Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 03:07 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Snow

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: GT06GT

MI here, I keep it garaged in the winter, but if anyone knows MI's weather, it will go from sunny and warm to a snow storm in under 12 hrs. Either way, not checking the weather, i took it out on a sunny day, dry roads. Turns out after my 9 hour shift there was 2 inches on the ground and another 5 coming throughout the night. Highway traffic was moving at about 45ish because it was pure snow on the high way and I drove home in my stock perelli's with no problems what so ever, Just kept it in 5th to keep the rpm's low and didnt gas it around turns, It actually drove a lot better then i thought it would. If I was forced to drive it in the winter, Even without snow tires, I wouldthink just all season tires would be completly ok to drive in. Id imagine I could get some decent speed with some snow tires

Here'smy wife'sscenario.........She wake up at 5:30 am, heads out forher daily 35 mile, one way commute before the snow plow man has had time to clear the roads.She begins at 8000 feet above sea level forher eventual climb up to 10,200 feet. It is black out, snow is blowing sideways, visibility is 50 feet. Someone southbound passes you and for 5 seconds, you can't see the front of your car from all the powder snow kicked up by the passing car. After 25 minutes of this white knuckle driving, you reach a flat, wide part in the road that is called Hayden Meadows. It is open so the drifting now begins. This is a welcome sight because it means if you loose traction, you won't slide offinto the partially frozen river on one side or the mountain on the other. You see a two foot deep drift spreading across both lanes of the highway. You increase speed now to bust through the snow. But you can't because the drift is 50 feet wide. You hammer down just trying to reach the other side. Once you do, the belts start to slip because of the powdered snow that has now made it's way into the engine compartment. You continue on, your coffee growing cold because you don't dare take a single hand off the steering wheel. Another 5 miles passes like this and you now see the lights of your town. You have almost made it. But before you can shut down the car and wipe the cold sweat from your brow, you have to climb the one way street heading up to your work that is choked on both sides with parked cars, snow ghosts really because some haven't moved since last October before all of the 25 feet of snow began to fall. The one lane street is rutted badly. You see, it is spring time in the Rockies and it gets upto 40 during some days and refreezes at night. Your S197 has become a locomotive. You can now let go of the steering wheel because of the ruts and the GT takes you safely to work. You power down, only to find that the snow plow man hasn't done the parking lot yet. You make your way across 16 inches of fresh snow andtrudge your way into the office. You kick on the electric space heater located under your desk to dry out your feet. In 30 minutes, over 400 screaming kids and bitchy parents will come crashing through the front doors. Such is the life of a Middle School Principal in the Colorado Rockies.
I would get a new job or a new vehicle. Probably both actually.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:17 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

She loves her job. The kids don't come from the best of homes and are truely needy for what they miss at home. Besides being an educator, an administrator, a social worker and a shoulder to cry on, she is a mother to all the kids. All she needs is 3 miracles for sainthood. The drive.......she is tired of. It is dangerous, long and expensive. The district keeps throwing money at her so she won't leave. It's great but at a cost of less time at home. She feels she is missing out on so much. Good thing I am Mr. Mom for our now 14 year old son. We do have a Jeep that is high mileage now for times when the GT just will not go. Might trade it in but don't want another car payment.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:22 PM
MustangJim21
1st Gear Member

The GT is a F*_king beast, and life is to short to not enjoy driving such an awesome car everyday, regardless of what the weather is like.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:35 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangJim21

The GT is a F*_king beast, and life is to short to not enjoy driving such an awesome car everyday, regardless of what the weather is like.

I agree. We bought the GT to drive and enjoy. I suppose when we wear it out, we will get another one. But, in our extreme climate and with 500 foot drop offs and other hazards, sometimes it just isn't a safe or intelligent thing to do. SNOW DAY!!!