Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever consider buying....... used?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:24 AM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Ever consider buying....... used?

I ordered my GT new. That way, it came through just the way I wanted it.

I'd never buy used. A car with 3500 miles could have just as much wear as a vehicle with 75000 miles.

Not worth it to me.

Extra 5K = piece of mind

~Fletch~
Old 12-26-2007, 08:42 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

never buy a used sports car
There is of course,sound logic to the above and maybe I've beenlucky, but I've bought 3 vettes (last one C5Z06)and a viper gtsused. All had between 5 and 10,000 miles and had no problems with any of them. All drove and lookedlike new. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another used sports car and should have bought the mustang used.Knew I was going to mod it, but didn't know at the time I was going to mod it this much. Should have bought used.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:54 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

I have really been looking into ordering an 08 but i keep thinking i could save an easy $5,000 or so and just buy an 05-06.

But some things i was worrying about....

How worried should i be about how the motor was broken in?
If swirls have already began to show.... Should i turn away right there?

I guess what im asking is.... Should i just pony up and pay or would it be smarter to go with the 05-06?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!
Personally, I would never concider buying this car mid year. I had to have the '05 - the 1st year production run.

If you plan on selling the car at some later date, buy a mid year production.

If you look around on Ebay you can find some really good deals.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Maverick9110E
2nd Gear Member

i was going to buy a new 07 or order an 08. couldnt find one in black, was about to order an 08 when somone sold their 2005 Black GT back to the dealer so he could buy some property up north. Apparently the dealer said they work with the guy all the time, and just bought the car back, no trade in or anything. i didnt even think twice when they told me they had a used one, but later in the day i decided to take a look, couldnt hurt. went down. the car was 2 years old, only 13k miles on it. not a scratch on it, still had the orginal lugnuts (the non locking ones) in a sealed back under the trunk carpeting. the old guy who drove it kept it in a garage and forgot his classical music in it. the only thing he added to it was integrated bluetooth. picked it up for just over 20k. saved myself about 7-8k
Old 12-26-2007, 09:18 AM
06Redfire3V
5th Gear Member

Adam get an s197!! We can cruise it up together in Owasso and TUlsa [8D]

Old 12-26-2007, 09:25 AM
Cubs17
3rd Gear Member

I bought used. My father is the parts manager at the dealership and I got an 05 GT with 8k miles on it for 17k. I then bought the bumper to bumper 75k 5 year warranty through master tech for at cost to the dealership. I would do the same again in a heartbeat.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:24 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Bought my '05 GT a year ago with only 6K miles, for like $18K out the door. Nice price! Only have had worn clutch problems, otherwise a great car.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:41 AM
bcstang
2nd Gear Member

bought my 05 with 16000 km on it. i havent had any problems and i have had it for over a year now. i saved about 8500 when i bought it plus it had the exact louvers i wanted, and the mac boomtubes i wanted. so really i saved cloer to 10 g's. not to mention i got the same % on the interest as they quoted me for new.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I think to sum up this thread,

1) Weigh your options on new vs used ( i.e. interest rate is higher on used vs new but a new car is going to take a huge hit its first year in depreciation) (IMO if you have to buy the car with a with more than a 60month loan, you can't afford the car to begin with).

2) Consider that not all used GT's are abused. My wife brought up a good point with the newer used GT's you see on the lots. People don't consider the cost of insurance when impulse buying. Chances are that 05-07 used GT with low miles was probably an impulse buy and when they got the first or second insurance bill, it was way more than they were planning/could affordso they had to trade it in and get a more sensible car. In those cases the cars probably weren'tbeat to hell. Owner just couldn't afford the car. Tires are good indicator of abuse. A car with under 15K miles should not have tires that are nearly bald.

3) Take the car to a reputable shop to have them give it the once over. Don't rely on the vendor to tell you it's good.

4) Run a carfax - can help you find any issues the car has had as well as if it has a washed title (Salvage title in one state, registered in another state, then brought back to clean the title and make it look 'clean' to a potential buyer)

5) There are aftermarket warranties that in some cases are better than the Ford warranties (Although Ford ESP is hard to beat)

6) DO NOT BUYSalvage title...insurance may not give you coverage and you won't know if the car has a fatal defect that could end up killing you in an otherwise survivable accident.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Vegasfilter
3rd Gear Member

Used..FTM....mine was in great shape...still is...was either a slightly used stang, or a new 07 4 door tacoma...i drove the mustang...rest is history.