Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ETHONAL BAD

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: ETHONAL BAD

The local companies simply put additives in the gas after it has been placed in the tanker truck that delivers to the stations. The Discovery Channel or History Channel has a story on gasoline. I think it was one of the Modern Marvels shows.
yup, but those additives can be the difference in a clean motor and a dirty motor. i used to fill up @ the local citgo and when i broke down my 302 it had a nice layer of crap on the intake valves and in the ports. when i put it back together i filled up at chevron every time (techron FTW) and when the crank snapped in 10 pieces and i tore it down the intake ruunners and valve was virtually spotless.

so yeah, cheap *** gas (walmart) FTL. plus, locally i have noticed if i get gas from the shell's around here on occasion or the wife fills up (she'll go anywhere [:@]) the car will "ping" more
Old 08-28-2007, 10:01 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

In the mid-Atlantic states, our gas is blended with 10% Ethanol & 90% gas. It's done strictly to lower emissions, which is a good thing. The negative is that E-blended gas provides less mpg, and by my calculations the loss is greater than 10%. So you end up buying more of it to go the same distance.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:21 AM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

They actually owtlawed MTBE......methyl tributyl ether. Cancer causing was the cop-out. The real problem with it was that 1-2 ppb's in water could be smelled very easily. Blame the generally lax controls / inspections on underground gas tanks. Not that I'd want to drink MTBE, but it is far superior to iso-octane (which is the replacement) as a gasoline additive.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:16 AM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

I agree with the pipeline post above. Someone did a nice article about it last month. All the gas that comes into a city (Charlotte here) comes via a pipeline and brands add additives. "Top tier" gasolines (Shell, Chevron) add more additives to get this rating. BP is the brand that Ford recommends, and is not a top tier gas. The study that was done in comparision of the brands showed no less wear or valve build-up on lower tier brands.
OK, I found the article:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...gas-usat_n.htm
Old 08-28-2007, 11:34 AM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

E85 is 85% ethanol - 15% gasolineand it is very corrosive. Cars that are meant to run on E85 have either plastic or stainless steel tanks , gas lines and any thing else that comes in contact withethanol because of its corrosive nature.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:14 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

E85 is a blend of fuel, not the name of straight ethanol. Personally, I would give anything to be able to run it in my stang... I can already hear people going "why the heck would ya say that?". Simple... It's 115 octaine, and costs less than $3.00 a gallon. Anyone here checked the price of Cam2 110 or 115 octaine lately?

Also, for it's corrosive nature, in older vehicles, it will eat seals and gasketsfaster than twinkies get eaten at a Jenny Craig convention unless those seals have been replaced in the last few years. It's also not very carberator friendly due to poor atomization at lower fuel pressures. Most newer vehicles that aren't designed for E85(and especially ones that were manufactured after the MTBE ban) can handle a tank here and there with no major issues BUT YOU WILL KILL THE MOTOR IF YOU RUN ITCONSTANTLY. Keep in mind, that your fueling while running it will be WAY off. E85 does not burn like gasoline, and your AFR's need to be very very different.

My next project that is Chevy powered is going to be one of those LSx based 5.3 liter engines that are flex fuel capable, running about 25 or 30 pounds of boost andfeed it nothing but E85, and I'm going to stuff it into something that is in the Sub 3000 pound range.
[sm=gears.gif]
Old 08-28-2007, 03:50 PM
balli

Heheh. Amen to that.

Walmart is bad! I boycott that company.

ORIGINAL: Local Yokel

I would say the problem is filling up at Walmart ...
Old 08-28-2007, 03:59 PM
DocVenture
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't even pull into a Wal Mart parking lot in my car. Much less put their gas in it.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:10 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

a couple quotes worth reading...... i prefer chevron/texaco (same additives) but seems shells stuff is keeping clean too.

Shell, a Top Tier brand, bases its claims on a test by Southwest Research Institute. The laboratory ran an engine for 5,000 hours, using Shell fuel on half the cylinders, an unnamed fuel in the other half. The Shell cylinders didn't have deposits, and the others did, the lab report says.

Shell has several demonstration cars that work the same way. In 16 tests of 5,000 miles each using different brands of gasoline, the test cars' intake valves had just one-eighth the residue with the Shell brand as with other, unidentified brands, according to data that Shell provided to USA TODAY.
The strength of additive packages varies, but meeting Top Tier standards can require 2½ to five times as much additive as the EPA requires, according to Buczynsky and Shell's Mueller-Belau, whose company is a Top Tier participant. Even so, it adds less than a penny to the cost of a gallon, Buczynsky says.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:34 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

E85 ethanol fuelis 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline, hence the term E85. It is "Flex Fuel" and it is only for vehicles that are flex fuel rated. And, yes it can damage a non-flex fuel vehicle. It will cause our cars to run extremely lean. This is not good at all. Mostpump gas is "oxygenated" to reduce emmisions.That means they have added a very small percentage of Ethanol to the gasoline.This is not the same as "E85". So, never, everput E85 in your tank unless your car is "Flex Fuel Rated".
ORIGINAL: Sleeper05

e85 ethanol is not dangerous to your motor. It will only be mixed up to about 15% by volume. The simple fact that it is potentially in there will NOT affect the octane rating, because the mixture will still have a minimal rating of 87.

Quick Reply: ETHONAL BAD