Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Impressions - a rookie's report

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension Impressions - a rookie's report

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine
Good write-up and impressions on your suspension.
Question: It seems to be fairly uncommon for someone to upgrade their front sway bar. Why is this? Is there little to be gained from this upgrade? Or is upgrading the rear sway bar enough in terms of getting less body roll?
The stock front sway bar is plenty stiff and not particularly well matched to the rear (on the GT anyway). This contributes to the stock understeer built into the car. Putting a bit stiffer rear sway in will act to balance the car.

But, if you want less body rollconsider the spring rates and center of gravity. The stock springs (which aren't all that stiff) and a high CG are what make the car roll a lot.Lowering springs target both areas- they are stiffer by nature and they lower the car's CG.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

Wow, all that mods and the car still is STEEDA free! weird.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:13 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine
Good write-up and impressions on your suspension.
Question: It seems to be fairly uncommon for someone to upgrade their front sway bar. Why is this? Is there little to be gained from this upgrade? Or is upgrading the rear sway bar enough in terms of getting less body roll?
The stock front sway bar is plenty stiff and not particularly well matched to the rear (on the GT anyway). This contributes to the stock understeer built into the car. Putting a bit stiffer rear sway in will act to balance the car.

But, if you want less body rollconsider the spring rates and center of gravity. The stock springs (which aren't all that stiff) and a high CG are what make the car roll a lot.Lowering springs target both areas- they are stiffer by nature and they lower the car's CG.

Thanks! Great answer!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:20 PM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lito

Wow, all that mods and the car still is STEEDA free! weird.
yeah, i guess that is kinda abnormal, but i just went with forum recommendations - quality over brand recognition
Old 01-17-2008, 06:48 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

You can keep the firmness in the rear and decreasethe oversteer by going back to the stock rear swaybar. With the upgraded springs and shocks you should be able to properly tune your suspension and get great ride and handling without the need for a stifffer rear bar. Swaybars often overcompensate for a poor suspension setup.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:39 PM
08Steeda
3rd Gear Member

I went Steeda all the way! partly because my 05 GT was set on fire by some arsonist and I was in a hurry to get something new and decided to go with something that is far from Stock.

Steeda has great products and I got my GT after Steeda added the Q350 package to it. So I started with my 2008 all tweaked out. I wish I had gone with the Q400 0r Q450 now but oh well. Whipple is going on as soon as Steeda and Whipple complete the 08 HO SC.

I can say that driving a bone stock 05 GT was fun but I did not realize the gains by getting a complete suspension upgrade. They are like completely different cars! They do not respond or drive even close to one another. Matter of fact my buddy has a Stock Convertible GT 2008 and we swapped on the way to our local watering hole and I was again (and so was he) amazed at the difference in response and feel.

I love my Steeda.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:16 PM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 08Steeda

I went Steeda all the way! partly because my 05 GT was set on fire by some arsonist and I was in a hurry to get something new and decided to go with something that is far from Stock.

Steeda has great products and I got my GT after Steeda added the Q350 package to it. So I started with my 2008 all tweaked out. I wish I had gone with the Q400 0r Q450 now but oh well. Whipple is going on as soon as Steeda and Whipple complete the 08 HO SC.

I can say that driving a bone stock 05 GT was fun but I did not realize the gains by getting a complete suspension upgrade. They are like completely different cars! They do not respond or drive even close to one another. Matter of fact my buddy has a Stock Convertible GT 2008 and we swapped on the way to our local watering hole and I was again (and so was he) amazed at the difference in response and feel.

I love my Steeda.
that is a gorgeous machine you have there i remember reading all about the arson incident; i was sorry to learn about the whole thing, but i'm glad that you ended up with such a sick stang as a result! talk about the phoenix rising from teh ashes