Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Bunching problem with Roush hood scoop and vinyl stripes

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:12 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: "Bunching problem with Roush hood scoop and vinyl stripes

Just got an email from Rob confirming this - he says he now has stripes you can install without removing the Roush scoop.

Obviously, this will resolve the bunching problem. I just need to know what kits are available with this option. Not sure if the site is updated but I am going to call.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:45 AM
bossdriver
1st Gear Member

I have had the same problem with a factory GT hood scoop. I first added thicker weather strip under the hood scoop (as advised by BSM) and that helped some but not enough. I recently cut my stripes around my hood scoop so there will not be any contact in the future. I won't know how this works for a whileas my Mustang is in winter storage for now.

I wasadvised on how to do the cutout by a body shop man. I took 1/8" striping tape and applied it right next to my hood scoop, on top of my existing hood stripes. Then I removed the hood scoop and then very carefullycut my hood stripes with a razor blade, using the inside edgeof the 1/8" tape as a guide. Afterfinishing the cut I removed the 1/8" striping tape (came off very easily) and replaced my hood scoop. It looks pretty good and I'm sure I won't have any "bunching" in the future. I'm sure this could also be done with another type of tape (masking, etc.) but the thin striping tape was easy to make the corner curves following the hood scoop's profile. I had the most problem at the front corners of the hood scoop where I just used a pencil to mark for the cut. The cuts in this area turned out to be a bit too wide but won't be very noticable.

Another note about this, was how to remedy the puckers in the hood stripes before cutting. I used a hair dryer and a plastic squeegeeto help smooth out the wrinkes, after I first removed the hood scoop.Then I replaced the hood scoop and marked it with the 1/8" striping tape.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:14 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bossdriver

I have had the same problem with a factory GT hood scoop. I first added thicker weather strip under the hood scoop (as advised by BSM) and that helped some but not enough. I recently cut my stripes around my hood scoop so there will not be any contact in the future. I won't know how this works for a while as my Mustang is in winter storage for now.

I was advised on how to do the cutout by a body shop man. I took 1/8" striping tape and applied it right next to my hood scoop, on top of my existing hood stripes. Then I removed the hood scoop and then very carefully cut my hood stripes with a razor blade, using the inside edge of the 1/8" tape as a guide. After finishing the cut I removed the 1/8" striping tape (came off very easily) and replaced my hood scoop. It looks pretty good and I'm sure I won't have any "bunching" in the future. I'm sure this could also be done with another type of tape (masking, etc.) but the thin striping tape was easy to make the corner curves following the hood scoop's profile. I had the most problem at the front corners of the hood scoop where I just used a pencil to mark for the cut. The cuts in this area turned out to be a bit too wide but won't be very noticable.

Another note about this, was how to remedy the puckers in the hood stripes before cutting. I used a hair dryer and a plastic squeegee to help smooth out the wrinkes, after I first removed the hood scoop. Then I replaced the hood scoop and marked it with the 1/8" striping tape.

You are a braver man than I. I would be afraid I'd cut into the paint or I'd have done it that way too. I saw a Shelby GT in a dealer's showroom with stripes cut about an 1/8" outside of the scoop. You said you cut on the inside of the tape, I assume that means the edge up against the scoop. Or did you leave a bit of space away from the scoop?
Old 02-10-2008, 01:48 PM
blk07gt
2nd Gear Member

man that sucks, i say cut it out
Old 02-10-2008, 05:26 PM
bossdriver
1st Gear Member

Yes, I cut the stripes on the inside of the pinstripe tape, the side that wasup against the hood scoop. Of course I had removed the hood scoop before I started cutting so it wouldn't be in the way. No, I didn't leave any space between the hood scoop and the cut stripes. You need a very sharp, new razor blade and just be real careful as you cut. It doesn't take much pressure. After I had cut a little ways and got some confidence it was not really that difficult to do. I figured the worst I could do would be to cut into the clear coat, which could be repaired.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:41 AM
07PonyVert
1st Gear Member

I guess this is great news but bad news as well. I got my stripes ordered from BSM in late December and had them and the roush scoop installed. I had no idea about the problem and within days, the bunching started. I wonder if Rob might be so kind as to send me a set of the new cutout stripes to replace the standard ones?? I hate to think there goes another $150 between stripes and installation just to remedy the problem....
Old 02-11-2008, 10:14 AM
blk07gt
2nd Gear Member

06PonyVert that would suck
congrats though bossdriver
Old 02-11-2008, 11:02 AM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

My old Roush came that way from the factory [:'(] Painted stripes FTW