Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vented Hoods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Vented Hoods?

Not to totally hijack the thred, but givin it is hood related.

Does a GT500 hood fits a normal GT? (because of the front fascia)

I like how its vents are designed and they look to go right in top of the typical single turbo kit install, so would be nice to cool the engine bay a little.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:27 AM
T
1st Gear Member

It fits but it doesn't line up. The pilars on the grill side of the lights are verticle on GT horizontal on GT500 so the corners of the hood won't line up. They do however sell a hood that contours the GT's line and has the same style as the shelby hood. I think mrbodykit.com has one.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

I had a Trufiber hood with vents. It came with a set of pans that could be screwed in under the vents to catch water. BUT once they were full they would just drain into the engine bay.prettymuch over the coils. A **** poor design and not much good without some mods. Sent it back becuase of other flaws but thats a whole other story.
I do have a Cervinis hood with heat extractors.It came with drain pans that WORK. They can be installed in a few mins if needed. They drain water to the cowl areabelow the windshield where it supposed to go.. Thehood also came with thehidden washer relocation kit. Add the cost of both parts to the TF hood andthere isnot much difference in costbetween the two. Plus I have seen some nasty problems with several hoods from TF. Cervinis has hadit problems too. But no where near as bad as the Trufibers. JMO.
Heres a shot of the Cervinis drain pan system.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:29 AM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

Water in the engine compartment isn't really going to bother anything... like someone said the only real area of concern is where water can pool up by the coils...
Old 03-09-2008, 10:58 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Well atleast me .... I dont like the Idea of water + dirt going into my engine bay, even worst when I have my engine hot due to normal use. Its very different to wash the engine with water wile being cold than water getting into the engine while driving.

water in coils ... filter ... hot metals ... uhmmmm not for me ! [&:]
Old 03-09-2008, 11:11 AM
T
1st Gear Member

Not only that, but with such an intricate gutter system like teh one VA.Stang posted, there's no chance it even does any good to have vents. What i'm more looking at is the kits with the ram air system pulling right over the intake. I mean it literally just dumps water directly on the intake from what i can see.

Check out the link below for example. There are other ones from more credible companies that have the same design, it just doesn't seem logical to want water dumped on my intake.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

Old 03-09-2008, 11:17 AM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

Thats what you get for looking at a Dodge hood...

No but seriously, if I were to buy one of those hoods I'd drill a couple holes in that channel that supposedly takes air to the airbox location.... It's not like it will actually be connected to your inlet tube and be doing any good... Buy the hood for looks then order a cold-air kit and a tune from brenspeed...
Old 03-09-2008, 11:25 AM
T
1st Gear Member

I just more or less linked the first hood that pulled up. Well i mean the concept is nice, it definately would bring a fair amount of cold air to the intake. I have an AEM CAI and predator tuner off my 06 i am going to put in there once i'm done breaking this guy in. Although i'm starting to think i should make the switch to C&L with the xcal2
Old 03-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: T

Not only that, but with such an intricate gutter system like teh one VA.Stang posted, there's no chance it even does any good to have vents. What i'm more looking at is the kits with the ram air system pulling right over the intake. I mean it literally just dumps water directly on the intake from what i can see.

Check out the link below for example. There are other ones from more credible companies that have the same design, it just doesn't seem logical to want water dumped on my intake.
I only run the vents if its raining or starts raining. Takes a few min at the most to install. The Cervini hood also can be purchased with a air direction channel. But I choose not to buy it for the fact it puts the air and water right over the filter on a CAI. Thefront openings in the hoodallowfor plenty of cool air to comeinto the engine bay and intake area. I have made grilles for them to deflect water down when it enters the bay during rain also. But to tell the truth, I try not to drive in the rain.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:45 AM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

if you already have a cai and a tuner, i wouldnt bother spending any money to change it all.... it'll be money spent for no horespower gain... all the cai's no matter what anyone says give you about the same gain... it's all in whoever writes your tunes....

Quick Reply: Vented Hoods?