Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performance driving school

Old 04-17-2008, 02:06 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: performance driving school

ORIGINAL: BimmerTang

Gald my suggestions got some interest.

For those of you that might be in the Alabama area. I run out of Barber Motorsports park.
That's awesome bimmertang!
I've always wanted to run on Barber.
My friend and I took an SCCA school up in Huntsville and autocross up here in Twickingham Auto Club.

I've always wanted to run on a real road course though, sounds fun!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Smgfan1224
1st Gear Member

my friends keep telling me to take a performance class. they said that is probably the most fun that they have had. The school is http://www.skipbarber.com/
Old 04-17-2008, 04:37 PM
vf96
2nd Gear Member

WOW!!!!!!!! Anything in or near Wisconsin??? A DREAM COME TRUE!!
Old 04-17-2008, 05:31 PM
08GT

DO IT!! My car is a stock GT except for brakes and CAI/Tuner. Even with a stock car it's lot's of fun. First thing though, as someone mentioned above, upgrade your brakes. I ran at Laguna Seca before I even had plates on my car. I went home with boiled rear brake fluid and metal on metal with my pads. I currently have ATE Blue DOT4 racing fluid, Granatelli dimpled and slotted rotors, and EBC Yellow Stuff pads. This combination seems pretty good on the street and absolutely held up well last weekend at Thunderhill Raceway. Use your stock tires for now, you will learn a lot more going slow at first and learning the proper line around a track. After the first session or two with a good instructor who knows the track, your speeds will increase a lot.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:02 PM
tlpvt
2nd Gear Member

looks like thebmw car club of america http://www.bmwcca.org/index.phpis a very good place to start - it is"only" $175 for a day +$45 for their 1yrmembership and they have localchapters throughout the country and there is no cocky/immatureracing - just learning with an instructor.Unlike other places that pop out on google search, they actuallyhavealot ofdetailed information on their website (just killed 1hr at work reading 22 page pdf class manual) and it is not limited to bmw's (no convertibles/suv's though).
I think I am sold on this one [sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=gears.gif]
[sm=feedback.gif]
Old 04-17-2008, 06:44 PM
BimmerTang
1st Gear Member

vf96----Wisconsin guy...here ya go...Badger Bimmers runs a school and it looks like they run a BMW club race in conjunction with their school. That's really cool because you get to participate as a student and on Saturday or Sunday you can watch for an hour as the club racers old a race on the track.
That's a blast to watch especially when you've been in the class and on the track...you'll never look at another race the same way again.
Now you'll have an idea of what's going on in the car and who's driving well and who isn.t
Here is the link:
http://www.badgerbimmers.org/main/cat_index_6.shtml

tlpvt---You'll never look at a winding stretch of road the same way again if you go...please let me know if you end up going. Love to hear what you thought afterwards.
I know I'm biased as a long time BMW club member and officer but we really do run a professional school. Like I said, it's not all BMWs although there are a lot. You'll see 'vettes, a mustang or two, Civics, Porsches, Audis, etc.

Good luck to all

Old 04-17-2008, 07:13 PM
ndgoalie35
2nd Gear Member

Mom got me Bodurant Racing classes for my birthday last year... I highly recommend it.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:20 PM
vf96
2nd Gear Member

Got my birthday present from my wife!!!!About 4 months early but is it a GREAT ONE. She bought me a class with the Skip Barber Racing School.
3 hr. class then 1 hr. on the track at Road America in Elkhart lake Wi. In one of Their Cars!!!! Open Wheel Formula One. Big day July 24th. It'a a World Class Track. 4 miles long. Should hit speeds of 120mph + It's a scaled down version of corse. 200hp...1200lb car. Will POSITVELY post after my experiance!!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:12 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Lol, that brings back memories...
I took a week long class (I won it) in the snow back in the mid 80s.
It was in the French Alps...
Never thought you could go that fastin the snow (not me, the pros)[8D].
Talk about learning the lines, it's all about thelines all right,and putting the car sideways for breaking. YOU DO NOT TOUCH THE BRAKES!!
Every turns you are sideways. Man I could do this all day long. No snow in FL though.
At the time, I thought I was tough. I had 2 seasons of motorcycle road racing (amateur class) and being nowon 4 wheels, kinda put me at ease. WRONG!
As soon as I started the course, all my previous experience was irrelevant except for finding the right lines.
I was too slow at first... The instructor was bored and told me togo fasterin the turnsand put the damn thing sideways.
After I barely missed the snow banks in the begining, I got the hang of it and I was the second fastest studentby the end of the week.I was pumped, not ready to go back to dry land.
But all good things come to an end.

I never got to have fun in the snow again, except in upstate New York, but I sure know how to put a car sideways, in dry pavement too!

On a serious note, any class of driving you can take, will change your driving forever. In a positive way.
If you're a young pup, this will be wise and money well spent.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:10 PM
washburn085
2nd Gear Member

hmm, guess I will do the SCCA DC area driving school in October... unless there is a better one for the VA/DC area?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: performance driving school