Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can cause our mustangs to shut off while driving???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Mustangansta
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What can cause our mustangs to shut off while driving???

didnt read the full post but did anyone mention the inertia switch? - happened to me - hit the switch and started right up - never had an issue again *knock on wood * ifyou hit a bump hard enough - - fuel cuts off - thinks its in a accident - safety feature -
Old 04-18-2008, 07:52 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: michaellefebvre

ford must have contracted microsoft
Actually, Iyou may beright - I know some other makes run Windows CE as the OS for the in-car network.. either way, the increased complexity of the electricals make us susceptible to more gremlins..

Heck, I've had a couple of times where I go to start the car and it just goes dead mid-crank. Pull the key and try it again and all is well (I think the reason when it does you have to cycle the clutch pedal and partially remove and replace the key is some startup sequence that has to be initialized).

But why? Radio interference when the car was reading the key? There is a possible DTC for an incomplete read.. Maybe my foot shifted and the clutch safety switch got interrupted? Who knows.. maybe sometimes the thing just needs a reboot like any other PC..

But I'm babbling - now the ones who describe cutting out or sputtering for a bit - that's probably fuel starvation. But completely crapping out - electricals too - while moving? Ack! First thing I'd do is wipe and reload the tune, and check for DTCs while you're at it. Look for any loose connections in the engine bay or anywhere else you may have messed around with.. you get the idea.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustangansta

didnt read the full post but did anyone mention the inertia switch? - happened to me - hit the switch and started right up - never had an issue again *knock on wood * ifyou hit a bump hard enough - - fuel cuts off - thinks its in a accident - safety feature -
thats the first thing I thought of when i saw the thread...but he said it started right back up so thats not it.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:42 PM
michaellefebvre

what i was reading was over my head, can-bus/obd II systems.
but the point was that a situation can happen where one of the components fails
to communicate properly on the can-bus and this could cause the whole
system to stop function, BSOD for cars
Old 04-19-2008, 08:32 AM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

so in english, this just randomly happened and probably wont happen again?
Old 04-19-2008, 02:00 PM
2006pony

I had this problem with another of my vehicles and it turned out to be the multi airflow (MAF) sensor. My dealer replaced it under warrenty and this problem did not re-occur.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:29 PM
michaellefebvre

this looks like one ofthe pages i was reading, but there was another that i havnt found yet

http://www.bba-reman.com/canbus.htm

"One of the outstanding features of Can is the reliability and error detection. The Can controller will register a nodes error and evaluates it to provide necessary errors. One problem with this however is that if one node fails, the whole network can fail. This is another reason for putting Power System and Body Control Modules on a separate network. If your electric window control module fails you still want your car to start! "
Old 04-21-2008, 09:56 PM
JV2944
1st Gear Member

Its pretty amazing that I came on this thread...

I have the autostart. Basically, you push the button to start the car from a distance, and when you get in, you insert the key, go 2 clicks, and hit the brake. I noticed the other day that when turning off the car, the slightest turn back shut the engine. I mean, had I even hit a bump, it probably would have shut off. So, now I am careful to make that second click nice and hard. I don'tknow if I am making sense, but its reall important to not go soft on that second click, or the key will be on the brinkof shutoff. To mitigate the potential problem, I took all my keychains off and now its just the ignition key and remote.

It was your autostart.