Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My CAT problem and the final solution(s)...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:30 PM
captainxanax
1st Gear Member

Default My CAT problem and the final solution(s)...

Hey all.

I greatly appreciate all the input and suggestions I got from members of this forum. What did not get answered or was not addressed, I found answers through searching.

Basically, I was keeping my 'stang stock for many reasons... I won't step into that bubble gum.

Anyway, for those not familiar, I took a rock strike on my right side CAT awhile back. Found during a Ford Service visit. Ford Service quoted me 1900 part (1 CAT) and 2200 installed. On top of being educated enough to know something stinks here... Service told me I had '3' CATS on my car. Yep.

This forum is very, very helpful and consists of GREAT members. Even though I was not going to 'mod' my car right now, I did for a long time read these forums daily after I bought my car and was learning.

Turns out Service is about 1700 on the part per another member. I knew we don't have three CATS. What I did not know where all the details, shops, parts to the exhaust system. I was keeping the 'stang stock...

Well, here it is, the final setup (for-now), AND I would like to say THANK YOU to all the people that have answered my questions, confirmed answers, gave suggestions, and links.

I took the car to a local shop and had the CATs removed and replaced with stock pipe. Regular o2 sensors are all in place. It's been about 15 starts minimum and over 50 miles driven; no engine light on yet. Total for the shop was $120. I kept both CATS. That price may seem high, but I asked them to drop both mufflers, and blow out the 2.5" stock piping for me. I also asked that the one muffler in particular be shook and shaken to see if any material was inside and to see if any would come out. The mech told me that the pipe was blown, and looked clean. He also told me that most of the 'material' was in the CAT, very little in the exhaust. A little did come out of the exhaust. All looked good. Prior to having this done, I had people tell me that no CATs would have little effect on the sound. As I walked in the shop, the mech came out and said, "yeah, we (3 employees) were all kinda surprised at how loud the car got!"

It is loud. It sounds damn good indeed. In fact, not anybody dislikes it, and with windows up, cabin sound is better. Fault: It is kinda stinky at times (garage) or just at idle... Not with windows closed. I imagine a motorcycle behind during a drive would find smell also? To anyone out there, is a stock/after market h-or-x pipe (NO CATS) smell this way? People are telling me to have it 'sniffed', should I, for hydrocarbons? What should I expect? Do the front o2 sensors deal with the rich/lean problems? What exactly do the rear o2 sensors do? Thanks.

What I learned about the exhaust is that the flow from the headers to the exhaust is just about as good as it can get. Now, to go with an x-pipe or such will get you just a 'tad' more power over the stock h-pipe setup. Furthermore, I was told that until you supercharge or do a major upgrade to the engine, the 2.5" pipe underneath is very adequate.

Just to make it obnoxiously loud, or just to try it, I ordered SLP Loudmouths for my exhaust set up. I figured that the stock exhaust may have damaged, looks like I got a back-up if I don't like the Loudmouths. What the heck I say!

I will keep my current h-pipe setup. One of the reasons I did not go with a catted or x-pipe is because I want that to be done with my headers. I don't think it would matter THAT much, but I just figured... 500 this way, or 600 that way....

So, I got my CAI/Tune coming from Brenspeed. THANK YOU DAVE & SETH for the final answers/help.

I decided to get MIL Eliminators even though I got a tune. The reason being, I want to be able to re-flash my car to stock and remove the CAI and take it to Ford Service if ness. If Sevice was to give me **** about the no CATs, I would write a few letters about them. I would change out to a hiflow catted system and take it to the valley (PHX).

Both Dave & another tech at Brenspeed thought the MIL addition was wise once I explained my computer situation. My computer has thrown out a few check engines in the last 3-4 months.

So, I placed an order for the C&L 'racer' 95mm intake with the SCT2.

I think the no-cats has increase something. I live at 7000' and believe the car has a stronger pull. It is a DD, so certain situations seem slightly faster. I don't think it's the 'sound'. Could I have gained a little power from CAT removal alone?

As a final addition, summer coming and all, I decided to try out the Steeda UD Pulleys. I don't need much a/c here, but I figured, what the heck? Is there an accessory loss?

Final mods (FIRST) mods:
No Cats - stock h-pipe with patched pipe
MIL Eliminators
SLP Loudmouths
C&L 'racer' intake
87, 91, 93 tunes from Brenspeed
Steeda UD Pulleys

Fords part 'price' ~1900 'service' ~2200. "better call your insurance" is the first thing the Service sealership told me...

WTF are the executives at Service thinking???

thanks again everyone. It's like a killer car now, and going to blow my mind in about a week!

Patrick
Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: My CAT problem and the final solution(s)...

the LMs will make that MUCH louder by the way......
Old 04-17-2008, 07:56 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Thats the common smell of running with no cats. Be ready to have windows up at stoplights if it bothers you. It is damn loud once you run just the o/r h after you take the mufflers off.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:38 PM
captainxanax
1st Gear Member

thanks. The smell doesn't bother me....

I know to shut it off if pulled now tho....

Also, thanks to the "heads up" from members that suggested that if a law officer is spotted, off throttle. Help once already.

Patrick
Old 04-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Front O2 sensors are used by the ECU to adjust the air fuel ratio - they are important.
Rear O2 sensors are for emissions purposes - to compare O2 levels before and after the CATs - they are not important for running the car and can be turned off (as your tune will do).
Old 04-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

I dont think you will like the Loud Mouths with no CATS. The car will be NASCAR loud.
Their is a video onUtube of something like "Really loud Mustang".
It soundsgreat in the video but its in an industrial area.
When he shuts it off you can hear the car alarms gong off in a residential area about 1 mi away.