Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual transmission problem !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:40 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Manual transmission problem !!

Sounds to me more like the slip yoke. It is a common Ford issue and they have a TSB out on it on F150's. They just pulled the DS and lube it up good. Last for 12K miles or so. As you take off, the rearend flexes and allows the DS to come out of the tranny a little. This is binding and lets go all of a sudden.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:17 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: 99flhr

Every manual trans car I`ve ever had shifted more smoothly when warmed up.

No surprise there..
Bingo!
Here's the answer to that thread... 99flrh is right.
I'll just add that you might want to rev up the engine with a swift tap as you put it in gear (first or reverse).
The engine speed ease up the syncros a lttle.

Just enjoy your car OP.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:22 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

+1
Old 03-17-2008, 07:32 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pascal

ORIGINAL: 99flhr

Every manual trans car I`ve ever had shifted more smoothly when warmed up.

No surprise there..
Bingo!
Here's the answer to that thread... 99flrh is right.
I'll just add that you might want to rev up the engine with a swift tap as you put it in gear (first or reverse).
The engine speed ease up the syncros a lttle.

Just enjoy your car OP.
+2
Old 03-17-2008, 09:12 PM
SlickSlvr

Ok, I got it guys. I worry too freckin much. I guess what makes the tranny seem a little rough when it's cold is because it sooo smooth when warmed up!
Hell, my '98 T/A clunked in EVERY gear, even after warm-up...it just felt like this HUGE very heavy tranny (which it was, a t-56 is HUGE compared to these TR 3650's).
Only cars I have every owned that has a totally smooth tranny were Japanese-Honda etc. But I always figured those were so easy to shift because hey, they don't have to handle much power!
I'LL just enjoy the car, and as long as it don't getworse, not worry about it. I need to be easy on 'er when it's cold anyway.
Thanks to all for your replies
Old 03-17-2008, 09:54 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Ill add.... i'm a big worrier when it comes to cars!!! But even I can say that I calmly accept the clunkiness of this tranny, including in the morning. Once its warmed up it shifts fine... These cars aren't like the fancy german or british imports, or japan for that matter, they're just simple build american cars... Things clunk in them. You'll learn to love the simplicity of the mustang's build as you get to know it better. Its refreshing to study it, unlike weird imports where exhaust systems bend and have dips for no apparent reason, and engines face sideways and trannies mount on the side of the car, etc etc.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:54 PM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

mine only clunks when i dont shift easy, if i release the clutch a little bit slower through gear changes i dont get the clunks, i dont pay attention to it anymore though so maybe thats why i dont notice it as much.. plus i got mac boomtubes and you ear the exhaust over noises now. =)
Old 03-18-2008, 04:02 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

Just to chime in. I had the same problem too. In the morning when I start my car I let the rpms drop below 1k then shift it into reverse. Never had an issue even with -15f. The other thing I learned was that I have to shift a bit later when the trans is cold to eliminate the clunk.

I shift at around 2500 out of second and around 3k out of 3rd. After 1-2 miles then its back to my normal shift points. No clunking. However when the engine is cold dont acelerate harshly to get to 3k. Take it easy and she runs like butter. another reason japanse cars dont clunk however is because they use a shift by wire cable being fwd and also the gearbox is directly connected to the wheels, there is no driveshaft. BMW's clunk as well as jags. They all use trmec transmissions. Hell just about the only part of a bmw that lasts is the trans, and thats because its not made in germany, but thats a different story.

Another thing you guys seem to complain about is the two piece drive shaft. I agree its a menace and untill you got it figured out it will anoy you. However for daily driving that two pice driveshaft absorbs some of the negative energy that could otherwise harm your trans and clutch and even engine. The trick to it is keeping it always torqued when shifting. It will not clunk then at all.

Another thing to consider is that this is a muscle car, it has to make noise, thats the law and licence agreement ford signed when they built these things.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:44 AM
pnandy
2nd Gear Member

i have this problem to but my just recently it started sounding like it backfires on the first shift from first to second along with the clunking anyone else get this type on sound (i don't have any mods on my 07 gt/cs either) This inly happens on the first shift from a cold start doesn't happen when taking it out of reverse. (it just happens going from first to the neutral position) :-(