Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****ING BUMMER

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:15 PM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

ok i have some of that stuf on the hood as well, so i'll be sure to point it ut tomorrow.

about the pictures, the thing is so small that it won't appear in pictures haha. i'm surprised it caught my eye, i wasn't even detailing or anythnig. jsut before getting in my car to go to school i just looked straight at it...put a damper on my whole ****ing day. glad to see it can/will be resolved. bummer on no new roof though :P i want the glassback!
Old 09-18-2008, 06:32 AM
jet21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
I don't wanna burst you guys bubbles lol, but if it didn't happened yet, it won't.

My guess is that it's not corrosion, but rather prep contamination at the factory.
The sweat/moisture of a human finger on bare metal or aluminum is enough to screw the pootch.

Who knows what happens at the plant...
Or residual chemicals/solvents. The kicker is that this problem hasn't been solved in over what, 5 or 6 years? Its another red herring like the cowl leak! Once these manufacturing problems were discovered proper action should have taken place to insure these problems are resolved forever...but no, they continue on at the owners expense. I've always bought GM cars. My 08 Mustang is the first Ford I bought. If I get those paint bubbles, it will be the last Ford I ever buy. I have a 1984 Chevy S-10 with only 19,000 miles on it. I bought it new and keep it garage kept. I don't drive it in the winter snow/ice/salt. The paint on it still looks almost new and 0 rust. I can imagine what a current mustang will look like that has the bubbling problems.

What happens at the plant......I don't think we want to know BUT many years ago I worked one production year on the Mustang Assembly line welding door hinges and installing doors. Quality was poor, bad welds due to the welding machine...holes burnt into the metal, not full adhersion of the hinges. Show it to the foreman and he says let it go. Quantity was the goal, not quality.

Last edited by jet21; 09-18-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:45 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by jet21
Or residual chemicals/solvents. The kicker is that this problem hasn't been solved in over what, 5 or 6 years? Its another red herring like the cowl leak! Once these manufacturing problems were discovered proper action should have taken place to insure these problems are resolved forever...but no, they continue on at the owners expense. I've always bought GM cars. My 08 Mustang is the first Ford I bought. If I get those paint bubbles, it will be the last Ford I ever buy. I have a 1984 Chevy S-10 with only 19,000 miles on it. I bought it new and keep it garage kept. I don't drive it in the winter snow/ice/salt. The paint on it still looks almost new and 0 rust. I can imagine what a current mustang will look like that has the bubbling problems.

What happens at the plant......I don't think we want to know BUT many years ago I worked one production year on the Mustang Assembly line welding door hinges and installing doors. Quality was poor, bad welds due to the welding machine...holes burnt into the metal, not full adhersion of the hinges. Show it to the foreman and he says let it go. Quantity was the goal, not quality.
Like GM is a better quality. NOT!

Anyway, they had that problem on F150 from 97 on, also aluminum hoods.
Residual chemicals will cause corrosion since you don't have a good bond to the metal.
It's porous, therefore creates moisture.
Corrosion will occur in a couple of hours.

As far as your S10...I can't see how it's gonna get damage when it's garage kept and never see winter.
A Mustang will do just the same in those ideal conditions.
There is a member here (wasvette) that has an 06 with 120K miles on it, and no issue of any kind yet. Not even a clutch.
I'm not surprised...
I only buy Fords and never had problems with them, so I'll stick to it.

The Mustang is still the best deal for the buck.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:56 AM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

Residual chemicals will cause corrosion since you don't have a good bond to the metal.

As far as your S10...I can't see how it's gonna get damage when it's garage kept and never see winter.
There is a member here (wasvette) that has an 06 with 120K miles on it, and no issue of any kind yet. Not even a clutch.
I'm not surprised...

+2 to that.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:36 AM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

well mine is garge kept and not rain/witner driven (except today sicne i'm going to the dealer and it's abotu to rain it seems) i hope this never happens again because i will be sad. i wanna keep this car, literally, for like, ever.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:48 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I have the same issue on the lip of my hood. This is an adhesion problem and from what I'm told is that repairing it will only temporarily solve the problem and it may come back again. I in discusions wit Ford now. I went to two body shops and they both say that the hood needs to be replaced.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:49 PM
jet21
1st Gear Member

I'm not surprised...

All these 08 mustangs with paint bubbles, many have not seen snow and aren't even a year old and these corrosion problems?? Thats quality? Ha! And scrape it off, prime and touchup paint it? Thats some real good advice from a body tech??? NOT!
Old 09-18-2008, 01:51 PM
jet21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AlloySixxer
Thanks for the help. I'll be going to the dealer soon.

Good decision. Have it done right, not some forum patch job that won't last a month.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:55 PM
jet21
1st Gear Member

This is corrosion all right.
The hood isn't an isolated case but the rear lid is a first for me.

Scrape it off, brush some etch primer and touch it up with black paint with a tiny brush.

First you said it isn't corrosion now you say it is. Make up your mind.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:46 PM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

ok so at the dealr i met up with the body guy, said there was probably sumething under the paint as they were paiting it and that he could repaint the whole roof under warranty, which sounds ok with me! (especially since the hood had a few scratches from when i bought it that always bothered me!)

my main concern now is will this reoccur? pascal you said that whatever manufacturing defects would've shown by now, or at least by the end of my warranty term. does this mean that this will be a permanent fix?

Quick Reply: ****ING BUMMER