Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everyone with springs I want your .02!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 01:40 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

this has gotten way out of control.

i put my suspension mods in my signature not to show what i DO have but what i DON'T have.

what is this car for? a 1/4 mile track machine? autocross? daily driver? a mix of all those?

if all you want is to lower your car for looks then there are plenty of guys on here that have thrown springs on their car, and that's it, and they are plenty happy with it. sure, your shocks/struts will probably fail prematurely and your ride might be a little harsh, but if you don't care, well, then that's OK! your axle might even shift an 1/2" - 1", but if someone else has to point that out to you, not a big deal. the world will continue to turn and your car will not blow up!

you can argue about a lot of things. just come on over to the 'handling performance' section and you will see some very passionate arguing. but i've learned in life it is almost impossible to argue against personal experience.

my personal experience is that all that uca, lca, relocation bracket stuff is overkill and superfluous for a daily driver! i didn't buy camber bolts and didn't need them.

i spent months reading and researching and constantly evaluating what i wanted from my car and what parts i needed to get it there.

argonaut's track reports have got me interested in road racing so i'm gonna hit the track next year and then i'll see what i need to add to my car, if anything...

everyone has an opinion about the "right" way to lower the s197. but that's just it, what is "right" has been argued ad nausem! you have to decide what is right for you.

find out about my parts, costs, and decision process from my lengthy write up here:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197-handling-section/425076-lowered-ultralites-dspecs-pics-more.html

good luck!

Last edited by timothyrw; 11-28-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:13 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

^^^Good post.
Very important to decide what the car will be used for first.
It is personal preference...I enjoy taking corners at 60+ mph and running throught the twistes in the mountains so I added a few more suspension parts because of it.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:24 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timothyrw
this has gotten way out of control.

i put my suspension mods in my signature not to show what i DO have but what i DON'T have.

what is this car for? a 1/4 mile track machine? autocross? daily driver? a mix of all those?

if all you want is to lower your car for looks then there are plenty of guys on here that have thrown springs on their car, and that's it, and they are plenty happy with it. sure, your shocks/struts will probably fail prematurely and your ride might be a little harsh, but if you don't care, well, then that's OK! your axle might even shift an 1/2" - 1", but if someone else has to point that out to you, not a big deal. the world will continue to turn and your car will not blow up!

you can argue about a lot of things. just come on over to the 'handling performance' section and you will see some very passionate arguing. but i've learned in life it is almost impossible to argue against personal experience.

my personal experience is that all that uca, lca, relocation bracket stuff is overkill and superfluous for a daily driver! i didn't buy camber bolts and didn't need them.

i spent months reading and researching and constantly evaluating what i wanted from my car and what parts i needed to get it there.

argonaut's track reports have got me interested in road racing so i'm gonna hit the track next year and then i'll see what i need to add to my car, if anything...

everyone has an opinion about the "right" way to lower the s197. but that's just it, what is "right" has been argued ad nausem! you have to decide what is right for you.

find out about my parts, costs, and decision process from my lengthy write up here:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425076

good luck!

Wow thanks for all the advice.....also nice write up
Old 12-02-2008, 07:37 AM
kidnizmo
2nd Gear Member

Default roush rears...nice look

Originally Posted by wingman75
If you are really concerned with scraping bottom do what I did. Of course you won't get as big a drop but you won't scrape either. I have the Roush rear springs only. The pics show what the drop looks like. The big gap in the rear wheel well is what I wanted to get rid of the most. It sits nice and level now. I would like a lower stance but I have a CDC chin and its pretty low and sticks out a lot in the front and our roads in metro Detroit are not the best either.

Wingman nice look, what tire size are you running? did you use replace the shocks and phb also? i ordered the roush rear springs and im just wondering.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:22 AM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

Well I just heard from the Mustang Guru in the SE WI area who will be doing my install, he said I really dont need an adj. panhard bar......sigh, what to do now.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:41 AM
washamur
3rd Gear Member

I use mine as a daily driver ... no track use, nothing like that.

I went w/ the Eibach Pro Kit over the Sportlines because the roads here are just way too bad for the Sportlines. However the chin spoiler has given me some trouble w/ certain spots.

Anyhow -- nothing else was bought .. no panhard, nothing:
Old 12-02-2008, 09:59 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kidnizmo
Wingman nice look, what tire size are you running? did you use replace the shocks and phb also? i ordered the roush rear springs and im just wondering.
Thanks kid. I just did the rear springs no other suspension mods. I don't notice any difference with handling at all.

Front - 255/45/18
Rear - 285/40/18
Old 12-02-2008, 01:48 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mynameismike65
Well I just heard from the Mustang Guru in the SE WI area who will be doing my install, he said I really dont need an adj. panhard bar......sigh, what to do now.
Go ahead and install the springs, then check and see if the body is centered over the rear wheels. If the body is not centered you will need an adjustable panhard bar if you want to line things back up.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:56 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Eibach Pro Kit on mine, did not need anything else since everything stayed centered and was able to do an alinement with no issues. It also gave my car a way cool raked look. Any lower on the front end I would run into some real issues but for now I only scrape sometimes if I'm not real careful over bad driveways.

Last edited by CutterWolf; 12-02-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:22 PM
bmr251
1st Gear Member

i have the Sportlines and love them... ive been on stock shocks for almost a year and the ride although it takes some getting used to is very bearable (and worth every extra bump!)