Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mcguire's scratch x

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 08:27 PM
ghandi

Default mcguire's scratch x

I just bought this stuff to use on my trunk where there is a scratch and it didn't work.

I dont know if im doing it wrong but the scratch isnt even deep it shows some white but thas about it i went over it with my finger and its a surface scratch.

It says on the bottle to apply a little bit and rub in and thats what i did also it says let it dry before you wipe it..
How long am i supposed to wait until i wipe it off and how hard am i supposed to rub it in and how long should i rub it for? yes im new to this stuff ahahah any help would be great! thx,
Old 07-12-2008, 09:15 PM
fullboogie
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: mcguire's scratch x

I used it many times on my black Lightning with a porter cable on the low setting and it worked great. You may not get the results you want with hand rubbing. Scratch X is a very mild abrasive, so don't be afraid to really get after it.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:58 PM
crazyray78

This stuff does work for small scratches, but buy a buffer!! You'll be working on it forever by hand.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Remember that this product is for LIGHT scratches. If you are seeing white, odds are it won't do the job.
But I actually have talked to the guy that hosts the "how to" videos of meguires.
He told me sometimes it takes up to three applications. I tried it and no luck with a scratch with white showing.
I actually ended up going to a shop where they showed me how to use touch up paint. I did it myself and it looks ALOT better.
But it was on the bumper. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself on any other part of the car for risks sake but you can always take it to a shop, show um some cash, and ask them to put some touch up on it for ya.

Bottom line anyways, Meguires Scratch X= for light scratches only, but does work better with a porter cable.

P.S. don't go and buy any buffer, you gotta make sure it's a porter cable or a Meguires buffer or else you are really risking burning that
clear coat right off your paint job because of the heat that most of them generate.
If you are'nt experienced with a buffer, DO NOT use one yourself unless you buy one of those, and even then it is a good idea to practice
on other surfaces before taking it to you car.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:48 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iluvmycar

Remember that this product is for LIGHT scratches. If you are seeing white, odds are it won't do the job.
But I actually have talked to the guy that hosts the "how to" videos of meguires.
He told me sometimes it takes up to three applications. I tried it and no luck with a scratch with white showing.
I actually ended up going to a shop where they showed me how to use touch up paint. I did it myself and it looks ALOT better.
But it was on the bumper. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself on any other part of the car for risks sake but you can always take it to a shop, show um some cash, and ask them to put some touch up on it for ya.

Bottom line anyways, Meguires Scratch X= for light scratches only, but does work better with a porter cable.

P.S. don't go and buy any buffer, you gotta make sure it's a porter cable or a Meguires buffer or else you are really risking burning that
clear coat right off your paint job because of the heat that most of them generate.
If you are'nt experienced with a buffer, DO NOT use one yourself unless you buy one of those, and even then it is a good idea to practice
on other surfaces before taking it to you car.
+1 porter-cable FTW
Old 07-13-2008, 08:24 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Try some Turtle Wax Polishing Compound & Scratch Remover. It's a bit more abrasive, but it takes out most scratches in about 10-15 seconds. Just don't rub it in for any length of time. Make sure you get the stuff in the green one. The red stuff is a lot more abrasive, and if you accidentally use that, you can say goodbye to your clear coat. That's rubbing compound.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:02 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: mcguire'

I have used teh Quixx kit with great results for some light scratches...it involves wet sanding which is not for the weak hearted....
Old 07-18-2008, 03:54 PM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

+1 I can attest to this. I used the same turlte wax polishing compound on some mild and moderate scratches on my wife's black van. i then applied meguiars 'cleaner wax'. result was very good. I can't say showroom/show quality good, but pretty good and I did not have to go hard with the polisher.

noticed I tested in on the van first
Old 07-18-2008, 04:08 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

SCRATCH-X works great. Ive used it by hand and you got to put a bit of elbow-grease into it. Otherwise it wont come off. If oyu have any questions or just want a great resource go to www.meguiarsonline.com and ask any questions you have there.