Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CLEANING CAI

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:06 AM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

Default CLEANING CAI

quick question:

how often should I clean the filter on my CAI?
and what should i use to clean it? just a good rinse and scrubwith water?

i have the tunable induction demolet intake

thanks,
will
Old 07-25-2008, 10:41 AM
joemagna
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: CLEANING CAI

I just buy a new filter when the old one starts to look dirty.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:00 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Buying a new filter is a waste of money. Go to Autozone or wherever and buy a K&N cleaning kit. You just spray the cleaner on your CAI, then blast it with your water hose until it looks nice and clean. Set it in the sun for the day, until its good and dry, then use the spray oil that came in the cleaning kit to give it a nice light coat, then put it back on the car. I do mine whenever it gets to looking good and gross. The last few times I've cleaned it, i've gotten a .5 mpg boost. When my mileage drops I kinda know its about time for a cleaning.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:47 AM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

+1 you spelled it out!
Old 07-25-2008, 11:51 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Most CAI filters last 50,000 miles.
Whatever you do, dont use any compressed air to clean it.
I use a pair of pantyhose as a pre-filter to catch all the bugs.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

+1 on the K&N Kit.........you wont believe the stuff that comes out of that filter. After I did mine the first time, the car had to re-adjust itself for the increased airflow.......
Old 07-25-2008, 02:58 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

I have the FRPP CAI and they told me to clean it every 30-50k miles!!! And NOT to re-oil it. Thats what tech support said from FRPP, yes. And they said the dirtier it is, the better it works!?!? I was also told by Ford to keep using the FRPP oil filters vs the Motorcraft FL820 because the CAI does not filter as well as the stock air box filter. I cleaned my CAI at 12k, used K&N cleaner, let it air dry, and put it back. FRPP's advice sounds crazy though. Gut feeling, I feel compelled to clean it at say, every 10k AND re oil it lightly.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:03 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

I would think their advice would be true on an untuned car. Once you load up a Brenspeed tune (etc.) that accounts for more airflow, you'd want to keep it clean. I dont know that to be true though.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:09 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I just cleaned my C&L CAI filter today. It was black. I used the K&N recharger kit. The instructions are inside the box. I'll probably buy a new filter sometime just so I can switch it out while the other one is getting cleaned.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:10 AM
joemagna
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ffk_pennywise

Buying a new filter is a waste of money. Go to Autozone or wherever and buy a K&N cleaning kit. You just spray the cleaner on your CAI, then blast it with your water hose until it looks nice and clean. Set it in the sun for the day, until its good and dry, then use the spray oil that came in the cleaning kit to give it a nice light coat, then put it back on the car. I do mine whenever it gets to looking good and gross. The last few times I've cleaned it, i've gotten a .5 mpg boost. When my mileage drops I kinda know its about time for a cleaning.
I guess it depends on how much your time is worth to you, how long it takes you to buy the cleaning kit, clean the filter, and let it dry. Using a very basic formula to determine what my time is worth to me, buying a filter IS NOT a waste of my money.

IFyou earn $75,000 a year, your time is worth $39 an hour. I have a pretty sound economic reason to pull out the checkbook instead of that filter cleaning kit. It may be a waste of your money though, depending on how much you make.

Quick Reply: CLEANING CAI