Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 GT Order

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2005 GT Order

did anyone read this in other thread by graphicguy ??

I had the opportunity to speak with a Ford rep from their Mustang assembly plant. I met her at the Cincinnati International Auto Show last night. She came down from MI to get more reactions from people regarding the '05 Mustangs. She said her exact job was in customer relations. Very nice lady who spent about 30 minutes answering my questions (now I wish I could just rember the name she had on her badge). You can choose to believe what you will, but she was very knowledgeable.

The first question I asked her was about order delays. She said that there is no reason on the factory end that an order should take longer than 6-8 weeks, barring any carrier or rail transport issues (there were none that she was aware of). She went on to say that any deviation from that would have been a dealer issue in the way that they prioritized their orders. She did say that Ford had planned for a positive reaction to the Mustang and that parts and supply vendors were given a range of production numbers that included a "high end" number based on early, positive customer reactions from the auto shows. While she said that orders were on the "high side" of what Ford expected, the parts vendors and the plant itself had the capacity and ability to produce "everything in the pipeline". She said Ford had started the plant slowly in order to get the early cars "built right". But, the plant is running "full bore" currently with no "hitches" in production. She stressed, there are no "HOLDS" on any cars for any reason.

I quizzed her on why some people who had ordered cars were waiting 4,5,6 months for production. Again, she said that was probably a dealer issue. I posed the question about whether there could be a corelation between ordered cars affecting allotments. She said there was absolutely no reason for an ordered car to take over 6-8 weeks.....maybe 9-10 weeks if weather affected the truck transports. She said by the looks of things, Ford would make 150,000 '05 Mustangs. She said the plant can and would make more if the orders justify it.

I asked her about the "My Color" lawsuit. She was aware of it and said Ford's stance is that it's frivolous. She went on to say that they are producing Mustangs with "My Color" as fast as the orders come in. There is no holding "lot" where Mustangs sit idle awaiting any hearing. She went on to say that Ford (as well as other manufacturers) are used to this type of lawsuit from people who "think" they've got some claim to technology. She went on to say they have people suing for alleged infringements on every model Ford makes. They have a dept that does nothing but address these claims. Then she got real serious. She said Ford researches all patents thouroughly and that they go through the exercise of researching patents that their suppliers use, too. She went on to say that these claims result in higher prices for the consumer since the cost of any litigation is built into every car. Then, something that rang true to me, she said "we have a lot of experience with this after coming off the Bridgestone tire debacle". I believe her.

I asked her about the Shaker problems. She said they are aware of some owners having problems with them. She said only a few replaced units have come back to them so far and admitted they don't know whether it's a laser tracking issue or a firmware issue. Ford has instructed the dealers to replace the units currently. But, she said once Ford finds out the cause, there would be some sort of TSB issued if warranted, but not to worry "Ford will make certain Shaker customers would have an agreeable fix, either with a replacement unit or something that can be done on the dealer level".

Asked her about shortages of the red interior. She flatly said "NO...any official Ford option the customer wants, we can accomodate".

Wish I could have talked to her more, but the show was getting busy and I had already dominated enough of her time. Believe what you will, but personally, I believed everything she said.

< Message edited by graphicguy -- 2/18/2005 10:22:33 AM >

Old 02-18-2005, 09:40 PM
mocha98

2005 GT, Screaming Yellow, Auto, IUP, Anti Theft
Old 02-18-2005, 11:50 PM
Mag108

Higgie, thanks for the info, I am going to call my dealer and find out what is going on and make sure they are not screwing around with me and if so then I am going to have to go to another dealer.

-Marcos[8D]
Old 02-19-2005, 07:46 PM
fieldofdreams

I checked with my dealership where I ordered my GT with the IUP in early December. The order still hadn't been pulled. I started searching the ford website and found one exactly like I ordered, in transit, minus the IUP. I had to settle for the sport appearance package and ended up paying about 2K more.

After lenghtly discussions with the dealership where I am now going to buy the car I was told that the reason my ordered Mustang didn't get built was due to the IUP issue. I was told (take it for what it's worth) that the factory has placed a hold on all mustangs with the IUP upgrade. All the dealerships, for the most part, are frustrated with Ford. Not only because ordered Mustangs with the IUP's aren't getting built, but there's little or no information, coming to them from Ford as to when they will be able to fill their orders. As an expected result there's alot of upset "to be" mustang owners!!!!
Old 02-20-2005, 01:18 PM
graphicguy
2nd Gear Member

field....I'm the person who spoke to the factory rep.

Couple of questions and some observations.....

Who is telling you your order hasn't been pulled? Your dealer? If so, do you believe the dealer? Has the dealer had other GTs that they've sold (perhaps with higher markup than the deal on yours)?

Does your dealer have any V6s on their lot with IUP? IF so, that should tell you something.

According to the factory rep, there are no "HOLDS" on any Mustang, for any reason. Ford is building and shipping Mustangs with IUP.

Do you think your dealer was more accomodating since you agreed to pay $2K more for something that doesn't have all the options you wanted?

There are way too many Mustangs with IUP in the hands of their customers for me to believe any dealer state that IUP is on hold or that they can't get those orders through.

Just some thoughts.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:33 PM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Higgie
did anyone read this in other thread by graphicguy ??

graphicguy, I commented like above prior to the paste in so everyone would know to talk to you about you conversation. I have sense figured out the "quote".
Old 02-20-2005, 05:48 PM
fieldofdreams

graphic...

thanks for the info.....both the dealer I ordered thru and the one I eventually bouoght from gave the same story. Since they are about 1500 miles apart, and had the same take on the situation, I was kinda believing 'em. There is so many rumors out there right now about this I decided to jump on the GT that is almost at my doorstep rather than wait til God knows when.

Whatever the situation, it doesn't seem like anyone knows the real reason why the delay on the orders. If they do they are not giving it up!!!!!

The dealership where I ordered the car from is Vancouver Ford, in Washington. They are a large dealership in the Portland/Vancouver area and I'd done business with them many times before. So to answer your questions about their inventory....I really don't know what they had, or didn't have, in term of stock on the Mustangs.

The dealership where I'm buying the car is in Tucson. In talking to the sales rep. there, according to him, it's just been hit and miss on the Mustangs they get and the options they get them with.....he was telling me they have been getting no Mustangs with the IUP for a while. Just the sport appearance package.

Take Care
Old 02-20-2005, 05:56 PM
fieldofdreams

graphic.... just as a side note ...the GT I ordered with the IUP, had a auto trans, the 17" bright alum.wheels,Anti theft sys...at 26,769. The one that I'm going to be getting is exactly the same except for the IUP of course for 28,700....I know OUCH!!!!!!!

Later