Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ripped on my 05' GT!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Cappi
2nd Gear Member

Default Ripped on my 05' GT!

Just want everyone to know about Ramp Ford & their shady dealings. They are in Port Jeff Station on Long Island NY

On 3/17 I found that they had an 05 GT on their lot. I went down there & they wanted $1000 over sticker price on it. It didnt even have the interior upgrade that I wanted.

I wanted the car anyway so I gave them a $205 deposit & signed the papers with the intent to buy anyway. Right after I left there I called around to a few other dealerships to see if I can find it with the interior upgrade. To my surprise Newins Ford in Bayshore got one in that day & was willing to sell it at sticker price!!

I was so excited, I immdeiately called Ramp ford back to tell them I didnt want teir car. It was a maximum of 2 hours after I walked out of their showroom. They told me I could not do that & they would keep my deposit if I tried.

I told them I didnt want their car & I wanted the one with the interior upgrade. I then went down to Newins Ford & signed the deal on the car & couldnt have been happier. I saved money on the car & got the upgraded options.

Went I went back to Ramp Ford the next morning to get my deposit, the Manager & I got into a huge screaming fight over it, he was cursing & screaming at me & tried to throw me out of his store. Never the less, I didnt get my money back. The cops had to come to get me to leave.

I am now taking them to small claims court & reporting to the BBB about it.

Its not the $200 that bothers me, it was worth the extra money to get the car I wanted, its just the fact that a scumbag place can try to do that to people. I cancelled an order 2 hours after I handed them money & they are telling me I cant have it back???They are theives & now I will bad mouth them every chance I get. I would never recommend anyone buy a car from them.

Newins Ford was fantastic, thanks Steve!!!

Old 03-25-2005, 06:02 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Ripped on my 05' GT!

That's your own stupid *** fault. What do you think a deposit is? It's a promise that you'll come back and buy the car. You came back alright, not to buy the car, but to retract your word and promise to buy the car.

Chalk it up to a live and learn experience.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:10 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

No it is not your fault. It is a national law that the deposit is refundable. The deposit is not a commitment that you will buy it, it is simply putting the car on hold until you make a decision. Hall Ford in my area tried the same thing. I ordered one but found one just like I wanted at a different dealer so I bought it. Hall wouldn't give me my $ back but I had put the deposit on my credit card so I called my credit card company and they charged Hall back so I did not pay that $500.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Cappi
2nd Gear Member

Mike-V, are you really as ignorant as you sound?

You should speak so confidently about something you dont have a clue about.

I cancelled the deal 2 hours later, it is completely against the law for them to keep that money. There is a window where you are allowed to change your mind. 2 hours does NOT exceed that at all!!

My brother works in a used car dealership & Newins Ford told me the same thing. I looked into it & if I take them to small claims I will win hands down,...

Either way $205 wont break me at all, I saved $1000 on the car anyway, its just the point & the way they tried to do it. I would think it would be worth the $200 for them to not get the bad reviews that I am going to spread as much as I possibly can.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:30 PM
BigDaddyArt

Mike V is right. I just typed out a nice legal explanation, but for some reason it didn't go through and I am not going to type that out again. So unless there is some odd law specifically for car dealers concerning the refundability of deposits, they are legally allowed to keep your deposit. In fact, if they can't sell the vehicle for as much as you had agreed to pay, they could sue you for the difference since you signed a contract to purchase.

757GT - You mind showing me that law, because I don't see it anywhere in the UCC. About the deposit not being a commitment, you are right. You are again right that the deposit is a means to hold the vehicle, but when you say you don't want it, the dealer gets to keep the money to compensate them for not selling it to the next guy off the street, even if that guy offered to pay twice as much. Its give and take. You have to give them money to hold onto something while you take your time to think. If your scheme was how it is, I could go put a $200 deposit down on a $30,000 car and hold it until $30,000 had devalued through inflation for 20 years and then purchase it. I call BS.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:32 PM
BigDaddyArt

Time is not a factor, you cannot revoke acceptance without cause. Have you talked to a lawyer about this, because your dealer buddies don't count. I am not a lawyer yet, so I can't dispense advice on your claims court plan, but I am a law student and I don't see how you could win, unless they just didn't show up.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Cappi
2nd Gear Member

Big Daddy,..

You are wrong, I already did the research, it IS against the law, you have 3 days. 2 hours does fit the criteria, It is called the "Z" claus.

Look into it,....
Old 03-25-2005, 06:35 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Cappi

Mike-V, are you really as ignorant as you sound?

You should speak so confidently about something you dont have a clue about.

I cancelled the deal 2 hours later, it is completely against the law for them to keep that money. There is a window where you are allowed to change your mind. 2 hours does NOT exceed that at all!!

My brother works in a used car dealership & Newins Ford told me the same thing. I looked into it & if I take them to small claims I will win hands down,...

Either way $205 wont break me at all, I saved $1000 on the car anyway, its just the point & the way they tried to do it. I would think it would be worth the $200 for them to not get the bad reviews that I am going to spread as much as I possibly can.
Ok...why do they call it a deposit then...why would the dealer hold the car for you if they don't KNOW if your going to buy it.

If you are right take them to court and get MORE than your $205.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:42 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

I agree with BigDaddyArt,

Reverse the situation, If the dealer would have had a better offer after you left and sold it, You would be plastering it all over the web too.
The fact is it is an agreement, you cant have it one sided, if that is the way it worked they wouldn't EVER take deposits, there would be NO benifit to them.

Yes, you can change your mind, but the deposit is nonrefundable unless spelled out that it is... and what seller would ever do that?

I got burned selling a truck, a guy was sitting in my kitchen buying it and the phone rang, the guy on the phone wanted my truck, but the guy in my house said no
he would buy it, so I told the guy on the phone it was sold. Then the guy in my house bailed on the deal.

Live and learn
Old 03-25-2005, 06:45 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

Isn't the three day deal to return it? I don't think it says that you get a deposit back

Quick Reply: Ripped on my 05' GT!