Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Wheels, Help me

Old 11-28-2007, 07:10 PM
WPsharpshooter
3rd Gear Member

Default Wheels, Help me

Im looking into putting some wheels on the stang in the near future, What are some things I need to be aware of and what do I need to look for. Its an 07 so I have them damn tpms's. Im assuming I cant use the ones off my 17's and put them on the new wheels unless I bought another set of 17's. Im wanting to go with the staggered look. Is there any benifit to having 20's over 18's. I have heard that 20in tires are cheaper than the 18's. I know that the 20's are gonna weigh alot more aswell and possibly change the ride quality too. Where are some good places to buy wheels? Im wanting to run 18x10's in the rear so whats the largest tire I can run out back? and finally where did you guys get yours and if you post, post some pics of the wheels your running or thinking about getting. I am having to look online because my local wheel place sucks and can only get certain things. Side note I drive an alloy and I was thinking on chrome, the wheels will prolly be the only thing that not the same color as the body.... I know us alloy guys have a certain standard to uphold so we cant just put any ol wheel on our cars. LOL Would chrome look good on this color??? I personally think it would but I have read on the forums before that the alloy can only pull off certain wheels with out it looking trashy !!!! any help would be great
Old 11-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Wheels, Help me

ORIGINAL: WPsharpshooter

Im looking into putting some wheels on the stang in the near future, What are some things I need to be aware of and what do I need to look for. Its an 07 so I have them damn tpms's. Im assuming I cant use the ones off my 17's and put them on the new wheels unless I bought another set of 17's. Im wanting to go with the staggered look. Is there any benifit to having 20's over 18's. I have heard that 20in tires are cheaper than the 18's. I know that the 20's are gonna weigh alot more aswell and possibly change the ride quality too. Where are some good places to buy wheels? Im wanting to run 18x10's in the rear so whats the largest tire I can run out back? and finally where did you guys get yours and if you post, post some pics of the wheels your running or thinking about getting. I am having to look online because my local wheel place sucks and can only get certain things. Side note I drive an alloy and I was thinking on chrome, the wheels will prolly be the only thing that not the same color as the body.... I know us alloy guys have a certain standard to uphold so we cant just put any ol wheel on our cars. LOL Would chrome look good on this color??? I personally think it would but I have read on the forums before that the alloy can only pull off certain wheels with out it looking trashy !!!! any help would be great
I cant see any benefit with 20's over 18". Other than some like the looks. They usually cost more, weigh more, more rotational mass = less power to the ground. Ride will suffer, tires cost more.
For purchasing make sure they are for 05+ Mustangs. older ones fit, but offset is different and look a little odd on a S197, in my opinion.
Cruizin Concepts has good deals, as also American muscle. They are both site sponsors. you can pm AMEmilie from american muscle for a discount code, and mike at cruizin concepts on the forum also willing to make great deals.
If you re going for the staggard look I would recommend for the front 18x9 with a 255/45/18
And for the rear 18x10 and a 285/40/18.
Now for the choice of style/color, your on your own, lol.

My new wheels are due in tomorrow

Old 11-28-2007, 08:40 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WPsharpshooter

If 20's over 18's do it for looks. Performance, 18's should weigh less than 20's depending on which brand. 18's would be cheaper than 20's on the same wheel. There are more common 18" tire sizes and would be cheaper then less common 20's. Depending on what size tire you go with and brand the prices vary a lot. 20's do change the ride quality, but not as much as you think. Car does feel heavier, more sluggish off the line. Car has a firmer ride and can feel bumps shuddering more. Be careful if your ordering wheels online. i'd go to a reputable shop, place an order through them, make sure they know no blems. A lot of wheels get damaged while shipping or just lack of quality control. I had to go through three orders of foose wheels. They kept sending bad ones. Discount tire took care of eberything, but it took a few months just for some wheels. Called foose many times about problem, but they just didn't care. They are real bad to deal with. Bad products.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:42 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

You CAN reuse the TPM sensors from your 17's on your 18's etc. There is a small kit which is about 50 bucks to retro fit them.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:47 PM
slvrstang2007
2nd Gear Member

Check my photobucket link, running 18X10 back with 275/40 and 18X9 front with 255/45, I think 20s" look a little better but it really depends on what you're into ride quality and extra weight on the wheels or show. As for what color not really sure what would look best on alloy, although there are some amazing looking alloy stangs on this forum that I'm sure can be of more help then me. Good luck alloy is a tuff color to get right IMO.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:18 AM
CruizinConcepts
Former Sponsor

Just wanted to let you know that Cruizin Concepts is having a End Of The Month Sale. If you need wheels for your stang. Let me know. Call 888-630-0655 and ask for Mike, pm, or drop me an email at [email protected]. You want to save? The time is now!

Let me know what I can do for you.

Sale ends Friday 11/30 at 8 eastern time.

[align=left] [/align]