Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local death in Mustang GT.....Please read

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:03 AM
GT500OC
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Local death in Mustang GT.....Please read

Excellent post, I agree with your choices and I like the research that you did before ordering your parts. I did the same thing and even though I don't agree with all of your choices on what you selected, you did a great job explaining your reasoning. If you are planning on going fast, you should have the suspension (and car) that will support the speed you are planning on going.

GT500OC
Old 09-09-2007, 01:05 AM
bazguitarman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acrokat
You missed his point entirely. The fact is there is NO SITUATION where driving at high speed is safe on a public road. You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Few of us (myself NOT included) know how to handle any car at high speeds and regardless if you do or not you CANNOT account for the reactions of other drivers or pedestrians. The best you can ever do is guess and hope you arent wrong.

Want to drive fast? Do it at the ****ing track. NOT ON THE PUBLIC ROADS!

No, I got his point. But where I come from, making a point like that will get your *** kicked big time.

I`ve posted twice now that I am not condoning driving fast on the street. But as I said above, I`m not going to come onto a Mustang performance forum and tell people not to drive their super charged Mustangs over the speed limit. Who in the crap is going to listen to that?

The whole point of making the post was to let Mustang owners know about the danger of driving beyond what their car can do. Go look around the forum and see how many fast car newbs want to put a SC on their GT and never think about the suspension or brakes. They don`t know a lower control arm from a muffler bearing. A lot of these young kids are going to get killed in these cars. Not everyone grew up around muscle cars or has even riden in a fast car before. They just have the money to buy one and think it`s cool to drive fast. They see it on TV and think they can do it.

We have an event coming up in Knoxville. Called the Dragon Run. Named after an 11 mile stretch of road that has 318 curves and runs through the Smokey Mountains. This is a very well known run that brings cars in from far away. We are talking about semi-pro illegal street racing. A lot of production companies film this run for video releases. Guess how many kids in their Mustang GT are going to want to drive this stretch after seeing some of what goes on up there.

If I`m going to post up with a suggestion for improving handling to handle these cars, hopefully it will get through to some people. And they will realize that power isn`t the only thing.

Eric
Old 09-09-2007, 02:13 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

Unfortunately, no matter how good your suspension is, too much speed/power + inexperienced driver = bad stuff.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:26 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

These cars ARE made for cornering if you properly set them up. I wouldn't be saying it if I didn't leave a lowered 350z (not sure what kinda suspension he was running but too low to be stock)with 245's all over in dust along with an 03-04 911 carrera that I kept up with till after my brakes faded on me and that's just a few days ago. I know I'll get a lot of "they were sh!tty drivers" bull**** thrown at me, but after a few years of racing every single car that's close to equal to mine in any road and weather conditions I can definitely tell a difference between a crappy and a good driver.
God knows what made him run off the cliff. One time it almost happened to me in my 3000GT when some moron going in the opposite direction lost control over his car and got into my lane when taking a turn so I had to get to the right and since part of my car was off the road and i was taking a turn it started sliding about 10 feet away from a cliff, but I gained control back quickly. Maybe that's what happened to the guy too except under different circumstaces. Ish happens. Only thing is the faster you go, the more chances of it happening you got and there's no way around it. Slow down.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:49 AM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Sounds to me like the kid was running royal purple in his tranny
That was sick! Funny as hell...but sick! ROFL! Keep them coming.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:03 AM
FC

I appreciate your post. I graduated in the hotrod era, and I remember the kids who died driving stupid. I should say kids, as well as a young, popular doc who raced downtown and met a phone pole.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:21 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

R.I.P.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:25 AM
MantaDreams
3rd Gear Member

a post to drive home the importance of safe driving speeds is fine, but I didn't need the hard sell that I need to upgrade my suspension so I can survive faster driving on public streets. May not have said it that way, but implied.

A person has to get used to driving a vehicle over time, especially when wanting to push the envelope. The driver will need to get used to the car all over again when making significant changes to its performance.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:42 PM
bazguitarman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MantaDreams

a post to drive home the importance of safe driving speeds is fine, but I didn't need the hard sell that I need to upgrade my suspension so I can survive faster driving on public streets. May not have said it that way, but implied.

A person has to get used to driving a vehicle over time, especially when wanting to push the envelope. The driver will need to get used to the car all over again when making significant changes to its performance.

You are right man. We all are walking a fine line when driving too fast on the streets. Even with an improved suspension that I suggested. The fact is, it`s a bad idea any way you look at it. You have to become one with your car at each step of performance improvements.

The post was for the younger or more inexperienced drivers who think that an easy FI bolt on is all you have to do to have a fast car. When you add 200 horses to a car, it effects every other performance aspect. My god, I would never think about adding that much power before improving my suspension and brakes. That`s exactly opposite of what any pro or serious performance driver would do.

And yeah, I guess it was a hard sell for improveing your suspension. I meant it to be that way. The inexperienced drivers need that. Every time one pops up and says "I just got a GT and want to have 500 rwhp". We all need to respond with info to make their car safer as well as faster. Safety should be #1, but it never gets spoken about.

It doesn`t hurt to tell some kid to forget about the SC until they upgrade their brakes or suspension. That`s being responsible. If they don`t want to listen, then that`s their problem. Considering the number of posters on this forum that are 30 years old or older. I`m suprised I don`t see more responces advising on suspension and brake upgrades. I know I`m not the only older guy who personally know someone who has died in a fast car with crappy brakes or a marshmellow suspension.

Eric
Old 09-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bazguitarman

ORIGINAL: acrokat
You missed his point entirely. The fact is there is NO SITUATION where driving at high speed is safe on a public road. You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Few of us (myself NOT included) know how to handle any car at high speeds and regardless if you do or not you CANNOT account for the reactions of other drivers or pedestrians. The best you can ever do is guess and hope you arent wrong.

Want to drive fast? Do it at the ****ing track. NOT ON THE PUBLIC ROADS!

No, I got his point. But where I come from, making a point like that will get your *** kicked big time.

Eric
Eric, I get your point and you get mine. I don't need anybody encouraging Mustang drivers or any other drivers to drive crazy on the same roads that I drive with this "just bolt on a part!" stuff. And be careful, or you might just end up sounding like an E-thug.

Quick Reply: Local death in Mustang GT.....Please read