Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impression of Pypes Violators

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Default Impression of Pypes Violators

Hey Guys, thought some of the newer folks looking for their first mod might be interested in my impressions of the Pypes Violator axle-back mufflers. Recently purchased a set of the polished, stainless models and installed them, laying on my back on the garage floor (man...got to get some jack stands).The quality looks to be A+: nice heavy duty stainless, sweet polish job, all the welds look clean and smooth.

The install is super easy, 4 bolts and 1 clamp per muffler. Out of the box the end of the pipe that mates with the stock mid-pipe didn't fit, had to bend it open slightly with a big set of pliers, no big deal. They are slightly smaller than stock and quite a bit lighter. Putting them on is easier than getting the stock ones off. The clamps are nice and heavy duty. Once on they don't hang perfectly, not exactly centered and the left sticks out a bit more than the right. I'm confident I can adust this and get them looking perfect.

Looks are far superior to the stock gray-galvanized units. The larger than stock tips are chromed and rolled, very nice. Since they are a little smaller than stock, they hide up under the car a bit better.

Like many of you, I listened to all the youTube and other sound clips of the various mufflers out there. I was really confused and unsure what to get. Thesound clips really don't do these systems justice...you get a sense of the tone and general sound but not really the dBs they put out. I was concerned about going too loud, living in a neighborhood and all. I originally settled on the MAC axle back but was talked out of them by the guys at Brenspeed, "MAC is one of the most agressive sounds". Went with the Violators as a compromise between the Flowmaster ("almost stock") and the MAC. Now that they are on and tested I'd say frankly I expected a bit more growl. At idle, once the car is warmed up, they are no louder than stock (which is probably a good thing). It is a different sound however, a deeper tone, very pleasing to the motorhead's ear. On the gas the sound is deeper and more authoritative than stock but still you are not going to be rattling any windows. Some folks have said there is a drone at 2-3K that is disturbing. Yea..maybe a little, but come on, this is a mustang after all, its suppose to be loud. Close the windows and I hardly notice it.

Performance improvement? Nada...I don't notice any difference, but it sure does sound like it has more HP. Don't buy them if you are after performance. Great looks, and cool sound. Louder than stock but won't make enemies of your wife or neighbors. Thats what your $ buy you.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:55 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Impression of Pypes Violators

+1 I love my Violators.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:02 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

I like mine too. Had some troubles installing them. The passenger side sticks out more than my drivers side. Not sure how I am going to fix that but I am going to work on it again later. I noticed that you dont hear them in the cabin that much after 2k rpms so I dont hear a drone at all. I have had them on my car for only a few days and I heard that they have to break in and they get a deeper sound as they do. Right now they are much louder than stock to me but after 2k rpms they go silent for some reason. Anyway I like them and they look great on the car. They give it a more aggressive look, and for under 200 dollars shipped you can go wrong.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:38 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

My violators looked nice and installed easy, and sounded great at WOT, but the drone was horrible. Indescribable. I hated driving the car.

Anyways, they're great for the price. Others cost double and they all really sound alike in the end.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:57 AM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

Avengence, to answer your post (and e-mail) question, the cabin drone falls off after 2000 rpm but this is not considered a bad thing. Volume of theViolators I haveincreases though from 2000 rpm up to redline. Drone was only an issue on the interstate with the windows closed at 1500-2000 at a certain throttle setting. Since I changed the differential gearing, the throttle positions are now different and I have no cabin drone issues. So maybe gears are a cure for the common drone! I actually like these mufflers, no neighbors complain (people talking on the street don't even look up when I drive by) but when I give it throttle it sounds like a performance car.

Sleeper2
Old 10-10-2007, 09:46 AM
06Redfire3V
5th Gear Member

I love mine-got them installed about 3 weeks ago along with their o/r X pipe and it is loud and mean! It should of been my first mod done
Old 10-10-2007, 10:54 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

My violators looked nice and installed easy, and sounded great at WOT, but the drone was horrible. Indescribable. I hated driving the car.

Anyways, they're great for the price. Others cost double and they all really sound alike in the end.
Really? What other mods did you have done? Most people say there's very little, to no drone, including myself. I had a little drone with the stock mid-pipe, but now the off-road pipe, there's none.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:09 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

Hey Guys, thought some of the newer folks looking for their first mod might be interested in my impressions of the Pypes Violator axle-back mufflers. Recently purchased a set of the polished, stainless models and installed them, laying on my back on the garage floor (man...got to get some jack stands).The quality looks to be A+: nice heavy duty stainless, sweet polish job, all the welds look clean and smooth.

The install is super easy, 4 bolts and 1 clamp per muffler. Out of the box the end of the pipe that mates with the stock mid-pipe didn't fit, had to bend it open slightly with a big set of pliers, no big deal. They are slightly smaller than stock and quite a bit lighter. Putting them on is easier than getting the stock ones off. The clamps are nice and heavy duty. Once on they don't hang perfectly, not exactly centered and the left sticks out a bit more than the right. I'm confident I can adust this and get them looking perfect.

Looks are far superior to the stock gray-galvanized units. The larger than stock tips are chromed and rolled, very nice. Since they are a little smaller than stock, they hide up under the car a bit better.

Like many of you, I listened to all the youTube and other sound clips of the various mufflers out there. I was really confused and unsure what to get. Thesound clips really don't do these systems justice...you get a sense of the tone and general sound but not really the dBs they put out. I was concerned about going too loud, living in a neighborhood and all. I originally settled on the MAC axle back but was talked out of them by the guys at Brenspeed, "MAC is one of the most agressive sounds". Went with the Violators as a compromise between the Flowmaster ("almost stock") and the MAC. Now that they are on and tested I'd say frankly I expected a bit more growl. At idle, once the car is warmed up, they are no louder than stock (which is probably a good thing). It is a different sound however, a deeper tone, very pleasing to the motorhead's ear. On the gas the sound is deeper and more authoritative than stock but still you are not going to be rattling any windows. Some folks have said there is a drone at 2-3K that is disturbing. Yea..maybe a little, but come on, this is a mustang after all, its suppose to be loud. Close the windows and I hardly notice it.

Performance improvement? Nada...I don't notice any difference, but it sure does sound like it has more HP. Don't buy them if you are after performance. Great looks, and cool sound. Louder than stock but won't make enemies of your wife or neighbors. Thats what your $ buy you.
Don't mean to be picky but the OE tips are not "stock gray-galvanized units"; they are stainless.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:43 AM
UberHax0r
2nd Gear Member

here is a video clip of my pypes violator cat-back (purchased from blue oval industries).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NSBGmRyGec

i really enjoy it, and the drone is quite minimal