Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying a new mustang! Just a few questions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 12:12 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Default RE: Looking at buying a new mustang! Just a few questions....

Own it or trade it in, either way.
OWNER LOYALTY CASH
It has to be a98 year model or newer.
I think you have to prove ownership
and jump thru a hoop thats on fire.

$2,000 Customer Cash + $2,000 Owner Loyalty Cash + $500 Ford Credit Bonus Cash. Owner Loyalty Cash available to customers that currently own or lease a 1998 or newer Ford car, SUV, or truck through F-550 and purchase a new 2008 Mustang. Offer not available on Red Carpet Lease or with Lease Renewal Cash. Proof of ownership required. Trade-in not required. Ford Credit Bonus Cash requires Ford Credit financing. Not all buyers will qualify. Residency restrictions apply. Excludes Mustang Shelby GT, GT Bullitt, and Shelby GT500. Take new retail delivery from dealer stock by 9/2/2008. See dealer for qualifications and complete details. *EPA-estimated 17 city, 26 hwy mpg, V6 manual transmission. Based on CYTD sales 1985-2008.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:11 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Good luck getting rid of the truck. You need to sell it outright...no dealer is going to give you ANYWHERE near KBB or NADA...expect 60-70% of "good" trade in...max. Some dealers dont even want them at all.

FWIW, I just picked up a loaded 208 V6 premium pony with everything...leather, heated seats, abs etc...beautiful car and drives/handles great. Been averaging 26 mpg too (400 miles per tank)...as my daily driver, I could not be happier! Out the door for cash it was $20K (taxes were on me). I had $2500 in rebates in there I believe.

Some extra bucks for some gofast parts, tune etc...and I have a screaming deal...could not be happier.

I dumped my Durango...12 mpg was just silly. I lucked out and found someone with horses that needed a trailer puller. I did ok on it. Trade-in was around $17K...the highest offer I got from three dealers was $11K...ouch! Sold it for $18K cash.

If you are flexible...look into Carmax. They have great prices and literally hundreds of Mustangs to pick from. They will ship them from any location to an east coast location for a small fee if you arrange a deal. Gotta dump that truck though first.

I live in St. Louis where they make the Ram's. There are 50K+ new trucks sitting in their hold lot with no place to go....it is literally 1000 acres of new trucks with no buyers...amazing. Dodge can turn them out at full bore or shut down...there is no in between. That flood of new trucks with $7-12K rebates is killing your value.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:33 PM
bossdriver
1st Gear Member

I just got back from the MCA show in Oakville, ON. The local dealer had a '09 Shelby GT 500 on display there. On the window sticker they were giving a $1000 off the MSRP price if bought at the show! I was surprised at this as all the dealers in Michigan, where I'm from are still jacking up the prices on any GT500. It also said on this car that they wouldtake XYZ plan discounts offall their remaining 08 Shelby cars in stock.....WOW! So, if they are doing this for Shelby Mustangs I can only wonder what kind of discounts you might get on regular '08 GT Mustangs in their stock. I don't remember the dealer name but they are somewhere in the Oakville, ON area. Might be worth checking out.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:56 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

If you're looking to purchase new, then you should probably wait for the refresh. You're only a few months away.

The 2009 model year is abbreviated. The new 2010 Mustang will be here in the first few months of 2009 to compete with the Camaro.

Your truck has probably depreciated quite a bit because of the gas crisis. (Mustang prices have been dropping, too!) Have you consider buying looking at used cars? My 2006 GT has 9,500 miles on it and I doubt it's worth anywhere near $20k on a trade in.

I've owned eight cars. Six used and two used. I may not buy a new car again. There's always a 4 or 5 year old, well kept, low mileage vehicle out there.

A quick search on Autotrader.com for a:

2005+ Mustang GT
Automatic
< 15,000 miles
< $22,000
< 100 miles of where I live...

Netted about 40 cars! Convertibles and coupes. There are no shortages of used, near mint Mustangs out there.

If you just want a V6, then you can pick up an '07 for about $15k. It took about 30 seconds for me to find several online with about 10k to 15k miles on them....some convertibles, some coupes.

Why look at only 2008 models? What's the advantage? Warranty? Cars are built so well nowadays that I consider anything under 20k miles to be new.

Heck, even a Mustang with 50k miles should last you at least 100k or 150k miles with out much trouble. Probably longer than that.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:30 PM
snooj
1st Gear Member

Thank you all for your help. I have managed to find a Mustang GT, with leather and most goodies, for pretty cheap. Lots of chit chat with the dealer, and he marked it down to 22k. I cannot argue with that at all for brand new! Provided I can toss the truck, I'll be picking it up.

ORIGINAL: illin

Good luck getting rid of the truck. You need to sell it outright...no dealer is going to give you ANYWHERE near KBB or NADA...expect 60-70% of "good" trade in...max. Some dealers dont even want them at all.

Yeah, I have noticed the issue. The truck I have is a pretty fancy one though, so it's not quite as badly priced as other trucks. Dealerships are offering 12-20k for it, and the one that gave me the nice deal on the mustang even gave me advice on how to do a private sale. Says I should be able to sell it for 23-24k. So we'll see how that goes.

Can't wait to get a mustang again!
Old 08-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

you can always get a used one, just search cars.com
Old 08-09-2008, 05:03 PM
fastford20

i dont know if you want a v6 or v8 but here in nashville they are HURTING for sales i was up there actually the other day and saw a 08 v6 with pony package and they said they would let it go for 15,500 which we all no isnt quit the bottom dollar and the v8's are very low 20's high 19's
Old 08-09-2008, 10:18 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: illin

FWIW, I just picked up a loaded 208 V6 premium pony with everything...leather, heated seats, abs etc...beautiful car and drives/handles great. Been averaging 26 mpg too (400 miles per tank)...as my daily driver, I could not be happier! Out the door for cash it was $20K (taxes were on me). I had $2500 in rebates in there I believe.

Some extra bucks for some gofast parts, tune etc...and I have a screaming deal...could not be happier.

I dumped my Durango...12 mpg was just silly. I lucked out and found someone with horses that needed a trailer puller. I did ok on it. Trade-in was around $17K...the highest offer I got from three dealers was $11K...ouch! Sold it for $18K cash.

If you are flexible...look into Carmax. They have great prices and literally hundreds of Mustangs to pick from. They will ship them from any location to an east coast location for a small fee if you arrange a deal. Gotta dump that truck though first.

I live in St. Louis where they make the Ram's. There are 50K+ new trucks sitting in their hold lot with no place to go....it is literally 1000 acres of new trucks with no buyers...amazing. Dodge can turn them out at full bore or shut down...there is no in between. That flood of new trucks with $7-12K rebates is killing your value.

well when i was gonna trade my truck in for an 08 charger (v6) all the dealers were quoting me 12,000 - 13,000 for my truck and knocking off some off the charger, anyway the best deal was $12,000 difference for a $21,000 sticker price car....went to the ford dealer and they said they would give me 16,900 for my truck, and out the door for a $28,100 mustang they did $8,000 tax and all...they are asking $21,000 now for the truck and suggested retail on it is only 19,000 lol...the guy that gave me the number for my truck just called his friend from the dodge dealer and without even looking at the truck told the guy thats what it as worth and the guy took it, dumbasses but whatever lol
Old 08-10-2008, 03:27 AM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

some dealers also still have some 07's lying around. they'll offer you a great deal, but at the dealership where i got mine (galpin) the 07's they had were either ridiculously priced saleen pj's or riced out moded from gas of course 07 gt's with hideous interiors.

hope that didn't make buying an 07 horrifying.