Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Push button start

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 03:23 PM
str8wick3d
3rd Gear Member

Smile

Yes you still have to press the clutch. And I have to tell you despite all these people saying its a waste, and complaining about an extra step..... They are just to chicken to try to install it... I have the s2000 starter button and it looks amazing and fits right in.. Everyone loves it, it really is the "cool factor". Only complaint is I wish the light on the button glowed a bit more.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:48 PM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

INTERESTING to read all these opinions.. guess it's true that, like an oft-mentioned part of the anatomy, everyone's got one!

Personally, if I saw someone insert & turn their key and THEN reach over to push the start button, I'd be thinking "this person has more dollars than sense".. just idiotic to think it's somehow "cool"!

What I'D prefer is to disable the alarm bell that tells you the key is in the ignition & just LEAVE my key in it! I mean, you NEVER use the key in the door.. I just "pop" it with the FOB.. & I hate having a whole RING of keys hanging there!

That way I could just I get in my 'stang & turn the already inserted key as if it were... (Drumroll please) A START BUTTON! WOO HOO!
Old 11-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Seabee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Murphdog
Here is my question to those who have the push button start....

If you still have to put the key in the ignition and turn it, why have the push button start installed in the first place? In the example installs that I have seen, this is the case. Is there one out there that is not installed by a auto manufacturer that doesn't require this

This seems to be a lot like a engine dress up kit, useless.

I have an 08 nissan altima and it has a puch button start. i keep my key piece in my pocket and i can lock and unlock the car and start the car, open trunk and pretty much everything without ever taking the key out my pocket. and its just a $23000 car...i like it and it would be nice to have that system in the stang but ill live.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Does the GT push start button light up more? Where can I get the honda one from?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:30 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Pushbutton start in road cars is nothing new or exotic; it's way older than "rice". Some plain old car that I can't even remember what year or make that a bunch of us used to drive around a field had to be started that way. About the only difference was the start button on that car was a little chrome thing smaller than a dime instead of some large plasticky thing. Near as I can tell, it simplified the wiring, and the key switch didn't need to have as many different positions. It was either on or off, since there was no 'accessory' position in cars of that time.

Norm
Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

I am waiting on someone to come out with a kit like the Aston Martin Vantage crystal starter button...

It glows white when you get in the car and turns red once the car has started. The button then becomes a stop button. Pretty cool...

It would look great with a running horse or the GT emblem in the middle of the button.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:05 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Pushbutton start in road cars is nothing new or exotic; it's way older than "rice". Some plain old car that I can't even remember what year or make that a bunch of us used to drive around a field had to be started that way. About the only difference was the start button on that car was a little chrome thing smaller than a dime instead of some large plasticky thing. Near as I can tell, it simplified the wiring, and the key switch didn't need to have as many different positions. It was either on or off, since there was no 'accessory' position in cars of that time.

Norm
Actually, in the old days, everything was like that...
In fact, you didn't even need a key, just turn a lever (like race cars) to the right or up whatever, and push start with another button.
Too easy to steal though...
Old 01-07-2009, 11:30 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Texotic
that would be really cool. i'd be kind of worried about hitting it while shifting though.
The PCM knows the engine is running and would not allow the starter to
engage while its running. Go ahead, try it. Start her like normal, then turn
the key to start once again. No starter engagement. The start request
runs thru the PCM and the PCM in turn engages the starter. The PCM is
smart enough to not engage the starter while the engine is running.

Originally Posted by TheB1GDude
I read through most of this but all of haters complaining about what a waste of cash this was kinda distracted me from the answer I was looking for.... I understand that you can put the key in and press the button or just turn the key all the way but my question is on the manual trans do you still have to dip the clutch to get it to start via the button?
Yes, the PCM is still looking for all the needed requirements
to start. You are just basically paralleling the start contacts
in the ignition switch. You still need a PATS encoded key, the
ignition in the RUN position and the clutch depressed or in P/N
for an Automatic tranny.

Originally Posted by iROK24/7
What I'D prefer is to disable the alarm bell that tells you the key is in the ignition & just LEAVE my key in it! I mean, you NEVER use the key in the door.. I just "pop" it with the FOB.. & I hate having a whole RING of keys hanging there!

That way I could just I get in my 'stang & turn the already inserted key as if it were... (Drumroll please) A START BUTTON! WOO HOO!
Interesting....
And so would a thief after slim jimming your door or just breaking
a window. That way he could just get in and turn the PATS encoded
key you conviently left for him and (Drumroll please) DRIVE AWAY!
WOO HOO!

Last edited by 157dB; 01-10-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:08 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iROK24/7
INTERESTING to read all these opinions.. guess it's true that, like an oft-mentioned part of the anatomy, everyone's got one!

Personally, if I saw someone insert & turn their key and THEN reach over to push the start button, I'd be thinking "this person has more dollars than sense".. just idiotic to think it's somehow "cool"!

Now this is a pretty solid idea. Only problem is, it's a free steal. If someone sees the key in the ignition, then you are screwed.

I kind of like the start button though. Just a novelty thing. I would never do it, however, if I couldn't start the car normally, by turning the key...
Old 01-08-2009, 05:59 AM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

I didn't read all 10 pages, so maybe it's been said....

I want a setup like available in my friends Nissan Altima. Key fob in pocket, car unlocks upon approach, and since when you get in the fob is within range, you push a button to start the car.

That's cool and convenient!