Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a Tuner wears out the engine faster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:27 PM
Missionary

Default Using a Tuner wears out the engine faster?

Okay I feel stupid about asking this question but i thought i'd ask. If you tune your car lets say with Diablosport or SCT (common tuner companies for 2005+ Mustang) overtime does it wear out the engine components thus reducing the life of the car overall? or does tuning optimize the car efficiently for the better?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:33 PM
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Using a Tuner wears out the engine faster?

I'm no genius on this topic....but to me, it would seem that it's not so much the tune that affects the wear, but how you drive the car. Stock tune or 93 tune, if you drive it hard, then the engine and accessories will get more wear. I don't think that a tune would really hurt your "life expectancy" of your engine. But that's just me hypothesizing.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Missionary

I know tuners give power efficiently for a reason, but is there anybody from 2005 that tuned there engine right away and noticed any problems now with there engine? I just wonder if the components in the engine will just breakdown after a few years. I guess the way you drive has a big impact on engine wear.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:39 PM
speedstang06
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vphokie

I'm no genius on this topic....but to me, it would seem that it's not so much the tune that affects the wear, but how you drive the car. Stock tune or 93 tune, if you drive it hard, then the engine and accessories will get more wear. I don't think that a tune would really hurt your "life expectancy" of your engine. But that's just me hypothesizing.
+1

I'd say 90% of the s197 owners (on this forum)seem to tune their engines, so I would doubt that it hurts it, its all in the way you care for it/drive it.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:40 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

theres a guy here whos car has 110,000 miles on it his is tuned and he has had no issues yet, you tell me ....
Old 03-12-2008, 10:42 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

LOL funny post... a tuner will help the engine by correcting the air fuel ratio etc and give better gas mileage... The only wearing out is the fact that you'll drive it harder because its a faster car with a tuner.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Missionary

Okay I feel stupid about asking this question but i thought i'd ask. If you tune your car lets say with Diablosport or SCT (common tuner companies for 2005+ Mustang) overtime does it wear out the engine components thus reducing the life of the car overall? or does tuning optimize the car efficiently for the better?
The marginal gain SUBSTANTIALLY outweighs the marginal reduced lifespan of the engine components.

For example the engine would most likley acheive the same level of additional wear if you added an extra spare tire and made it lug 35 more lbs around for it's lifespan day in and day out.

I actually know the exact answer to your question on efficiency vs danger but I'm not going to give it because you don't need to know that as your post is a concern about tuners causing a negative faster engine wear, and the answer which addresses this then is tunes are never a bad thing.

You'll probably save 6 fold on gas from a tune versus the cost of extra maintenance at 150k miles.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

yes, without a doubt performance mods will wear out the engine faster. Maybe not by much, but it is all about the forces acting on things, the stresses etc. More of them = wearing out faster.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Missionary

hahaha sounds good, anybody else with insight?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Legion5
I actually know the exact answer to your question but I'm not going to give it because you don't need to know that as your post is a concern about tuners causing a negative faster engine wear, and the answer which addresses this then is tunes are never a bad thing.
You'll probably save 6 fold on gas from a tune versus the cost of extra maintenance at 150k miles.

Those are quite bold statements, and I happen to know they are wrong.

Quick Reply: Using a Tuner wears out the engine faster?