Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Charger/How do I convince the Wife?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:37 PM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

I spent 3 years in a sales organization specializing in the "one-call-close" - this is a classic case of combining price conditioning and customer needs assessment. You must ask her questions that prompt her to explain what it will take for her to accept your increasing the performance of the Stang, while simultaneously exposing her to the most expensive scenarios that would achieve your goal.

Concentrate on HER & how SHE will feel after the goal is achieved. Show her how much upgrading to a GT would cost, and what a shame it'd be to lose all that you put into the V6 to depreciation; THEN show her how the SC would essentially make it a GT for less than HALF!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:01 PM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iROK24/7
I spent 3 years in a sales organization specializing in the "one-call-close" - this is a classic case of combining price conditioning and customer needs assessment. You must ask her questions that prompt her to explain what it will take for her to accept your increasing the performance of the Stang, while simultaneously exposing her to the most expensive scenarios that would achieve your goal.

Concentrate on HER & how SHE will feel after the goal is achieved. Show her how much upgrading to a GT would cost, and what a shame it'd be to lose all that you put into the V6 to depreciation; THEN show her how the SC would essentially make it a GT for less than HALF!
Might work. The only problem here is if she has any experience in sales, she will know instantly she is being manipulated. I've received lots of free vacations because I was willing to endure a timeshare "sales presentation" where the hotel representatives took exactly this approach. Sometimes I take the same tack with the sales rep by asking them lots of questions, like, "What, other than me buying something, would it take for you to stop this sales pitch right now?" They usually seem stunned, like only they knew the secret magic of "answering objections."
Old 12-31-2008, 01:16 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

This is eazy, just buy her a Diamond and she won't even care your getting the S/C
Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 PM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Va. Stang
Plus tell her you will owe her! Big time.
A negative persepective about this: diamonds CAN cost more than the go-fast goodies. Trust me, "big time" = diamonds.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:59 AM
Seabee
2nd Gear Member

my wife was just reading this and said just keep talking bout it, it annoys her and now she has given in where i can get it at christmas if we have the money..lol
Old 01-03-2009, 02:13 AM
ILikeBond
1st Gear Member

Tell her you don't get to choose what color tampons she buys; she doesn't get to choose what mustang mods you buy. Period. (heh heh)

(FWIW, I'm about to do a ~$10,000 suspension and exterior overhaul project on my 2005 GT and primed my wife by buying her a diamond pendant for Christmas so she didn't think I only spend my (our) money on me). I told her tonight that I bought wheels and a hood already, and that she had already approved it, which she didn't remember doing, strangely. Meh. She got over it.)
Old 01-03-2009, 02:30 AM
moburto07GT
2nd Gear Member

i guess i am one of the fortunate few whose girlfriend/wife is as big a gear head as i am... all i have to do is say "hunny i'm buying something for the Mustang" and she says "ok as long as we have the money go for it"... :-)

as far as the OP i say just keep bringing it up until she is so tired of hearing about it she gives in....
Old 01-03-2009, 03:08 AM
A1SALEEN
3rd Gear Member

Smile

LOL... I'll never forget the look on my wifes face when she saw the new saleen apart in the garage... she asked.. what are you doing ? why is the car apart in the garage? I said I'm putting the supercharger on.... she said what supercharger?... I said the one that was in that box..... she then asked well how much did that cost? I said alot... then she asked... Well how long is it going to take to put it on ? I said I'm not sure... the intercooler tubing is still at the chrome plating shop....
Old 01-03-2009, 05:05 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Easy.....just buy her something that she has been wanting of equal or lesser value......bang your both happy!
Old 01-03-2009, 05:16 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
Easy.....just buy her something that she has been wanting of equal or lesser value......bang your both happy!
Lesser.....Much Less lol but, make sure its REALLY nice. Superchargers nice but, our ladies deserve the best as well