Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pypes Mid-Muffler System Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 04:49 PM
kthulhu
1st Gear Member

Default Pypes Mid-Muffler System Installed!

Howdy folks!

I finally got fed up with the drone from my Flowmasters and ordered the Pypes Mid-Muffler system from Brenspeed. First off, kudos to Brenspeed! I ordered the system Sunday night and it was on my doorstep before 1pm Wednesday. Opened up the box and verified all the parts where there and it was off to my local muffler shop for the install.

Having read all the install posts, I had made up my mind from the start to just have a shop do the install. Glad I did. Besides the time and aggravation of doing this install from the ground, my shop also had to relocate the left rear exhaust hanger and gently bend the left rear section a bit to get the tips to line up.

End result is awesome and well worth the money. Far as sound volume is concerned, the Pypes Mid-Muffler system is actually a bit quieter than my Flowmaster 40's were at idle. Under throttle, they are just as loud, maybe a teeny bit more pronounced. I was kind of worried that my car would be so loud that my neighbors would be at my door with swords and torches, but that isn't the case at all.

Sound quality is another matter all together. There is just -no- comparison. Drone is all but eliminated and my Mustang really has that old musclecar American V-8 sound. Reminds me the most of my old '73 Dodge Charger.

Bottom line: I really am impressed with the sensible volume and blown away by the quality of the exhaust note. I'm also very glad I took my car to a shop to have this system installed, as I'm not sure I could have gotten the tips to line up if I had done it myself.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:01 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kthulhu
Howdy folks!

I finally got fed up with the drone from my Flowmasters and ordered the Pypes Mid-Muffler system from Brenspeed. First off, kudos to Brenspeed! I ordered the system Sunday night and it was on my doorstep before 1pm Wednesday. Opened up the box and verified all the parts where there and it was off to my local muffler shop for the install.

Having read all the install posts, I had made up my mind from the start to just have a shop do the install. Glad I did. Besides the time and aggravation of doing this install from the ground, my shop also had to relocate the left rear exhaust hanger and gently bend the left rear section a bit to get the tips to line up.

End result is awesome and well worth the money. Far as sound volume is concerned, the Pypes Mid-Muffler system is actually a bit quieter than my Flowmaster 40's were at idle. Under throttle, they are just as loud, maybe a teeny bit more pronounced. I was kind of worried that my car would be so loud that my neighbors would be at my door with swords and torches, but that isn't the case at all.

Sound quality is another matter all together. There is just -no- comparison. Drone is all but eliminated and my Mustang really has that old musclecar American V-8 sound. Reminds me the most of my old '73 Dodge Charger.

Bottom line: I really am impressed with the sensible volume and blown away by the quality of the exhaust note. I'm also very glad I took my car to a shop to have this system installed, as I'm not sure I could have gotten the tips to line up if I had done it myself.
Hmm I'm confused here....Is the drone gone or not? LOL any sound clips?
Old 09-10-2008, 05:06 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

I believe what he's saying is that there is very little, if any, drone.

Congrats. I hope to change over to that myself one day.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:08 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

ya.. so its gone right!? lol..

i have the MM's too but with an O/R H.. i like the sound.. but i think somehting is wrong with mine.. not sure if you read my post last night about it.. but its reallllly trumpety..

but congrats.. they are a good system for the most part.. SPECIALLY for the money!
Old 09-10-2008, 05:20 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

CONGRATS!!! I love my mm setup. So much better than my old JBA setup. the sound truly is amazing
Old 09-10-2008, 05:30 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You can get the tips lined up, it just takes some creative bending of the passenger side hangers. They do sound nice and the drone is almost zero.

Here's an under car video of my pypes MM's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-71-fgcDjxc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ammp24pjxE
Old 09-10-2008, 06:04 PM
kthulhu
1st Gear Member

I say "all but gone" because there is still some resonance in the car at the point it used to drone, but it's hardly noticeable compared to before.

It's funny, my passenger side pipe lined up just fine. It was my drivers side pipes that had to be "persuaded".
Old 09-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Mine trumpets too with an off-road h pipe but it's a different tone than with any rear mounted muffler. I can stand the rapping noise better and it has a slimmer rpm band.

MM's are the best I've found for the S197... Until a small under-car chambered muffler is designed.... they could sell thousands of those.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:46 PM
pat123
3rd Gear Member

I really like my Pypes; I had FlowMasters on my 06 and was not impressed with them at all.