Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regreted mods. Pick a mod you were disappointed with.

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Called local Mustang shop and I'm lost for words........

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

This is my next Mod. I'm going to pay some bills maybe get some things for the house with the tax returnand next month when I get all this O/T working 6 days a week and almost 10 hour days I'm going to get this.

Some what do you guys & gals think? are these good rims (quality) and tires?
First question - what do you want from this mod? A little better handling? straight line running? Appearance only? Other?

Second - what will the new wheels do to support what you want the car to do differently? Wider? Different offset? Other?

I'm not familiar with those specific wheels, but as far as the tires go, I'd rate them as "good but not great". Not on my own personal'short list', but you may well be happy with them (the AA A part of the UTQG rating is impressive, so they are better than just decent). Disclaimer: I drive pretty hard, especially cornering, so I'm probably fussier about my tires than most people you're likely torun across.

Norm
Old 02-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I want them for looks and mostly interstate driving. No Grand Touring here really. Thanks for answering question and you were the first. Anyone here bought tires from American Muscle?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:05 PM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

I have the anthracite 18" version of those rims, they are really nice, you'll like them. I also have those tires. The only thing I can caution you about those tires is if you drive them in cold weather, they get really slippery. I drove my stang to work one day last week with those tires on, turned left and the back end almost swung around. It wasn't wet or anything like that, just cold. (29 degrees). I haven't driven them on wet roads yet but I have heard they aren't as good on wet roads as you'd think with that tread pattern.
Only mod I've regretted so far is the O/R X pipe. I can't seem to find one that doesn't leak. I have a new one from Pypes sitting in the garage, we'll see how that goes. If that doesn't work I might go with the Prochamber next time.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06VistaBlueGT

Only mod I've regretted so far is the O/R X pipe. I can't seem to find one that doesn't leak. I have a new one from Pypes sitting in the garage, we'll see how that goes. If that doesn't work I might go with the Prochamber next time.
Can you weld the leak up? Or the new one in place?

I can't remember the last time I put an exhaust system together with just clamps . . .

Norm
Old 02-29-2008, 02:46 PM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

It's actually leaking at the manifold connection. Don't think I want to weld that. lol
Old 02-29-2008, 03:23 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

For the guy that said that outside FI theres no way to wake these cars up.... Not true. You can make a beast with a stroker kit, bored heads, etc etc. The catch is it costs too much. FI is the only mod worth the $$$ right now.

Give it a few years and S197s will have cheap parts, like heads, for a few hundred $$$. There will be some absolute beast S197s in a few years when modders by them used and parts are cheaper.
That would be me! What you mentioned I was thinking exactly but didn't type it all out. There is other ways, but like you said, it costs alot, and alot more work to get accomplished. I was thinking the money to horsepower ratio with bolt ons, like heads and cams vs just using the money you would've used on the heads and cams, kick in a little more (I'm speaking approximately) and just go FI instead for more HP.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:10 PM
nycstang37
1st Gear Member

not dissapointed so much as mad i got em so early, i bought a set of 20 in fooses, looked awesome, got compliments everywhere, but wish i would have waited till after the brembos, cuz they dont fit, now im selling them to get wheels that clear the brakes
Old 02-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Chevy Convert
2nd Gear Member

Flomaster AT's - nice sound, crappy fit and finish. You get what you pay for.