Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.10s

Old 06-24-2008, 11:06 PM
GT/SRT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 4.10s

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

I wish I could trade you - your 3.55s for my 4.10s. In a day to day scenario I like them alot but in highly aggressive driving I'm constantly bouncing off the rev limiter, not enough "top end" in gears 2-4. 5th gear is pretty much an overdrive and thus useless on a road course. Right now in 4th gear I hit the rev limiter at around 100-105MPH, which is too slow on most road courses.

I have stock 3.55 gears if you'd like them.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:24 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT/SRT

ORIGINAL: JimsGT

I have an '06 GT automatic, and I went 3.73's 2 weeks ago. I happy, but I was not as dramatic as some people described. I only lost about 200 RPM's,(tach-ing 2600 RPM @ 80 MPH now, used to tach 2,400 RPM @ 80 MPH) and according to my dash readout, I lost .3 mpg's! (for what thats worth) same kind of driving, highway cruising. It definitely made a difference, you don't have to go into the gas pedal as much for the same amount of acceleration, but I'm thinking maybe I should've went with 4.10's, then again I'm mostly highway driving with minimal track time so I can live with it.

BTW No gear whine at all, at any speed thanks to a good install (thanks Alfredo! Valley Performance) Gears will NOT whine if installed properly.
False.

For anybody looking for 4.10's they may whine. If they're done right they won't be loud but they may still whine. Not all will...but to say that flat out they won't if installed properly is just not accurate.

BUT...don't let a little gear whine stop you [if it even happens]. A little while is worth it for what 4.10s will do. I have 4.10's and will NEVER go backwards!
Beleieve whatever makes you happy...
Old 06-25-2008, 04:49 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Mine whine a little so did the 3.55s'
Old 06-25-2008, 06:08 AM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Mine whine just a bit. Initially it was a whine in 5th gear only when the car was coasting down around 1.5-2k. Now it's barely noticeable but still whines a little bit. The guy who did mine has been working on drag cars for the last 20 years so he knows what he's doing. A little gear whine is the price you may have to pay for having a quick as $%@ mustang
Old 06-25-2008, 07:25 AM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

I'm reading about you guys with 4.10's, 3.55's and 3.73's makes me jealous.

I'm suffering with my 3.31 gears and a manual on my new '07 GT. I have to wait until xmas for 4.10's, I expect the difference to be MAJOR. I spend 90% of my time 60mph or below (not all in the city actually), so 4.10's should make all the difference.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I went from stock 3.55's to 4.10's and do notice that I slow down on the highway to keep the rpms reasonable in 5th gear.

Second and third gear are so much more fun. Vroom, vroom.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:16 AM
GT/SRT
3rd Gear Member

I have an '06 GT automatic, and I went 3.73's 2 weeks ago. I happy, but I was not as dramatic as some people described. I only lost about 200 RPM's,(tach-ing 2600 RPM @ 80 MPH now, used to tach 2,400 RPM @ 80 MPH) and according to my dash readout, I lost .3 mpg's! (for what thats worth) same kind of driving, highway cruising. It definitely made a difference, you don't have to go into the gas pedal as much for the same amount of acceleration, but I'm thinking maybe I should've went with 4.10's, then again I'm mostly highway driving with minimal track time so I can live with it.

BTW No gear whine at all, at any speed thanks to a good install (thanks Alfredo! Valley Performance) Gears will NOT whine if installed properly.
False.

For anybody looking for 4.10's they may whine. If they're done right they won't be loud but they may still whine. Not all will...but to say that flat out they won't if installed properly is just not accurate.

BUT...don't let a little gear whine stop you [if it even happens]. A little while is worth it for what 4.10s will do. I have 4.10's and will NEVER go backwards!
It's not about beleiving what makes someone happy.

I'm not saying that ALL gears will whine. However, I am saying that the all encompassing statement about gears not EVER whining if they are properly installed is false. Not what I believe, it's just not a correct statement.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:39 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

False.

I'm not saying that ALL gears will whine. However, I am saying that the all encompassing statement about gears not EVER whining if they are properly installed is false. Not what I believe, it's just not a correct statement.
I know you said not ALL gears, you said 4.10's. Why are 4.10's different from other gears? (Other than the fact thier ratio is different) Do 3.31's vs 3.55's whine, or or do 4.88's? etc, etc. Unless they were machined (cut) from the manufacturer improperly (which was the case with Motives 2 years ago), they should not make a noise at all. Either thats the case, or more commonly, its an improper install. This kind of stuff gets perpetuated then. Its the install, 9 times out of 10. Not trying to be a jerk here, just stating truth.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:46 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Well my 4.10s stopped whining today Just had to finish breaking em in. Oh and I got up to 140 with 4k to spare today...
Old 06-25-2008, 10:25 PM
GT/SRT
3rd Gear Member

False.

I know you said not ALL gears, you said 4.10's. Why are 4.10's different from other gears? (Other than the fact thier ratio is different) Do 3.31's vs 3.55's whine, or or do 4.88's? etc, etc. Unless they were machined (cut) from the manufacturer improperly (which was the case with Motives 2 years ago), they should not make a noise at all. Either thats the case, or more commonly, its an improper install. This kind of stuff gets perpetuated then. Its the install, 9 times out of 10. Not trying to be a jerk here, just stating truth.
I'm not saying you're a jerk.

What I'm saying is that it can be possible for gears to be installed correctly and they whine a bit...even if they're good gears.

Not loud or obnoxious, but they can still whine from time to time even with perfect installation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.10s