Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Time

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Change Time

Interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil#Grades
Many new vehicles are marked to use 5W-20 oil (Honda, Ford, and more recently Toyota) which is not much thinner than a 30W oil. Nay-sayers of 20W oil's ability to protect engines should note that typically, 30W oils shear down into the 20W range anyway. Most engine wear is during start-up and warm-up period, where the thinner 20W oil's flow is desirable. Overall, lab test results of the wear metals contained in used oil samples show low or lower wear with 20W than 30 in applications it is specified for.
This could be true. W/regard to androdz experience has he done an analysis with 5W-30 oil in his engine under the same operating conditions? It's possible the results might not be much better than he got with the 5W-20.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Even in all my ramblings...I am not saying that Amsoil is a bad product...I personally think they make good oil. It is the sleazy marketing and lack of backing that I have a problem with. If they quit trying to snake their way through the system and quit making false claims, maybe people would take them seriously.

There is just no way you can go wrong with any major manufacturer's synthetic oil. I will say that Mobil 1 is the benchmark by which all are judged. You can get it anywhere, it is priced well and has a long and proven track record. Moreover, it is API certified.

Here you go. Notice they are ACTUALLY approved:

for 6ers http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_5W-30.aspx

for 8ers http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_5W-20.aspx

Again...not trying to sling an oil (and no, I dont work for Exxon Mobil). I believe that there are excellent shelf oils...heck Wal-Mart's "Supertech" is API certified (SM I believe) and is a full PAO. The oil is made by one of the big brand oil producers under a special contract for Wal-Mart. Do I use it? No...but I have a loyalty to Mobil. Is it safe to use? Sure. If gas goes up, I will cut costs a bit more and switch to Supertech.

I am out...sorry again to the OP. My only intent was to keep forum members informed however "load of crap" or "misinformationed" my experience may seem to one member (that more than likely is an Amsoil dealer...though I could be wrong).

Old 07-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Motorcraft 5W-20 fully synth is $6.61/quart at my dealer. Just FYI.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have total faith in Amsoil's products. But that's MY decision.

To the OP, ANY decent brand of synthetic blend or full syn is fine along with a good oil filter. My suggestions are Amsoil, Mobil1 and Motorcraft for full synthetics. Have fun!
Old 07-23-2008, 11:52 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

I hope its not the first oil change
Old 07-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Lt. Frank Bullitt
1st Gear Member

I will stick with Mobil 1 and a Motorcraft filter. If Mobil 1 is trusted enough for GM to use as Factory Fill on their top of the line Corvettes, its good enough for me.

Just wanted to add...

Mobil 1 is factory fill in:
[ul][*]Acura RDX[*]Aston Martin[*]All Bentley Vehicles[*]All Cadillac Vehicles[*]Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06[*]Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS[*]Chrysler 300C SRT-8[*]Cobalt SS S/C Coupe[*]Dodge Caliber SRT-4, Charger SRT-8, and Magnum SRT-8[*]Jeep Cherokee SRT-8[*]Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles[*]Mercedes SLR[*]Mitsubishi Evolution[*]Pontiac Solstice GXP[*]All Porsche Vehicles[*]Saturn Ion Red Line and Saturn Sky Red Line[*]Viper SRT-10[/ul]
I wonder if RP, Redline or Amsoil can put up a list like that?

Old 07-23-2008, 12:12 PM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

If Amsoil can't back it up, what's the point of using it? Why take the chance?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Lt. Frank Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Come to think of it... I will be putting Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in my tranny this coming weekend too.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Krazyray
1st Gear Member

I think that andrew guy is a amsoil rep for sure. Im thinking of going with rp or mobil 1 on first oil change
Old 07-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

OK this might be a stupid question.

If I use motorcraft fully synth 5W-20 do I use the same filter that the dealer used with the semi-synth blend 5W-20?

Quick Reply: Oil Change Time