would it be worth it toadd the torque limiters? I've heard they pretty much do the same thing...
Old 08-03-2007, 05:56 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Torque limiter/s and longtubes

I don't think you need the torque limiters if you have motor mounts. The torque limiters don't limit the engine movement nearly as much as the motor mounts. I didn't like the motor mounts, had them on for 1 day and now i'm going to sell them and put my torque limiters back on. I must say they definately keep the engine from moving and seemed to put more power to the wheels, but the vibration from the exhaust during start up and reving was really annoying to me.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Ya don't say. I don't know what brand you had but Igotthe Steeda HD's installed using the red (softer durometer) poly bushings and have experienced MUCH less vibration than with the stock mounts. I love these things. They also had a harder durometer (black) bushing. I'm glad I didn't use those...
Old 08-03-2007, 06:39 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Mine are the black ones and according to prothane they are no different. I'm not sure if the steeda ones are made by prothane or not. Did you have more vibration with the stock mounts before the longtubes? I can't see how that's possible unless you had a bad mount to begin with.

ORIGINAL: Rubrignitz

Ya don't say. I don't know what brand you had but Igotthe Steeda HD's installed using the red (softer durometer) poly bushings and have experienced MUCH less vibration than with the stock mounts. I love these things. They also had a harder durometer (black) bushing. I'm glad I didn't use those...
Old 08-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

That's hard to say because I had the mounts installed after the longtubes. The longtubes and aluminum driveshaft were installed together andmay have beensome cause of the vibration. I think there were also some clearance issues that the new mounts took care of. I tell you what though, it SEEMS like the car is running smoother than it ever has. I noticed a huge difference driving it home from the shop. No more bucking and shifting. Granted, I've only had the car for 2 months nowand ~2k miles on it so I'm still getting used to the way everything feels.