Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performance driving school

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:30 PM
tlpvt
2nd Gear Member

Default performance driving school

Ifeel like the driver mod should the first one to do, so here is the question:
anybody here took a performance driving course, like http://www.faasst.com/
or other places? share your experiences!
do you see alot of stock/modestly modded cars at those events or is it all racing nuts with street illegal setups?
is it worth the few hundred$ for one day?
i have a stock/stick 07'GT
Old 04-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

Default RE: performance driving school

if you plan on doing road racing then the school can help but if you plan on drag racing I say screw the school and just go to your local track every weekend you will learn 10000x more than any school can teach you and get into the atmosphere quicker
Old 04-16-2008, 06:05 PM
tlpvt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ortoch

if you plan on doing road racing then the school can help but if you plan on drag racing I say screw the school and just go to your local track every weekend you will learn 10000x more than any school can teach you and get into the atmosphere quicker

more interested in road racing (going through the turns the right way, rev matching etc.)
Old 04-16-2008, 07:17 PM
BimmerTang
1st Gear Member

tlpvt---
You are wise beyond your years...
You are correct. The best mod you can do is start upgrading yourself. I've been an active member of the BMW car club of America for years and I've been a driving school participant and instructor.
I would highly suggest you go to one and try it out...it's better then any amusement park ride you've ever been on and you're learning at the same time that your enjoying the ride.
Whether it's a BMW CCA school, NASA, SCCA,CHINor any of a number of other organizations you go through, the skills you'll leave with will be invaluable.
Here's the way they run.
You sign up, you tell them what experience you have and they'll take care of it from there. Since you've never been you'll be in the novice run group. They match you with a qualified instructor (my first was a former Porsche race car driver with 20 years experience) and you'll start to learn the basics. How to drive the line, when to shift, braking, turn in, the apex, and a multitude of other terms you'll learn.
I can't recommend them enough...you'll be smiling all weekend.
In answer to your question, the cars that show up are usually a mixed bag. It doesn't matter if your in a Corvette Z06 or a Jetta. You all have to learn the same basics. NASA runs good events. Safe, well run, you'll learn a lot...best money you'll ever spend.
I thought I was a good driver and didn't attend my first one until I was 35 years old. I was a terrible driver when you see what a real expert can do with a car. My first Driving school was in a '99 BMW 323i (170 hp). In the novice group my former Porsche racer took my car in the first session to show me the line and he was passing Porsches, Mustangs, Corvettes with twice my HP like they were staning still. Why?
He knew how to drive "the line", brake, turn in, carry speed through a curve, exit...it was great. Over the years I've gotten better and better and now I get to show the new guys what to do. It's a blast and you won't be the only "new" guy there. Don't worry about it...I was nervous but everyone was so friendly I was hooked.
I'm sorry to go on but I can't say what a great experience it is to drive your car at speed on a road course and feel what you and the car are really capable of doing. If you notice my picture...that's my '07 Mustang on the track last April. I was running in the solo group and had a blast but boy did I put a suspension on my car afterwards. The stock suspension made me feel like I was running the track with a lift kit- ha ha
Good luck and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.
J.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:49 PM
tlpvt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BimmerTang

tlpvt---
You are wise beyond your years...
You are correct. The best mod you can do is start upgrading yourself. I've been an active member of the BMW car club of America for years and I've been a driving school participant and instructor.
I would highly suggest you go to one and try it out...it's better then any amusement park ride you've ever been on and you're learning at the same time that your enjoying the ride.
Whether it's a BMW CCA school, NASA, SCCA,CHINor any of a number of other organizations you go through, the skills you'll leave with will be invaluable.
Here's the way they run.
You sign up, you tell them what experience you have and they'll take care of it from there. Since you've never been you'll be in the novice run group. They match you with a qualified instructor (my first was a former Porsche race car driver with 20 years experience) and you'll start to learn the basics. How to drive the line, when to shift, braking, turn in, the apex, and a multitude of other terms you'll learn.
I can't recommend them enough...you'll be smiling all weekend.
In answer to your question, the cars that show up are usually a mixed bag. It doesn't matter if your in a Corvette Z06 or a Jetta. You all have to learn the same basics. NASA runs good events. Safe, well run, you'll learn a lot...best money you'll ever spend.
I thought I was a good driver and didn't attend my first one until I was 35 years old. I was a terrible driver when you see what a real expert can do with a car. My first Driving school was in a '99 BMW 323i (170 hp). In the novice group my former Porsche racer took my car in the first session to show me the line and he was passing Porsches, Mustangs, Corvettes with twice my HP like they were staning still. Why?
He knew how to drive "the line", brake, turn in, carry speed through a curve, exit...it was great. Over the years I've gotten better and better and now I get to show the new guys what to do. It's a blast and you won't be the only "new" guy there. Don't worry about it...I was nervous but everyone was so friendly I was hooked.
I'm sorry to go on but I can't say what a great experience it is to drive your car at speed on a road course and feel what you and the car are really capable of doing. If you notice my picture...that's my '07 Mustang on the track last April. I was running in the solo group and had a blast but boy did I put a suspension on my car afterwards. The stock suspension made me feel like I was running the track with a lift kit- ha ha
Good luck and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.
J.
bimmertang - thanks for a very informative reply.
looking forward to takea course!
Old 04-17-2008, 01:15 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

Very nice response. Makes me wanna attend too. [sm=bounceybounce.gif]
Old 04-17-2008, 01:19 PM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

i've been dying to take a course like this one of these days - does anyone know what's in the jersey area?
Old 04-17-2008, 01:41 PM
BimmerTang
1st Gear Member

Gald my suggestions got some interest.

New Jersey guy...here is a link to our BMWchapter in New Jersey.
http://www.njbmwcca.org/event_info/driver_school.php
This will take you right to their driving school page. It looks like they use 3 different tracks in the general area of New Jersey, New York and West Virginia.
Lots of good info on this page.

For those of you that might be in the Alabama area. I run out of Barber Motorsports park.
If you've always thought about doing a schoolbut aren't totally sold on the idea...here is a suggestion.
We have our annual school this Memorial Day Weekend. If you want to come out and watch, let me know.
I'd be happy to arrange a vist for you in the pits. Just send me a pm and we'll chat.
By the way, we have a guy that brings out one of the meanest Fox body Saleens with a Windsor that just eats this road course like it's candy! A sight to behold!

Lots of luck and I'd love to hear from anyone that ends up signing up for a track day. You won't be able to stop talking about it, believe me!
J
Old 04-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

I went to the Panoz School at Road Atlanta. It was lots of fun. The Panoz/Ford Spec Racers with the Ford Crate Engines were fast enough to carry some serious speed with their light weight (by street car standards) and big torq. Yet they where mild mannered enough to keep a beginner out of trouble if he didnt do something really stupid.

Great way to spend 3 days and worth every penny. I believe they have been purchased by someone else now.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

2007 Mustang GT:

Real Brake Pads, Hi Temp Fluid, Front Air Ducts, Track Wheels (can be scuffed up used stockers) tires that wont chunk (should be able to get them with lots of life left from World Challenge guys).

Trust me its cheaper in the long run.....

Quick Reply: performance driving school