Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vented Hoods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:02 PM
T
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Vented Hoods?

I think i'll just avoid anything that has built in air ducting. I do like them for the looks, but it's definately more appealing to not have to worry about it if it starts to rain and i'm not ready for it. It looks pretty free flowing from below the intake area too, you can see right to the ground, so you're probably right, unles it is going to created a real ram air effect, it's probably worthless. Most intakes have a shroud to avoid engine heat as it is. Probably cheaper to get the fake ones.

I was tossing around the idea of a shaker hood, but i doubt it's functionality, It is just cheaper than a new hood and i'll do anything i can to get this ugly bolt on hood this thing came with. I know it does have gutters that channel water so it is a little less to think about.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:53 AM
macdadtexas

I am having massive problems with my Trufiber GTS hood. First of all, the water will be a problem. I live in Houston, and it's very hot here most of the year, and it rains, ALOT!! So the system they have for the louvers scared me from the minute that I got the hood, and I had to work on getting the covers to drain on my own. Just a terrible design really. Now I am worried about the water getting into the ram air/air intake area, and if the hood ever makes it onto the car, I will have to have plugs for that as well.

But that is the least of the worries. I took the hood to 2 very reputable paint shops and both wanted to charge me an arm and a leg,with the caveat that the hood could bubble up after the paint job, and I would be stuck. I thought they just didn't want to mess with it, so I bit the bullet and took it toa local dealer with a great reputatation for body work. It has now been there 2 weeks while I have a rented car, and the hood won't take paint. They say that the hood is so poorly made that there is nothing they can do. So Trufiber says that I need to send them pictures and then they will decide what to do!! This is going to end up costing me several thousand bucks and Trufiber will not do anything but send me a new hood, at best.

Really a poorly made product.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:53 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Above post os scary.

I have gts-2 hood and live in floridaand have the hood on the car and it was pouring and I mean pouring, dont think it rains any harder in the country then florida and I drove in it for about 30 minutes, top speed about 50 mph. As soon as I got home I popped the hood to see and the vents up front didnt leak anyway and werent full by any means and considering how hard it was raining they would have puddled up if it was parked in a matter of minutes. There was a tiny amount of water towards the front side of the heat shield on my c&l intake, but the filter itself wasnt really wet, maybe few drops but that was it, wich I think just came from mist, wich cant be good either but it wasnt soaked so I wasnt to concerened.I dont recomend taking it in the rain, if you can avoid it do it, but man when those vents are off and in this cool winter air feels like the car get so much fresh air, runs so smooth...........then summer comes and its 900 degrees out [:@]

I think im going to park my car for summers and just drive it in winter, Im gona do opposite as you guys up north [8D]
Old 03-10-2008, 05:57 AM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: macdadtexas

I am having massive problems with my Trufiber GTS hood. First of all, the water will be a problem. I live in Houston, and it's very hot here most of the year, and it rains, ALOT!! So the system they have for the louvers scared me from the minute that I got the hood, and I had to work on getting the covers to drain on my own. Just a terrible design really. Now I am worried about the water getting into the ram air/air intake area, and if the hood ever makes it onto the car, I will have to have plugs for that as well.

But that is the least of the worries. I took the hood to 2 very reputable paint shops and both wanted to charge me an arm and a leg,with the caveat that the hood could bubble up after the paint job, and I would be stuck. I thought they just didn't want to mess with it, so I bit the bullet and took it toa local dealer with a great reputatation for body work. It has now been there 2 weeks while I have a rented car, and the hood won't take paint. They say that the hood is so poorly made that there is nothing they can do. So Trufiber says that I need to send them pictures and then they will decide what to do!! This is going to end up costing me several thousand bucks and Trufiber will not do anything but send me a new hood, at best.

DON'T expect them to do anything for you. Trust me. You will send pictures, ship it back or whatever,butI found out they do NOT always back thier product. The list of people not happy with thier hoods is rather large. They take care of some people and others they blow off.So it seems you take your chances with them.Good luck with yours.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:56 AM
macdadtexas

ORIGINAL: Va. Stang

ORIGINAL: macdadtexas

DON'T expect them to do anything for you. Trust me. You will send pictures, ship it back or whatever,butI found out they do NOT always back thier product. The list of people not happy with thier hoods is rather large. They take care of some people and others they blow off.So it seems you take your chances with them.Good luck with yours.

The body shop has been great, and LMPerformance, where I bought the hood has gotten involved, but TruFiber is trying to wash their hands of it. I am not happy at all. I understand that there can be imperfect products, but their attitude and customer service has been really poor. I could never recommend a product of theirs.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:43 PM
macdadtexas

Just to finish this off, TruFiber did not help me out, and I have a hood that has been painted, and never put on the car. It continues to bubble up whenever it hits the sun. The dealership had it for about 8 weeks, and probably put about 70+ hours on it. I saw it in about 10 different states of primer and paint, but it would never work. At this point, I have it sitting in the 100+ deg sun hoping all of the bubble will come out after it has baked all summer. Then I will try to sand and smooth it myself before I throw it out. About a $1200 mistake all in all. I would never recommend buying one of their products, if they are still in business that is.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:50 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

I am not surprised, I feel bad for what you had to go through, $1,200 and no hood, it is a damn shame. I have seen a lot of reports of TruFiber having a crappy product, just ask VA Stang what he went through. There are a lot of guys on this board pimping these hoods out and I can only say they are having them bought for them or they are really lucky. It is a shame when a company does not stand behind their product or provide good customer service, but the bright side is they will probably go out of business if they continue to act this way and that is what they deserve.