Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-23-2015, 12:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Replace Shaker 500, Keep Sirius Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:16 PM
unit_three

Default Replace Shaker 500, Keep Sirius Radio?

Hi, this is my 1st post because I've been searching the internet over and over and cant find an answer.

I have an 07 Mustang GT/CS with the Shaker 500 system that came with Sirius Radio. What I want to do is replace the Shaker 500 with an aftermarket reciever but still keep the Sirius radio that came with the car. I have a deck that is Satellite Ready (a Kenwood). All the adapters I've found only cover the speakers but I haven't found an adapter for the plug that is used for the satellite radio (center plug on the 500 - i tested by disconnecting it and everything worked except that the shaker 500 didnt switch to sirius when i hit aux twice)

Has anyone done this, or know of any adapters that can help? Last thing I want to do is have to install another Siruis antenna, wires, etc in the car when everything is already in place and all i need is some adapter. Thanks! I hope to stick around here too
Old 01-07-2008, 02:12 PM
steveo555
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Replace Shaker 500, Keep Sirius Radio?

I think you need this, http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...dParentID=7870
but I am not sure.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:53 PM
unit_three

hmm

yeah, after thinking about it some i figured i'm screwed out of the stock sirius system so here's the plan.

1st I'm buying this from Fry's when I get out of work (same price as offered on crutchfield)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FdtXlwY...search=SV3+TK1

its a simple sirius kit (i wont be able to control the satellite directly from the headunit but whatever, i could care less) that comes with the car accessories and antenna needed but the thing is that it works by FM transmitter so sound quality is bad right? but fry's also sells this...

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...mp;i=607FMDA25

FM Direct adapter for Sirius also for the same price that crutchfield offers. yeah, i love fry's.

so i'll be $70's poorer but much happier I guess. anyway, i've read stories on people having problems with so called SAT Ready units so its one less risk.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:56 PM
JimC

I have the Sirius One and the FM Direct adapter and it works fine - good sound and no loss of signal. You can probably plug the antenna on your trunk into that Sirius kit, as long as you have enough cable to get it to the kit.

You can remove the Sirius receiver from your trunk (passenger side behind the panel) and sell it and the cable - one of these days I plan to pick one up and have it go through the shaker 500 like you have now.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:38 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

You don't have to use the FM modulator. You can use the direct audio output from the Sirius tuner to the AUX input of your aftermarket head unit with a $4 cable from Radio Shack. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT waste any $$$ on FM modulation garbage if you care at all about sound quality. I am in the exact same boat as you...'07 GT/CS with Shaker 500, replacing it with a Kenwood and Sportster 4. The portable unit is my best option because it will have shared duty between two cars and home stereo. I haven't started digging into it yet, but I'm hoping to be able to use the same antenna that came on the car.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:47 PM
unit_three

ORIGINAL: breathegood

You don't have to use the FM modulator. You can use the direct audio output from the Sirius tuner to the AUX input of your aftermarket head unit with a $4 cable from Radio Shack. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT waste any $$$ on FM modulation garbage if you care at all about sound quality. I am in the exact same boat as you...'07 GT/CS with Shaker 500, replacing it with a Kenwood and Sportster 4. The portable unit is my best option because it will have shared duty between two cars and home stereo. I haven't started digging into it yet, but I'm hoping to be able to use the same antenna that came on the car.
i had to use the FM direct connection because the AUX input on my aftermarket is being used for an Ipod connection and I dont want wires everywhere when i want to switch between my Ipod and Sirius.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:52 PM
unit_three

ORIGINAL: JimC

I have the Sirius One and the FM Direct adapter and it works fine - good sound and no loss of signal. You can probably plug the antenna on your trunk into that Sirius kit, as long as you have enough cable to get it to the kit.

You can remove the Sirius receiver from your trunk (passenger side behind the panel) and sell it and the cable - one of these days I plan to pick one up and have it go through the shaker 500 like you have now.
passenger side behind the panel? um... what panel? let me know so I can reused the old satellite antenna. I did the install yesterday but i didnt trace the old siruis antenna back to see where it plugs into, i just put the new magnetic antenna on the trunk behind the old one (its smaller than the one the car came with so its not really noticable).
Old 01-08-2008, 04:57 PM
unit_three

Also some helpful info for anyone who might read this post....

Sirius was able to transfer my "OEM Trial Account" (or something like that) to my new reciever even though i kind of had to beat it into the Sales Reps head a couple of times. I'll post up pics of the install later.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:42 PM
unit_three

like i said, i'd post some pics

things taken apart (placed the sirius radio in the middle of the dash for easy access)

and now all together

hope this helps out anyone with similar problems like mine. very easy install.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:04 PM
JimC

ORIGINAL: unit_three

ORIGINAL: JimC

passenger side behind the panel? um... what panel? let me know so I can reused the old satellite antenna. I did the install yesterday but i didnt trace the old siruis antenna back to see where it plugs into, i just put the new magnetic antenna on the trunk behind the old one (its smaller than the one the car came with so its not really noticable).
On the passenger side, in the trunk, there is a carpeted panel that runs from the wheel well to the rear tail light. Pull up the spare tire cover and then pull that panel (there should be some round clips, they may be the insert style clips, I haven't really checked them closely) and the Sirius sending unit is mounted there. This is what it looks like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32