Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Install w/ Weird Results

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:36 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

tiny pin hole to drain any condesenation out of the shaft. Just sounds like U joints are probably bad on the shaft. Pretty sure mine are going out right now. Lowered the car?
Old 11-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I could swear I heard somewhere the stock S197 driveshaft is "fluid-damped". That would explain the strange fluid leaking out and the thump of an un-balanced DS.

I think you're going to need a new DS, aftermarket or otherwise. Should be some guys selling stock ones after replacing with aftermarket. I let the shop that installed my 4'' aluminum one keep the stocker. They wanted to use it to try to make custom ones.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:05 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

If your looking for one piece shafts let me know.....my buddy is trying to start up a parts/shop business and he sells one piecers for 05+ stangs. PM me. good price.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:13 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

When I did my gears I noticed the driveshaft has a CV type boot on it. Weird but I guess thats how it had to be done. I would replace the driveshaft. Good excuse to get a aluminum one anyway
Old 11-18-2008, 02:14 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

They put one piece alum shafts on f150's but put huge rediculous 42lb, two piece, fluid dampended shafts on a mustang. gotta love it.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:05 AM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

So yesterday was productive.

On The Rotational Thumping:
They did some more inspection and after pulling everything apart again, they found that the ring gear had a small flaw. Apparently on the outside of one of the teeth there was a small raised imperfection that was obscured by the coating on the gear. They were able to grind it down and take care of the problem. I guess where it was, it really wasn't in the normal conatact area, but was raise just enough to cause a little contact on rotation. That is where the noise was coming from. So I guess it is all back together now.

On the D/S:
So I know ppl keep saying the gear oil thing, but this wasn't a gear oil, it was a much different viscocity (thicker). When he took it to Ford and the driveline shop the general concensus is that it is still drivable (the duration is the question), but it needs to be replaced. I would like to get a Spydershaft. I talked to them yesterday as well as some vendors (found one with it in stock) and feel really good about it, but $700 right before x-mas doesn't sit well with me. Even if the wife OK'd the purchase. I found one at a junk yard for $200, but don't know anything about the car, driver, etc. Then I remembered one of my buddies replaced his with a Coast 1-piece. So I called him to see if he has his stock one and sure enough he does. And he'll let me have it for $50, plus for a 6-pack I can probably use the "man garage" (aka lift) and get a hand to swap it out. So that is what we are going to do until I'm sure the finances are good for the Spydershaft (I enjoy a $0 CC balance and want to keep i that way). So even though the wife said it is okay to get it whenever, I'm going to wait a little bit, but $50 is a good stop gap.

I pick it up this afternoon, couldn't yesterday because it was little man's birthday and the zoo trumps the car hands down.

I'll come back after some road miles to let everyone know where it stands.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:02 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Sounds good, glad it all got resolved.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:32 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

So I put in a "new" (okay used, but I know the doner car) D/S this morning and the little bit of vibration that was there after all of the problems now seems to be gone!!! YAY ME!!!

Some had questioned if the grease thing was even possible, others had wanted pictures. So I provide you with those pictures from today. The grease was really thick. I'm thinking about cutting into the C/V boot on the D/S and possibly the D/S itself to see what was going on. Anyway, enjoy the badness that WAS my D/S and looks to be the cause of some vibrations.

Axle End of Original D/S:

Pinion Flange before cleaning:

All Clean And Ready For New D/S:
Old 11-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Back N Black
2nd Gear Member

I'd say it's leaking mochachino. Take it back to Starbucks for a replacement.