Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling to the right when mash on brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:36 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Pulling to the right when mash on brakes?

project renegade.. thank you for the reply, (and everyone else).. i am going to check tire pressure today..

but project, i have a question for you.. if i go with new drilled/slotted rotors, and hawk pads all the way around or even just up front, will i notice a difference in braking overall?.. i have heard also that if you change the brake lines or fluid you can get a difference..

i hate these brakes, they are sooo mushy.. my brother in law's new 5.7 toyota tundra stops better than my car.. the brake on that thing are amazing.. barely press the thing and it stops on a dime.. how can i achieve this with out spending $2,000!?!??!

thanks
Old 05-06-2008, 02:21 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

MINE WAS DOING THAT AND WHEN I CHANGED THE BRAKEPADS IT STOPPED....HAD ME WORRIED A SEC THOUGH.. damn...sorry about the caps...work comp
You know the backspace key?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:24 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: Project Renegade

hi im a mechanic, and i see this all the time. its because of the latreral runout of your rotors. if you take the rotor off and look at it from the side, (depending on how severe it is) you might actually see that the rotor isnt perfectly parallel with it's other side, (which it should be) to correct this problem you need to either 1) get a whole brake job done (new rotors and pads) or 2) machine your rotors and get new pads. either way you deffinately need new pads.

glad to be of service
This "lateral runout" is checked with a micrometer for parallel rotor thickness
or with a dial indicator and a magnetic holder? Lateral runout sounds like they
are not true to the rotational axis, not different thicknesses around the rotor.
Please explain lateral runout once again for us dummies.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:26 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

Is your car lowered? If it is, was it realigned after lowering? Mine used to "bump steer" and pull a little to the left or right after lowering and mashing the brakes. I had it realigned Friday with almost 0 degress negative camber, and it seems the bump steering and pulling has gone away.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:56 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: rojizostang

Is your car lowered? If it is, was it realigned after lowering? Mine used to "bump steer" and pull a little to the left or right after lowering and mashing the brakes. I had it realigned Friday with almost 0 degress negative camber, and it seems the bump steering and pulling has gone away.
Its kinda hard to get rid of Bump Steer by just an alignment alone.
The geometry of the tie rods and the steering rack have changed
from lowering and a Bump Steer Kit would be needed to eliminate
Bump Steer.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:10 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

ORIGINAL: rojizostang

Its kinda hard to get rid of Bump Steer by just an alignment alone.
The geometry of the tie rods and the steering rack have changed
from lowering and a Bump Steer Kit would be needed to eliminate
Bump Steer.
okay, i've always assumed bump steer was when your car "followed" grooves or imperfections in the road surface, perhaps not. the only time the (my) car would move one way or the other was when firmly braking over road surfaces that have been damaged in some way(and only very occasionally)..for example it would seem to always do it at the same intersections where the pavement is heavily worn or indented, not anything like when applying the brakes every time...thanks for the education. after having the alignment done last week this problem seems to have been eliminated. that's why i asked if the car had been lowered....perhaps what i'm describing isn't bump steer....but whatever you call it, it doesn't seem to do it anymore.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:25 PM
red stangguy
1st Gear Member

Caliper sticking or bad brake line to the caliper. This was happening to me on one of my work trucks it turned out to be bad brake line to the caliper.