Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok all you mustang guru's.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Livestrong

Default Ok all you mustang guru's.....

This is my 1st post so I wanna say hello 1st of all.

I recently got back on a mustang kick and started reading tons of forums. This forum seems to have a lot of really nice, knowledgablepeople so I figured I would ask a pretty big question.

I'm interested in getting an 08 GT 5 speed and modding it to at least an easy 12 second car. I've owned mustangs in the past but never had the money to really get down and dirty with the mods, (i.e. supercharger, turbo, etc). What I've seen in the forums is most people do the CAI Tune, Full exhaust, UDP's, Some kind of program, (i.e. Predator, SCT), Throttle body upgrade, and I'm sure there's more bolt on's that I'm leaving out. Here is what I was thinking of doing but not sure about reliable name brands and such:

08 GT 5 Speed

CAI Tune (what exactly does this involve?)

SCT tune

Bassani X pipe w/cats and JBA axle backs. (Sound clip--->> http://youtube.com/watch?v=GYk1nGLSA...eature=related)

Are headers necessary?

UDP's (is this necessary?)

75mm TB (I had a 70mm on my 2000 GT, is the 75 right? Seen peeps on here with 75mm)

Hurst shifter (had a Pro 5.0 on my 2000 and it seemed to hang up between every gear... not sure if all the short throws do this but want to try another)

Dyno tune

Last but not least.....
2.4L Kenne Belle

Will the mod list up top change a great deal with the KB? Should I do the KB 1st then other mods? I have no idea where to start guys because I'm not familiar with all off this. All I know is what I've read and what I would like to achieve. Power and reliability.

Mostly I just wanna be able towhip a GTO, Camaro, Vette or most anything that comes around, or at least hang with em.

I totally appreciate any help anyone can give. You guys have a good evening.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:59 PM
brendend
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Ok all you mustang guru's.....

ORIGINAL: Livestrong

This is my 1st post so I wanna say hello 1st of all.

I recently got back on a mustang kick and started reading tons of forums. This forum seems to have a lot of really nice, knowledgablepeople so I figured I would ask a pretty big question.

I'm interested in getting an 08 GT 5 speed and modding it to at least an easy 12 second car. I've owned mustangs in the past but never had the money to really get down and dirty with the mods, (i.e. supercharger, turbo, etc). What I've seen in the forums is most people do the CAI Tune, Full exhaust, UDP's, Some kind of program, (i.e. Predator, SCT), Throttle body upgrade, and I'm sure there's more bolt on's that I'm leaving out. Here is what I was thinking of doing but not sure about reliable name brands and such:

08 GT 5 Speed

CAI Tune (what exactly does this involve?)

SCT tune

Bassani X pipe w/cats and JBA axle backs. (Sound clip--->> http://youtube.com/watch?v=GYk1nGLSA...eature=related)

Are headers necessary?

UDP's (is this necessary?)

75mm TB (I had a 70mm on my 2000 GT, is the 75 right? Seen peeps on here with 75mm)

Hurst shifter (had a Pro 5.0 on my 2000 and it seemed to hang up between every gear... not sure if all the short throws do this but want to try another)

Dyno tune

Last but not least.....
2.4L Kenne Belle

Will the mod list up top change a great deal with the KB? Should I do the KB 1st then other mods? I have no idea where to start guys because I'm not familiar with all off this. All I know is what I've read and what I would like to achieve. Power and reliability.

Mostly I just wanna be able towhip a GTO, Camaro, Vette or most anything that comes around, or at least hang with em.

I totally appreciate any help anyone can give. You guys have a good evening.

for the cai get a jlt or c&l.
headers are nessicary imo long tubes are the best for power.
the tb, no dont get it, alot of problems
udp... not worth the cost imo but its up 2 you
as for the shifter i cant help you there since i have a auto. a dyno tune is better then a canned or one from a company like brenspeed or b.ama but they are good to. i would hold off on the dyno tune untill the kenne bell is installed. i would alse get a set of 373 gears.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Livestrong

Thanks man, at least I have a start.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:22 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

you can get there with CAI/tune, Udps and tires and the most important of all the good driver mod....LTs, CMCV would just make it easier.....and a blower will get you to 11s
Old 01-16-2008, 08:27 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

if you thinking KB, then do that first, after breaking in the engine. also full exhaust w/ headers is good w/ SC. if you are going FI, all those bolt ons will be null and void, thus a waste of money. trust me i went that route, look at my mods below, now i'm going FI soon and will need to sell the CAI. if you want to hang w/ LS1's, vettes and other 400+ hp cars you gotta go FI, so CAI, UDP, etcwont catch you up w/ a vette.

and about the pro 5.0 mine is smooth shifting, was notchy at first but loosened up after a few weeks.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Livestrong

What is CMCV?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:29 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

T.B. not worth it. If you are going to start off with the super charger then you will not need the CAI, and tune, as they will replace them. The two best shifters for the s197 are the MGW, and Hurst. + 1 on the 373 gears. Yes on long tube headers.Mostlyimportantly welcome to the forums.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Livestrong

I see. More good info. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:33 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Livestrong

What is CMCV?
charge motion contol valve (deletes)
they give better air flow on the intake manifold. deleting the restrictive control valves. adds about 8-10 rwhp