Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow SUCKS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 06:46 AM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Snow SUCKS!!!

it was 76 here yesterday so I dont think I have to worry about snow...lol soory to hear about you guys in the snow that must suck big time...
Old 12-04-2007, 07:15 AM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

It snowed yesterday where I live...Also it is going to snow 7 of the next 10 days. It blows. I put the Mustang away until the spring on Sunday... It was a very sad day
Old 12-04-2007, 07:39 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

Save the $300 youd spend on snow tires and buy a winter beater. All it needs is heat and wipers.

LMFAO! What would you folks do that can't drive in the snow do if you had been raised in the 1950's and 60's? Back then,we went out, started the car and drove down the road. Didn't know any better. We just did it. The Stangs of today are much better at handling traction that the cars of yesteryear. Better tires, TC systems and roads and plow equipment have bettered. Just drive the thing and be careful. And slow down.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:47 AM
steveo555
2nd Gear Member

When I drove in D1 and my speedo read 70mph is that bad for the engine/transmission? Also should I lower the tire pressure in the rear wheels?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:50 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

+1 on the sand bags and also keep your tank full, that could add up to another 120lbs. Use mason's sand, as it is course and if you do get stuck, you can sprinkle it on the ground for traction. Also, make sure your tire pressure is on the higher end, a narrower tread will give you better traction in snow. Of course, snow tires are a better and safer solution. Tire Rack offers some pretty inexpensive combos, but I understand if you have no place to store your other wheels/tires.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:59 AM
BIGMAS1979
1st Gear Member

that's why i love miami.....
Old 12-04-2007, 09:03 AM
steveo555
2nd Gear Member

Tire Rack offers some pretty inexpensive combos, but I understand if you have no place to store your other wheels/tires.
thats not really the problem, it would be driving home 3 hours to get them put on then driving back and this is exam week. Maybe during my winter break.

Also no one has said anything about my question: When I drove in D1 and my speedo reads 70mph is that bad for the engine/transmission?
Old 12-04-2007, 09:06 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

No, there's virtually no load on the drivetrain when doing that, and with the cold temps outside you're fine.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:28 AM
rehtorb
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bluestar

That's not Snow....Find the '05 Black GT in this photo from last Feb.
Up state NY?? North of Syracuse? Just taking a stab at the local. I used to live in the lake effect snow region and it looked just like that, how i miss the snow.I'm in jersey nowand people drive badly when it starts to snow and drives me nuts, as if the jug handles and elderly drivers were not bad enough! My advice after spending years driving on minimally plowed roads is:

-If you are exceeding the speed limit you are going to fast in the snow, slow down.
-Respect the driver in front of you. Even if you have 4WD you still have the same breaks as everyone else so give people room.
-If your pulling into traffic and your hesitant just don’t go because chances are you will not make it.
-Be extra careful going up hill or down hill.
-If you have to pull over, wait for a plow or sander to go ahead of you before starting.
-Don’t be in a rush to go anyplace, especially if the fire inside is delightful.
-Put some supplies in the trunk; Sand bags, road salt, small shovel, floor mats or boards. These things can save your a$$ and save you money on a tow.
- When you first start out test the conditions if nobody is around or behind you by lightly tapping the breaks to see how much is too much. Do this on a straightaway. Also practice in an empty lot, check the lot for pot holes before it snows.
- Snow tires and 200 lbs in the back would be a plus to.

Just as someone already said, people used to drive in the same conditions with worse handling cars in the past, so you can do it today. You just have to use common sense, the problem is common sense isn’t so common.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:39 AM
rehtorb
1st Gear Member

Dude, now that i think about it scratch everything i said. Just get a snowmobile to ride around campus.

Quick Reply: Snow SUCKS!!!