Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCT XCalibrator

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 11:33 PM
cheysdaddy
1st Gear Member

Default RE: SCT XCalibrator

here'a link to a review of the Predator
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...cate/index.php
Old 03-02-2005, 11:58 PM
cheysdaddy
1st Gear Member

I'm just curious.. All the Mustang sites I've seen talk about the X-calibrator. Whats the big deal about it? i don't see mention of anything from any other companies. Just wondering what the hype is?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:20 AM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

It was the first one available on the 2005 Mustang. I just got one and installed it today. I love it. I had a diablo predator for my '04 GT and it was great. I don't really know how the predator would work with the '05 because the computer has to be reflashed for every mod and the diablo lets you adjust things but it doesn't reflash for mods. The new one might but I know the one for my '04 didn't.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:16 AM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

so if I order the steeda cold air,and the xcalibrator I just plug it in selct a programmed slot? and then i should tell them to also program a slot for when i add exhaust as well or is the exhaust already on the same slot as the air intake?
Old 03-06-2005, 03:48 AM
JSlade8581
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpikeGT

so if I order the steeda cold air,and the xcalibrator I just plug it in selct a programmed slot? and then i should tell them to also program a slot for when i add exhaust as well or is the exhaust already on the same slot as the air intake?
The first part is right. The "slots" are just little programs for your car. However, if you are going to add an exhaust and an intake, you'll need to ask about them including a tune for both an exhaust and an intake. In other words, you need a little program ("tune") that matches what your car has.

Also, you can go to dynotune shops that are SCT dealers, and they can help fine-tune the programs to make them work better (and, if you don't have the computer cable or the ability to tune yourself, going to local dealers is usually a little easier than sending the whole unit back to get a tune installed to it).
Old 03-06-2005, 10:17 AM
l33t

Because SCT worked very hard to reverse engineer the new Ford engine programming introduced in the F150's a couple of years ago.
Now that they finally understand the 'new' engine procedure language they were the first ones to the market with an acceptable tune. Thats why you don't see alot of competition for them, they are sitting on what they have learned and I can't say I blame them.

There are companies that have taken the baseline tune produced by SCT and tweaked it even further and then labeling that their custom tune. Like Steeda for instance, they have spent alot of time and money by taking advantage of the Ford Technology Transfers and using the baseline SCT performance tune to produce a custom tune that only they have the specifics of. You can order an SCT from anywhere, but the tune that is programmed is the difference. So while Mod Depot will give you the cable and a Tune, you aren't getting any of that intellectual property used by Steeda to produce what is supposed to be a 'better' baseline tune. That is why Steeda will not sell you their PC connection cable.

I just went down this road myself and am quite happy with the performance gains, it's like a different car at the light.

I just want to say that w/SCT you do indeed get all of the toggles mentioned above with the Predator. ie... Rev Limiter cap lifted, Throttle Closure Valve disabled, Much more aggressive Drive By Wire, Aggressive timing increases coupled with new air/fuel ratio, TCS off by default.

My route went like this. I ordered the SCT through Steeda. After about ten emails back and forth we decided on two tunes provided by them.
The first tune is a performance tune, 91 Octane w/stock air box, these are the standard toggles mentioned above. So that was my baseline tune nothing fancy but I could already see the difference. The second tune had the same performance toggles, with the addition of the Steeda CAI kit.

So I have the last slot still free, which I plan on using for a local dyno/tune once I get the new Borlas in, so I can really see if the 'Intellectual property' actually makes a contribution.

Someone asked why get it tuned at all, why not just take it to dyno. The dyno just measures. The tune is how you make the changes that affect the dyno results, not to mention toggling all of the 'restrictions' placed on the vehicle by the always money concious 'Board of Directors'.

I'm no expert by any means but I have been doing ALOT of reading after getting my gt and thought I would share.

edits: I R Got Good Grammmer!
Old 03-06-2005, 01:06 PM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

thanks that info helps, i too plan on ordering the Xcal and steedaCAI right from steeda and eventually i want the borla catback. thanks for the info. also l33t do you always have to put in 91? can you put in like 87,89 or even 93? or does it mess things up if you do? sorry so many questions.
spikegt
Old 03-06-2005, 01:50 PM
l33t

Once the higher octane tune is applied, the engine expects a better a/f ratio than can be achieved with a lower Octane is how I've come to understand it.
So once you cross that line, it's better to stick with it. IMO, plus I just feel good putting the 'good stuff' in it. =P

With a stock tune the opinions are certainly varied on wether it's a 'good thing' or a 'bad thing' to run higher than factory listed octane.
Folks have said it's better, folks have said it's worse. Real world experience doesn't lie, so experience it for yourself see what you think. See how your mpg changes by using different octane tanks.

If you really want to dial it in, save loot for some quality time at a local performance shop w/dyno and a reputable tuner. You can't deny your personal dyno results, as many variables come into play for each individual vehicle getting a tune.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:53 AM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

just ordered mine this morning. can't wait to get that stuff on.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:02 PM
96GTponyup
2nd Gear Member

I just installed the JBA axelback system on my 05 and have a MMR CAI. Should I have them program that in before I order it? If they do that all I have to do is plug it into my car and thats it.....right?

Quick Reply: SCT XCalibrator