Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice, new BBK CAI (uninstalled) w/ SCT tuner

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:32 PM
sarcomere

Default Need advice, new BBK CAI (uninstalled) w/ SCT tuner

Hello everyone. I just bought a BBK CAI for my 2007 GT. The"canned" SCT tune is installed already for a stock GT.CAI is not installed yet because I would like your input before I go ahead. I am not too well versed with the tuner and am afraid I'll screw it up...

Do I install the CAI then connect the tuner and follow the prompts? Don't know if its going to ask for CAI or CAI specifics for that matter....

Or set the car to default and use the CAI as is with no tune....

Or is there a specific tune for SCT for a BBK CAI?

Thanks, I did read the instructions but there is great advice from the gurus out there!

Thanks!

In Melbourne. Florida
Old 08-21-2007, 07:09 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need advice, new BBK CAI (uninstalled) w/ SCT tuner

I'm guessing you have an SCT Strategy Flash? It comes with tune for a lot of cold air intakes, mine has tunes for Stock, JLT, C&L, Steeda and PHP. The BBK isn't listed because it's a no tune model, just like the K&N.

If you haven't used your BBK intake, then I'd return it to the company and purchase a C&L, Steeda, or JLT. You'll get better performance and you won't be running lean! The difference is so minimal between all of the tuned intakes that I'd just pick the one that I like the best. C&L seems popular. I have a Steeda and like it.

You can check which ones your SCT units supports by using the instructions below. Be sure you're certain the intake your pick is there prior to ordering.

If you decided to use the BBK, then, you don't have to do anything but install it and drive. Because the BBK is a "no tune" inake you'll simply be using the same tune as you did for the stock airbox.

If you have the SCT Strategy Flash, then you do the following:

1) Plug-in tuner
2) select modify tune
3) scroll down through the menu, you'll see drop down menu for intakes.
3) Press select to enter the menu. Scroll through the pick list of intakes, (BBK shouldn't be there). Select the intake you have, which is STOCK by default and should remain so if using the BBK, K&N or factory airbox.
4) Make sure all the other settings are as you want them.
5) Press select and the tune will load.
6) Unplug the unit when it tells you.

To find out which intakes your unit supports simply do the above and scroll through the pick list. Just make sure you leave in on STOCK if you're still using the factory airbox.

It doesn't matter if you install the tune first or the intake first. Just avoid turning it over until you've finished both.

Don't forget to double check your installation to make sure it's sealed properly. It's very, very, easy, but it alwasy pays to check your work. Some owners have experienced knocking when they improperly installed cold air inakes that require a tune.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:27 PM
sarcomere

Wow! Thanks for the fast and very thorough response! These forums rock! I'll do like you said! Yes, its an SCT Flash. Guess I'll keep it for the supercharger hopefully for XMas.

Got the BBK not for the best of reasons. It (BBK CAI) was there, it was the "normal" price, been driving in the Florida heat for hours (no AC running to save gas) looking for a Ford specialty shop, and they were knowledgeable and courteous.

Bought it at Powered By Ford in Orlando, Florida.

After talking with the staff I think I found a place that will do anything I want for the car in the future.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:55 PM
mechanicterry
1st Gear Member

I don't recommend running the BBK with out a tune because it does cause your car to run lean. I did it for a while on my 2007 GT and I am starting to have problems with it. Not sure if it caused it but I would not run it with out a tune. The guys at Brenspeed can custom tune it for the BBK to get air/fuel ratios back right.They can build a tune for the SCT and email it to you and you download it to the programmer and then into the car. Pretty easy. I'm sure some ofthe other tuners will do the same thing.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:35 AM
sarcomere

Thanks for the advice! Going to email Brenspeed, saw on their website what you're talking about. Guess its better to be safe than walking... Now going to research d/ling tune to tuner from email file! You guys are great, thanks!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Ultrashock
2nd Gear Member

Yeah bro dont run it with out a CUSTOM tune. I was dumb enough to follow the "no tune required" bs. I was running lean and eventually LOST a lot of power. I emailed Brent and he said to wait for a tune because your A/F gets way off. I switched back to the stock air box and problem solved until tune time. I also heard that a tune is usually required with the diameter of the tubing changes. Has anyone else heard this or is the guy i heard it from just making excuses for his untuned CAI?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:51 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Why not just sell it and purchase an intake that he already has a tune for? I would think performance would be better on a "tune required" intake than a "no tune" intake with a mail order tune.