Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else tried the JLT tune with a C&L intake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:29 PM
JohnnyAce

Default Anyone else tried the JLT tune with a C&L intake?

I have a C&L street intake with a diablosport tuner. I originally tried the C&L canned tune but was less than impressed really with the way the car ran. I then had b a m a send me a tune. This tune felt like it pulled harder above 3K, but unfortunatley, below 3K was terrible. I couldn't pull a hill in 5th and even passing a car on the interstate almost required a drop to 4th. I told Doug about it and he sent a new tune, but this one still had nothing below 3K. The canned C&L tune pulled better off the bottom. Plus the gas mileage was pretty bad. This frustrated me because everyone has nothing but praise for Doug's tunes. We are at 5,000ft. altitude, and the car ran better in Phoenix, but I don't think the altitude should have that much affect on the tune, other than the obvious loss of HP, from less air.

So...... I figured most of the intakes are the same, I will try a different tune to see what happens. I loaded up the canned JLT tune and HOLY COW!!! The car will now pull from as low as 1K in 3rd gear where before it wouldn't pull it would just make noise. I got my MPG back, and am getting very good MPG. When I am in 5th gear on the highway, I can pull pretty severe hills without having to downshift, and it will even accelerate if I floor it (where before my speed would drop like a rock).

This combination has made my car come alive. The throttle response is great with no deadzones and the pedal works progressively as it should. With Doug's tune, I would floor it, then back off until I hit a sweet spot, which was actually near the top of the pedal travel. The car would pull better if I only pushed the pedal maybe 1/4 of the way instead of flooring it. Maybe I got a bad tune from Doug or something and I'm not badmouthing him. I'm just putting this out there to see if it is just my car thats stupid.

Anyway, I think the JLT tune may have leaned out the car a LITTLE, because the MPG has come back up to around stock levels where before I was lucky to get close to 20mpg on the highway. I hear no knocking or pinging and the car runs the way I feel it should. Just throwing this out there. Now that I think about it, I think the car even smelled rich with the other tunes in (cervini side exhaust).

YMMV

John
Old 08-20-2007, 01:23 PM
forstfed

Default RE: Anyone else tried the JLT tune with a C&L intake?

Where ya located John? I'm in Prescott and I have the same issue, dead below approx 2500, then it zooms after that. I have the DeMolet TI cai. Tried that canned tune that came with it, and brenspeed 91 octane tune. Both have the same weak under 2500rpm performance.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:47 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

awesome, glad to hear you now have a tune
that your happy with.
it seems there are slight differences in the various
vendor's tunes and finding the perfect match is
sometimes a challenge.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:11 PM
JohnnyAce

Hey Ed,
I'm in Winslow. Im not familiar with that intake, but if it is similar to the JLT or C&L, give the JLT tune a try. Just set JLT to OEM setting and choose it. I have had no downsides whatsoever. No pinging, nothing. I wouldn't think it could be that bad for the car either, due to most of the intakes being somewhat similar. It definitely wakes it up a TON under 3K. Let me know if it works for you too.

John
Old 08-20-2007, 07:19 PM
underdog
1st Gear Member

Where did you get the JLT tune and what octane?
Old 08-20-2007, 07:26 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JohnnyAce

Hey Ed,
I'm in Winslow. Im not familiar with that intake, but if it is similar to the JLT or C&L, give the JLT tune a try. Just set JLT to OEM setting and choose it. I have had no downsides whatsoever. No pinging, nothing. I wouldn't think it could be that bad for the car either, due to most of the intakes being somewhat similar. It definitely wakes it up a TON under 3K. Let me know if it works for you too.

John
May be running into higher altitude problems in that part of Arizona? Have your tuner bring the A/F ratio up a bit. If that doesn't work, just go to the corner and wait for a girl in a fladbed Ford to slow down to take a look at you...

Sorry... couldn't help myself...
Old 08-21-2007, 10:51 AM
JohnnyAce

ORIGINAL: underdog

Where did you get the JLT tune and what octane?
The tune is in the diablosport tuner. You select JLT as your OEM setting then it comes up. Only 1 tune under that menu and I'm pretty sure its 91 octane.

Original:kentchicken

If that doesn't work, just go to the corner and wait for a girl in a fladbed Ford to slow down to take a look at you...
hehe, good one. Matter of fact that girl was checking me out yesterday!!! Glad the wifey wasn't with me