Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a Tuner wears out the engine faster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:45 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Using a Tuner wears out the engine faster?

ORIGINAL: speedstang06

ORIGINAL: vphokie

I'm no genius on this topic....but to me, it would seem that it's not so much the tune that affects the wear, but how you drive the car. Stock tune or 93 tune, if you drive it hard, then the engine and accessories will get more wear. I don't think that a tune would really hurt your "life expectancy" of your engine. But that's just me hypothesizing.
+1

I'd say 90% of the s197 owners seem to tune their engines too, so I would doubt that it hurts it, its all in the way you care for it/drive it.
Probably 10% of owners mod their cars. Don't let the board fool ya... most Mustang owners don't change a thing. I personally know 5 owners, 2 GT's and 3 V6's, and the most any has done is the wheels. 3 have done nothing. None have tuned the car.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Burnsy

ORIGINAL: Legion5
I actually know the exact answer to your question but I'm not going to give it because you don't need to know that as your post is a concern about tuners causing a negative faster engine wear, and the answer which addresses this then is tunes are never a bad thing.
You'll probably save 6 fold on gas from a tune versus the cost of extra maintenance at 150k miles.

Those are quite bold statements, and I happen to know they are wrong.
I've never seen a properly done tune cause any problem that no tune wouldn't. Tunes disable safety features which give them some of their power sure, but no one really encounters a need for those safety measures which is catastrophic, so what ends up happening is the engine will just get a little more wear for running lean for .01 second, like I said not a bit deal if you're probably going to save more than enough on gas to make up for this.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:51 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

How you drive the car = how long it will last. Low load = long life.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:58 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

That statement is bogus man! That's like saying "I happen to know where golden treasure is"

I actually know the exact answer to your question but I'm not going to give it because you don't need to know that as your post is a concern about tuners causing a negative faster engine wear, and the answer which addresses this then is tunes are never a bad thing.
You'll probably save 6 fold on gas from a tune versus the cost of extra maintenance at 150k miles.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:01 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: LX200

ORIGINAL: speedstang06

ORIGINAL: vphokie

I'm no genius on this topic....but to me, it would seem that it's not so much the tune that affects the wear, but how you drive the car. Stock tune or 93 tune, if you drive it hard, then the engine and accessories will get more wear. I don't think that a tune would really hurt your "life expectancy" of your engine. But that's just me hypothesizing.
+1

I'd say 90% of the s197 owners seem to tune their engines too, so I would doubt that it hurts it, its all in the way you care for it/drive it.
Probably 10% of owners mod their cars. Don't let the board fool ya... most Mustang owners don't change a thing. I personally know 5 owners, 2 GT's and 3 V6's, and the most any has done is the wheels. 3 have done nothing. None have tuned the car.
agreed....90% on the board maybe, but this a small amount of the s197s out there....there are soooo many people that own stangs not on the forum
Old 03-12-2008, 11:02 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

That statement is bogus man! That's like saying "I happen to know where golden treasure is"

I actually know the exact answer to your question
but I'm not going to give it because you don't need to know that as your post is a concern about tuners causing a negative faster engine wear, and the answer which addresses this then is tunes are never a bad thing.

I call BS on this too.....there is no way to tell, you can only guess......every engine is different and every person drives differently
Old 03-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

I hope you are not referring to me...
Old 03-12-2008, 11:42 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

People need to understand that making an engine EFFICIENT does not hurt engine life. Its how the engine was built and you're simply using what was built into it.

Now, if you put on underdrive pulleys then ok, it might hurt engine life from faster revs or less dampening.

Or maybe you get bored out heads then the extra power may wear out the whole engine faster.

Or you put on a supercharger so the mass amount of extra power may wear the engine out faster

But, simply tuning the actual block to get the built-in block/heads power out of it will not wear it down at all. The only wear is the extra fast RPMs you'll be driving at for fun.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Blueherd............MUMS The Word

Old 03-12-2008, 11:58 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

I actually know the exact answer to your question
but I'm not going to give it because you don't need to know that as your post is a concern about tuners causing a negative faster engine wear, and the answer which addresses this then is tunes are never a bad thing.

I call BS on this too.....there is no way to tell, you can only guess......every engine is different and every person drives differently
I have learned to view with scepticism the statements of anyone who "happens to ... "

It's in the same category as "Frankly ... ", invariably followed by invented facts or manipulative "opinion".

Quick Reply: Using a Tuner wears out the engine faster?