Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Start Button

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:34 AM
boosted94
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Start Button

Here's a link to a pdf file with installation instructions
http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/Start%20Button3.pdf
Old 03-04-2008, 07:59 AM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: justang07

i thought about this mod a few times but u still have to put the key in and turn like halfway. so its kinda pointless. correct me if im wrong. but i do like it tho.
In the s2000, where the button you want came from, you still turn they key and press the clutch on the manual, so it would really be the same sequence on our car.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:45 AM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

I know it would look a lot better than the power plug and you have one in the center console too anyways BUT...with a manual, I'm not sure if the mod is worth it. How much is the plug and time to install? Because for me, I'd have to hold the clutch and have the key turned halfway in the ignition. Cool feature though...you go for it Mickey!!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:58 PM
tungsten07
2nd Gear Member

those instructions say to use a 3 amp fuse lead with the switch but I see a lot of other instructions for other cars calling for a 30 amp relay with the switch. or do our cars just not need the relay??
Old 03-04-2008, 01:07 PM
tungstengrey07gt
2nd Gear Member

well i dont have a write up on this but i did recently just did this to my car an took my about 2 hrs tops. but here are some pics of mine. it lights up blue also.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Shredder
2nd Gear Member

I actually have the one from ford for the FordGT.. havnt installed it yet.

I have 2 reasons I got it

1. Cool factor, and yes thats why I payed extra to get teh one from the FordGT
2. I have a lot of gauges and sensors in my car, some of them need a little time to calibrate and warm up before I start the car.. so by turning the key to the accesory position, then taking my time to push the button to start.. that give the sensors enough time to calibrate
Old 03-04-2008, 03:38 PM
tungsten07
2nd Gear Member

bump

doesn't anyone think using a relay for this is a good idea or not?? i'm looking to do this as well but EVERYTHING i read says you need a relay. does anyone know of a write up for our cars that makes use ofa relay??
Old 03-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Shredder
2nd Gear Member

I have the kit from ford, and its supposed to come with everything, but doesnt come with a relay.
What would a relay be used for? As far as i remember, you splice the wire from the key that engages the starter and route it thru the button
Old 03-04-2008, 04:09 PM
kdrshocker
2nd Gear Member

for the s2000 - no you don't need a relay - thebutton hooks up to a 12 volt and the other prong goes to the starter wire. i didn't even use a fuse on mine. (it's been installed on my car for about 5 months and i have been meaning to put a fuse in for some time...)

06saleen3v - PM me if you have any questions about it. the hardest part is making the powerplug hole bigger. just take your time.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:18 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

That is correct, you don't need a fuse or a relay. I've had mine in for about 2 1/2 years and never had a problem.

Just a word of caution, if you turn the key on and wait too long to push the button, you will get a low oil warning. This is a known issue and nothing to worry about. The same thing happens with the key if you turn it to the on position for a while and wait before engaging the starter.

ALSO::: an added benfit of connecting the S2000 switch to a constant 12 V power source-- With the keys off, if you press the engine start button, you will provide power to all of your accessories for a few minutes or until the doors are opened. This has come in handy for me many many times. For example, I've been in the garage with the keys in the house and I would need to put the top up (or down) lower or raise the windows, take a CD out of the car, etc and I've been able to do it just by pushing the engine start button before operating the accesories. This is an extremely valuable feature.

Don't worry that the light on the engine start switch is on all the time. The power draw is miinimal. I've left my car siting still for 3-4 weeks at a time wthout the battery going dead.

As far as having to depres the clutch, to me that is second nature. I don't even think about it. Get in the car, step on the cluitch and turn the ignition switch to on. Its all jsut one motion.

Finally, the S2000 switch does not come with a connector and putting/soldering wires on the contacts is challenging. I found the best solution was to use a5 pin connector from a PC floppy drive power cable. I went to best buy and the guy in the repair shop had a bunch of them in his drawer. He gladly gave me a couple to play with. If you had to buy one, you can get them here for about $5 a pair:

https://kbscomputer.com/store/floppy...b18b45a1537fdc

I updated the instructions on my site to reflect the information regading the connector for the switch:

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/Start%20Button3.htm

Quick Reply: Engine Start Button